Happy Martin Luther King Jr Day

16 Jan 2018 16:42 #11 by FredHayek
An amusing side note, former FBI director James Comey posted a letter MLK had sent on his Twitter account Monday. Someone replied, "The FBI is used to reading the Reverend's mail and still does I see."

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

21 Jan 2019 14:55 #12 by ScienceChic
In a time where it seems it's all too easy to get quickly outraged, listening to understand others is at an all-time low, divisiveness is escalating, and our government is more dysfunctional than ever, this seemed a good quote of his to share.

Though times are troubled, I truly believe we will come through this stronger than ever and better than before. Our nation has always withstood the challenges we've faced with resilience and ingenuity, a strong adherence to what is right and just, a bit of humor and tons of grace. Every moment is a learning opportunity and a path forward that we face together.

"The greatness of America lies not in being more enlightened than any other nation, but rather in her ability to repair her faults." ~Alexis de Tocqueville

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill
Attachments:

20 Jan 2020 21:49 #13 by ScienceChic
On Martin Luther King Jr. Day, and the eve of the 3rd impeachment trial in our history, some germane quotes:

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere. We are caught in an inescapable network of mutuality, tied in a single garment of destiny. Whatever affects one directly, affects all indirectly." ~Martin Luther King Jr., Letter from a Birmingham Jail, April 1963

"But we refuse to believe that the bank of justice is bankrupt. We refuse to believe that there are insufficient funds in the great vaults of opportunity of this nation. So we've come to cash this check, a check that will give us upon demand the riches of freedom and the security of justice.

I say to you today, my friends, though, even though we face the difficulties of today and tomorrow, I still have a dream. It is a dream deeply rooted in the American dream. I have a dream that one day this nation will rise up, live out the true meaning of its creed: "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal."

~Martin Luther King Jr., "I Have a Dream" speech, 1963

"The world now demands a maturity of America that we may not be able to achieve."
~Martin Luther King Jr., "Beyond Vietnam" speech, April 1967

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill
Attachments:

18 Jan 2021 20:21 - 18 Jan 2021 20:56 #14 by ScienceChic
Up until Chadwick Boseman died, this was one of the quotes in my signature:
The hope of a secure and livable world lies with disciplined nonconformists who are dedicated to justice, peace and brotherhood. ~Martin Luther King, Jr

That his words resonate still today exemplifies not only his wisdom, but how little has yet changed. Choose love. Choose compassion. Hold fiercely to truth, justice, and honor. We cannot go wrong if that is the basis for every action we take. Though times are unsettled, it is my continued hope that we will get through this stronger and more united as a country.

"Though force can protect in emergency, only justice, fairness, consideration and cooperation can finally lead men to the dawn of eternal peace." ~Dwight D. Eisenhower[/font][/size]

19 Jan 2021 07:02 #15 by homeagain
How unbearably sad, that those words STILL have no bearing on the tragic trends we witness. WE R BROKEN (as mentioned before)....when do we become "unbroken"??RESILIENCE AND RESOLVE seem
to be absent from our collective minds....:MLKDream:

17 Jan 2022 11:57 #16 by ScienceChic
As I listened once again to Dr. King's Nobel Peace Prize acceptance speech, I was struck at how much our society has grown and improved. Yes, we still have church, school, and public shootings and, and some racially motivated killings, but no longer do we have 40 black churches burned to the ground altogether and protest movements for racial equality in which dogs are set loose on participants and protestors killed by police. We have different issues today which occupy the news and our lives, but at the heart of it remains injustice, fear, and intolerance of that which is different. That is why I chose the quotes I posted below, because I have hope and faith in a better future, and optimism that we can work together to make a better nation and world for our children. A pathway away from extremism, intolerance, hatred of others, and divisive partisanship because we all deserve representation, equality, justice, and a fair chance to achieve the American Dream. I wish you all a Happy Martin Luther King Jr Day.

:MLKDream:
I accept this award today with an abiding faith in America and an audacious faith in the future of mankind. I refuse to accept despair as the final response to the ambiguities of history. I refuse to accept the idea that the “isness” of man’s present nature makes him morally incapable of reaching up for the eternal “oughtness” that forever confronts him. I refuse to accept the idea that man is mere flotsam and jetsam in the river of life, unable to influence the unfolding events which surround him. ~Martin Luther King Jr. Nobel Peace Prize Acceptance Speech, 1964

We may have all come on different ships, but we're in the same boat now. ~Martin Luther King, Jr.

An individual has not started living until he can rise above the narrow confines of his individualistic concerns to the broader concerns of all humanity. ~Martin Luther King, Jr.

We must develop and maintain the capacity to forgive. He who is devoid of the power to forgive is devoid of the power to love. There is some good in the worst of us and some evil in the best of us. When we discover this, we are less prone to hate our enemies. ~Martin Luther King, Jr.

Nonviolence means avoiding not only external physical violence but also internal violence of spirit. You not only refuse to shoot a man, but you refuse to hate him. ~Martin Luther King, Jr.

An individual has not started living until he can rise above the narrow confines of his individualistic concerns to the broader concerns of all humanity. ~Martin Luther King, Jr.

I believe that unarmed truth and unconditional love will have the final word in reality. ~Martin Luther King, Jr.

Read more at www.brainyquote.com/authors/martin-luthe...#D6CgFAKEGkaztuyE.99

16 Jan 2023 11:52 #17 by ScienceChic
I appreciate this thread every year for all the wisdom Martin Luther King Jr shared. He wasn't a perfect human, but he had admirable goals that, should we embrace them as well, our country would be in a better place. Please take the time to listen to at least one of his speeches today, several are posted up thread.

Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.291 seconds