20 Oct 2014 05:24 #21 by Reverend Revelant
(new articles)

Citizens Determined to Save McArthur protest at Fairplay Community Center
Group sees HMM membership conflict of interest

(free content) www.theflume.com/free_content/article_cd...b5-0017a43b2370.html

Park County forms task force to help develop new outdoor event regulations

(free content) www.theflume.com/free_content/article_13...e2-0017a43b2370.html

HMM opposition group challenges State Land Board on lease negotiations
Residents highlight concerns about traffic, quality of life and the strain on public services

(subscribers only) www.theflume.com/news/first_five/article...89-0017a43b2370.html

Waiting for Armageddon since 33 AD

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

21 Oct 2014 14:15 #22 by swansei
Replied by swansei on topic SAVE McARTHUR GULCH!
Thank you RR for the links.

I've been out of town, what ridiculous business does this during football season, so not totally up to speed and perhaps these questions have been asked and answered earlier. These questions are for those opposed to HHM.

The behavior of HHM certainly hasn't been stellar but I gather SLB's hasn't necessarily been stellar either and they are going to get the most money from its leases that it can? Do we ultimately get any say in SLB's decisions?

I gather SLB has already decided to lease to HMM, so now the focus is looking at what can be done to develop new outdoor event regulations?

And what is the status of Endangered Species Act and the Preble’s Meadow Jumping Mouse since they are in this area? I have not found anything on this.

"There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation... One is by sword...The other is by debt." John Adams 1826.

24 Oct 2014 16:18 - 25 Oct 2014 12:58 #23 by Reverend Revelant
And here is a related article out this week, talking about the formation of the Events Stakeholders committee (it's not free content, it is behind the Flume paywall).

New special event regulations expected by end of 2014
Stakeholder and public input meetings will be held

Posted: Friday, October 24, 2014 2:12 pm
Lynda James, Correspondent | 0 comments

In light of several larger than-normal outdoor events held this summer that had unexpected impacts, this fall Park County began gaining input on revising its outdoor events, temporary use and conditional use permits.

Seventeen stakeholders attended a kick-off meeting on Oct. 13 in Fairplay.

The meeting agenda listed four purposes for forming the stakeholder group.

1) Evaluate the needs and wants of Park County residents with regards to the types, numbers and sizes of events.
2) Review current event permit processes and modify as necessary.
3)Review current event-related land use and other regulations to determine needed modifications.
4) Determine the vision. What do residents want? Are there opportunities to host large events while maintaining county’s heritage, cultural, and recreational resources?

Public input meetings are scheduled for Nov. 4 at the Fairplay Community Center, Nov. 12 at the Hartsel Community Center and Nov. 19 at the Platte Canyon High School, pending confirmation of school availability. All meetings will be held from 5:30 p.m. to 7 p.m.

www.theflume.com/news/first_five/article...6c-001a4bcf6878.html

30 Oct 2014 15:09 - 30 Oct 2014 15:10 #24 by ScienceChic
Replied by ScienceChic on topic SAVE McARTHUR GULCH!
swansei, as far as I know the lease has not been awarded yet. And once awarded, HMM has 18 months to develop a plan for creating the nonprofit, business model for using the property, and developing the property. It isn't a given that what they want to do would pass the steps it has to go through, such as water usage and environmental impact. If I understand the process correctly.

The CDSMG group have sent a couple more emails that I was hoping they would post here, as they have the rest. I have some comments to make regarding them.

I did just receive this from Park County though, and I believe it fits to put it here if you wish to add these dates to your calendar:
Park County Special Events Public Meeting Schedule

File Attachment:

File Name: ParkCoSpec...dule.pdf
File Size:52 KB

Edit to add: it is the same dates as Reverend Revelant posted above.

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill
Attachments:

31 Oct 2014 12:42 #25 by Reverend Revelant
And just to add this. I have a call into Tom Eisenman to try to confirm if they got permission to use Platte Canyon High School for the Bailey/Shawnee meeting that they would like to hold Nov. 19.

I'll update here as soon as I hear from him or I get the date confirmed from another source.

03 Nov 2014 15:54 #26 by concernedcitizen
For Immediate Release:
Monday, November 3, 2014
Contact: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Attorney General Files Suit Against Louisville-Based Dirty Girl Race Owner
Alleges Human Movement Management caused Race Cancellation to facilitate Buy-out

Park County, Colorado: November 3, 2014 –West Virginia Attorney General Patrick Morrisey announced Friday he has filed suit against Louisville-based Dirty Girl and Zombie race producer Human Movement Management Inc. (HMM) alleging “intentional, tortious, unconscionable, negligent and/or unlawful conduct” by HMM, its president Jeff Suffolk, and Massachusetts-based Alta Equity Partners which is alleged to hold a controlling equity interest in HMM.

A news release issued by Morrisey’s office stated:

“… Human Movement allegedly was engaged in a protracted buyout of the Dirty Girl Mud Run brand from 100 LLC. As the sale began to falter, Human Movement along with its principal owners Jeff Suffolk and Alta Equity Partners allegedly began leveraging the cancellation of the July 26 Charleston event to force 100 LLC into an untenable financial position to force the sale of the company. The Complaint alleges Human Movement broke a last minute agreement between it, the Charleston CVB, and 100 LLC in order to force the event to be canceled. Human Movement succeeded in buying the brand name immediately after the event’s cancellation.”

Within 24 hours of the announced cancellation, more than 250 consumer complaints had been filed with the Attorney General’s Office, and continued to be filed in the following days, according to the AG’s office release.

“Many people of this State spent money and made plans to take part in this event and promote a charitable cause. They did not deserve to be treated in this manner,” Morrisey said.

“Despite our previous agreements with 100 LLC and Eventbrite, race participants are still out other expenses they paid in anticipation of the event,” Morrisey said. “It is our hope to make them whole.”

The suit is of particular interest to members of the growing Citizens Determined to Save McArthur Gulch (CDSM), Colorado residents living in communities along the Highway 285 corridor, particularly Jefferson and Park County residents.

CDSM has been sparring with State Land Board staffers for failure to perform basic research and due diligence with respect to presenting a questionable and unprecedented commercial lease proposal to the SLB for initial approval and final negotiations.

“Of course we’re on top of this issue. We’re keeping the SLB, citizens and key leaders apprised of the many unethical business practices by Jeff Suffolk and HMM as they selfishly pursue the 480 pristine acres that comprise McArthur Gulch for their Dirty Girl and Zombie races,” said Pam Jacobus of CDSM.

-30-

Pertinent Links:
www.ago.wv.gov/pressroom/2014/Pages/Atto...ty-Girl-Mud-Run.aspx

www.wvgazette.com/article/20141031/GZ01/141039877

The HMM Development of McArthur Gulch is a threat to our community, environment and wildlife, safety and our wallets.

For more information: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

The State Board of Land Commissioners is a five-person citizen group representing education, agriculture, local government and natural resources, plus one citizen-at-large commissioner. Appointed by the Governor and approved by the Colorado Senate, board members serve four-year terms, with no more than three members from one political party.
Members include: Buck Blessing, President, Michele "Mike" Bloom, Board Vice Chair; Gary Butterworth; Tom Gray, Robert Bledsoe

The board is scheduled to meet Thursday, November 6; 1127 Sherman Street, Second Floor, Denver, CO. Meeting begins at 8:30 AM.

04 Dec 2014 17:34 #27 by Mountain-News-Events
Update on Special Events Permitting Public Review Process: parkco.us/index.aspx?NID=552

Event Application Packet
Park County Draft Event Application Packet

Special Events Planning Schedule
Central Area Public Meeting Notes
North Area Public Meeting Notes
South Area Public Meeting Notes

My Mountain Town Community Calendar - filter events by Category, date, or keyword to easily find events of interest. Add your community, church, or non-profit event to the calendar yourself! Click here to access the submission form. Businesses: please contact us for more information on adding your events! Questions? Email

Community News, Events, and Calendar Forum - Check here for the latest happenings in our community and add your own!

04 Feb 2015 15:49 #28 by concernedcitizen
As many of you have heard, the Park County Board of County Commissioners have nominated McArthur Gulch for increased protection under the State's Stewardship Trust program.

Public comment regarding nominees is open ONLY until February 28, 2015.

It is CRUTIAL the SLB receives as many support letters as possible stating that we support the selection of McArthur Gulch for the Stewardship Trust! Every letter/email matters! Please focus on the attributes of McArthur Gulch and remember this is not about HMM or Jeff Suffolk.

Nominators:
• Park County Board of County Commissioners
• Park County Land Water Trust Board
• Colorado Wildlife Federation
• Colorado Backcountry Hunters & Anglers

The BOCC-submitted documents cited five “Resources of Concern” or areas of specific concern and in need of protection. They are as follows:
1. Wildlife habitat
2. Wetland resources
3. Natural scenic beauty
4. Sportsmen’s access
5. Historical significance

Please note that an official public comment form is available on the SLB website, but does not list the McArthur Gulch property as an option. We recommend you send your own letter and DO NOT use the form available online. Please reference "#2014-121 McArthur Gulch, Park County" in your letter.

Comments can be directed to Mindy Gottsegen, Stewardship Trust Manager:
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Colorado State Board of Land Commissioners
1127 Sherman Street, Suite 300, Denver, CO 80203

Thank you for your continued efforts to Save McArthur Gulch!

11 Mar 2015 11:24 #29 by Mountain-News-Events
McArthur Gulch is on the State Land Board's agenda for the March 13th public meeting. Here is the link to the agenda. www.trustlands.state.co.us/NewsandMedia/...-%20March%202015.pdf

My Mountain Town Community Calendar - filter events by Category, date, or keyword to easily find events of interest. Add your community, church, or non-profit event to the calendar yourself! Click here to access the submission form. Businesses: please contact us for more information on adding your events! Questions? Email

Community News, Events, and Calendar Forum - Check here for the latest happenings in our community and add your own!

11 Mar 2015 16:43 #30 by Mountain-News-Events
Company abandons plan for big events on McArthur Gulch land
By Gabrielle Porter
Wednesday, March 11, 2015

Jeff Suffolk, owner of Louisville-based Human Movement Management, said the mud runs and mammoth events that originally were mentioned in his lease application — and could have drawn up to 10,000 people at a time — are no longer on the table. Instead, Suffolk wants to use the McArthur Gulch land only for K-12 outdoor education retreats, and has modified his application to reflect that.

Suffolk’s request is slated to go before State Land Board commissioners on Friday.

If the State Land Board approves HMM’s current planning lease request, the company would still have to go through Park County’s approval process for any changes in land use.

Contact Gabrielle Porter at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. or 303-350-1042. Check www.HighTimberTimes.com for updates.

Time to create page: 0.186 seconds