National Burger Day!

28 May 2015 07:56 #1 by FredHayek
What is your definition of a perfect burger? I like mine cooked medium rare, with thick slices of cheddar cheese, BBQ sauce, and bacon. :barbeque:

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

28 May 2015 14:35 #2 by cydl
Replied by cydl on topic National Burger Day!
Oh, yeah...medium with swiss, mushrooms and bacon. But I'm not dogmatic - any burger is a good burger!

Saw a news story earlier today about someplace that had a bacon, egg & cheese on a glazed donut. OMG - I'd love every minute of it until I woke up in the ER!

28 May 2015 20:36 #3 by otisptoadwater
Replied by otisptoadwater on topic National Burger Day!
[sarcasm_font]I don't really have an opinion on this topic but...[/sarcasm_font] In my limited experience the "best burger" is a very subjective award, everyone likes something a little different. I had a friend that swore the best burgers ever were sliders from White Castle; I guess if you don't know any better then that's the only reference you have to work with.

For me it starts with the burger, best to start off with a pound of 70/30 ground chuck. I like my burgers square and thick so I can get a (slightly more meat) 1:1 ratio of bun to burger. Season the meat with granulated onion and garlic, fresh ground black pepper, a smidge of cayenne pepper, and a touch of salt then thoroughly mix the meat and spices until well combined and formed into two equal sized patties. Wrap the patties and refrigerate overnight. Grill on high heat but to sear the first side and keep a squirt bottle of water handy to know down the grease fires. Burgers should only be turned once IMHO so if you sear the first side and flip when the first side is done to your satisfaction (watch for the puddle of grease rising to the top side of the burger) flip and sear the other side. Hold burger patty in indirect heat until cooked to you satisfaction. once done let rest for five minutes off of heat so the burger won't fall apart when you put it on the bun.

You're gonna need buns and those tiny cheap white bread buns most grocery stores stock just won't do. Seek out some Kaiser rolls or maybe a couple of Chibata rolls. Get rolls that won't disintegrate under the load of meat, grease and condiments but not so much bread that there's more bread than meat.

What else goes on the ultimate burger? There is an order of operations to observe if you want to have an intact burger down to the last couple of bites. Toast the buns on the grill or if you're like me you've cooked up some bacon, buns love a little browning in bacon grease... If you cooked bacon then saute some mushrooms and onions with a little fresh minced garlic. In the meanwhile begin construction, plate the bottom bun and slather with mayo and then mustard. Lettuce next, preferably a Chiffonade of lettuce, add sliced thin slices of tomato, onions (if you're not having the sauteed onions), pickle chips and pickled jalapenos. Why does it matter which item goes on the bottom bun? Use all of the condiments and accoutrements to trap all of the juices from the burger before they soak into the bottom bun so the sandwich stays intact.

Top bun gets the tomato based sauce(s), be it catsup or BBQ sauce, or salsa. Let's not forget the cheese, many prefer the processed cheese food substance but I'd rather have slices of pepperjack, cheddar, and/or Swiss. Sauteed mushrooms and onions lso belong on top of the burger, it helps to contain the mess and keep from dissolving the bun before you've eaten the burger. When one pattie isn't enough then you can stack and repeat on one bun but this is a place where I think one right sized patty to one bun is the right formula.

I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." - Henry Ford

Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges; When the Republic is at its most corrupt the laws are most numerous. - Publius Cornelius Tacitus

28 May 2015 21:37 #4 by Ashley
Replied by Ashley on topic National Burger Day!
Wow! I guess I know nothing about making burgers. Quite an art it looks like.

29 May 2015 06:06 #5 by cydl
Replied by cydl on topic National Burger Day!
Now you went and did it, Otis. It's only 0600 and I want a burger...

29 May 2015 06:56 #6 by FredHayek
Replied by FredHayek on topic National Burger Day!

Ashley wrote: Wow! I guess I know nothing about making burgers. Quite an art it looks like.

Wow, that man is a burger gourmet!

I do like to use the 80/20 round over the low fat burger that is popular now.

And while I listed BBQ sauce as my favorite, I also like a cheeseburger with the proper mix of ketchup and mustard.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

29 May 2015 18:56 #7 by otisptoadwater
Replied by otisptoadwater on topic National Burger Day!

cydl wrote: Now you went and did it, Otis. It's only 0600 and I want a burger...

Burgers for breakfast, how about the perfect pairing of a cold Pilsner to go with it? Why not!? I suppose it's not really about what time of day it is as much as it's about eating what you want to because we still enjoy the freedoms of being American citizens. Besides, you can't drink all day if you don't start in the morning and it's after noon someplace on the planet.

:flag: :givemebeer:

I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." - Henry Ford

Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges; When the Republic is at its most corrupt the laws are most numerous. - Publius Cornelius Tacitus

30 May 2015 08:52 #8 by ScienceChic
Replied by ScienceChic on topic National Burger Day!
Wow Otis, I'm inviting you over to be my grill-master for my next outdoor BBQ party! :coolwink:

In my younger days, I was a huge burger fiend. I had a friend even joke with me that he could never marry me because all I ever wanted to eat was hamburgers and fried potatoes. (I grew up in a meat-and-potatoes household in the midwest, what can I say?). Turns out he wouldn't have married me anyway b/c he was gay, but that's another story and we're still great friends (he is the best dance club partner ever!). :P

I've gotten away from eating a lot of fatty meat so burgers are a rare treat for me these days. When I do have one though, it has to be covered in dripping sauteed mushrooms and melted swiss cheese, topped with mayo, and is not complete unless there are dill pickles from edge to edge. One of the best burgers I ever had was at Jimmy Buffet's Margaritaville Cafe in Hawaii - unlike Bubba Gumps, Jimmy Buffet's restaurant chain is the real deal, not a marketing gimmick.

If you go out to get one, where do you go? Me, it's either Brooks Place Tavern, Rustic Station, or Smashburger.

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

Time to create page: 0.161 seconds