Reduced public funding for basic research leaves U.S. in the scientific dus

06 May 2015 09:29 - 06 May 2015 09:29 #1 by ScienceChic
Why is this important? Our GDP, and military might for that matter, are tied to scientific discoveries, innovative applications of research findings, and technologies based on basic science discoveries. Keep this up and in very short order we will no longer be the world's greatest superpower. It's that simple.

Reduced public funding for basic research leaves U.S. in the scientific dust
Michael Hiltzik, Los Angeles Times
michael.hiltzik​@latimes.com
April 28, 2015

A new report from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology lists four landmark scientific achievements of the last year: the first spacecraft landing on a comet; the discovery of a new fundamental particle, the Higgs boson; the development of the world's fastest supercomputer; and new research in plant biology pointing to new ways to meet global food needs.

Then comes the punchline: None of these were U.S.-led achievements. The first two were the products of European-led consortia and credit for the second two belongs to the Chinese.

Widespread concern over "a growing U.S. innovation deficit" is well placed, the report's authors say, at least partially attributable to "declining public investment in research." (See accompanying graphic.)

The MIT report is ominously entitled "The Future Postponed: Why Declining Investment in Basic Research Threatens a U.S. Innovation Deficit." It joins several other studies of the declining public funding of basic research, and its implications for America's economic competitiveness, as well as the nation's health and national security. Almost all the arrows point down and the lights are flashing red.

In February 2014, the Chronicle of Higher Education surveyed more than 67,000 researchers with grants from the National Institutes of Health and National Science Foundation. The publication compiled a dismal picture from the 11,000 responses it received. Nearly half the respondents had been forced by economic pressures to abandon an area of investigation they thought "central to their lab's mission." More than three-quarters had been forced to pare back their recruitment of graduate students and research fellows. Nearly half were advising their students to seek careers outside academia or abroad.

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

06 May 2015 10:45 #2 by FredHayek
Less of my tax dollars going to torture canines? Less money spent on unneeded studies about why homosexual men in South America make poor choices after drinking too much.

Kidding. I am sure there is important research affected by the cutting, but I wouldn't mind some of the more unnecessary studies eliminated. I had stoner friends in college in the science fields whose big goal in life was to get some expensive government research grant.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.133 seconds