Science Odds and Ends

13 May 2011 16:18 #221 by ScienceChic
Replied by ScienceChic on topic Science Odds and Ends
Of course! :wink: Thanks for posting those! The first one looks a lot like what was used for the Asgard world's sky in Thor...

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

16 May 2011 06:01 #222 by TPP
Replied by TPP on topic Science Odds and Ends
Just teasing, I knew you'd like them... I'm so at awe looking at space...

17 May 2011 05:05 #223 by TPP
Why aren’t we hearing about this?
Enviroment Pollution - North-America
Event summary
EDIS Number ED-20110511-30679-CAN
Event type: Enviroment Pollution Date / time [UTC]: 11/05/2011 - 03:11:05
Country: Canada Area: About 35 kilometres south of the hamlet of Wrigley
County / State: Northwest Territories City: -
Cause of event: Rainbow pipeline (small oil spill)
Log date [UTC]: 11/05/2011 - 03:11:05
Damage level: Time left: -
Latitude: 62° 52.211 Longitude: 123° 8.416
Dead person(s): N/A Injured person(s): N/A
Missing person(s): N/A Infected person(s): N/A
Evacuated person(s): N/A Affected person(s): N/A
Situation Update No. 1
On 16.05.2011 at 03:04 GMT+2

Cleanup efforts at the Rainbow pipeline oil spill site were suspended after a 15,000-hectare wildfire aided by heavy winds approached the area Sunday. The evacuation order was issued at 11 a.m. Sunday, says a news release from Plains Midstream Canada. The company said it was instructed to evacuate all of its on-site staff. Cleanup is expected to resume once the evacuation order is lifted and the area is deemed safe, the release says. An update posted to the company’s website says a brush fire was reported just 10 kilometres away from the spill site on Saturday. It’s not clear whether that was a separate fire from the one that encroached on the spill site on Sunday. The wildfire broke out in the Utikuma area around 1:45 p.m. Saturday and within 24 hours had spread northwest to cover about 15,000 hectares, said Sustainable Resource Development spokeswoman Crystal Burrows. The Rainbow pipeline normally moves 187,000 barrels of crude oil a day, but has been shut down for more than two weeks after a breach in the pipe spilled at least 28,000 barrels of crude oil into a marsh 30 kilometres from the small First Nations community of Little Buffalo. The spill was the largest in Alberta in three decades, and one of the biggest in the province’s history.
Plains Midstream Canada, the Canadian arm of the company that owns the pipeline, has said the spill was caused by poorly compacted soil under the pipeline and a badly fitted weld. About 37 per cent of the oil has been recovered from the spill, says the latest update from the company. The fire threatening the spill site is about one kilometre wide and 17 kilometres long. “The reason it’s spreading long and narrow is because of the wind,” Burrows said. Winds in the area were gusting at about 80 kilometres per hour, and weren’t expected to subside, she added. The fire was spreading at a rate of about one kilometre per hour and was rapidly approaching nearby hamlets and the oil spill site. “It’s very gusty winds and that’s causing this fire to spread so rapidly,” she said. “It could be in their communities by Monday if the winds keep up.” The communities of Marten River and Little Buffalo were asked to voluntarily evacuate Sunday afternoon, Burrows said, mainly because of heavy smoke blowing into the areas.
Or the MASSIVE FIRES SWEEPING ACROSS RUSSIA? http://hisz.rsoe.hu/alertmap/index2.php

SC, please tell us about the new 100w LED light bulbs....

17 May 2011 09:10 #224 by ScienceChic
Your wish is my command! lol

I've been replacing out the CFLs in my house with the 40 watt equivalent LEDs ($20 at Home Depot), and just found an LED flood light that isn't so harsh and directional - it really looks like a soft white incandescent flood (it's $25, so I only have one so far). I love them and can't wait for a brighter version - the chandelier over my kitchen table needs more powerful bulbs! I also have found candelabra (sp?) versions at Ace Hardware that are replacing out the incandescent ones in my outside house lights. They aren't very bright, but since I have a street light right at my lawn (which sucks, it'll get blown out, "accidentally", one of these days!), and it's bright enough with all the city lights, so I don't really need bright ones on my house.

http://topicfire.com/share/LED-bulbs-hi ... 60736.html
LED bulbs hit 100 watts as federal ban looms
May 16, 2011 By PETER SVENSSON

Two leading makers of lighting products are showcasing LED bulbs that are bright enough to replace energy-guzzling 100-watt light bulbs set to disappear from stores in January.

The new bulbs will also be expensive - about $50 each - so the development may not prevent consumers from hoarding traditional bulbs. The big problem with LEDs is that although they don't produce as much heat as incandescent bulbs, the heat they do create shortens the lifespan and reduces the efficiency of the chips. Cramming a dozen chips together in a tight bulb-shaped package that fits in today's lamps and sockets makes the heat problem worse. The brighter the bulb, the bigger the problem is.

Osram Sylvania, a unit of Germany's Siemens AG, said it has overcome the heat problem and will be showing a pear-shaped 100-watt-equivalent LED bulb this week. It doesn't have a firm launch date, but it usually shows products about a year before they hit store shelves.

Before the 100-watters, there will be 75-watters on the shelves this year. Osram Sylvania will be selling them at Lowe's starting in July. Royal Philips Electronics NV, the world's biggest lighting maker, will have them in stores late this year for $40 to $45.

However, 60-watt bulbs are the big prize, since they're the most common. There are 425 million incandescent light bulbs in the 60-watt range in use in the U.S. today, said Zia Eftekhar, the head of Philips' North American lighting division. The energy savings that could be realized by replacing them with 10-watt LED bulbs is staggering. The DoE expects a 60-watt equivalent LED bulb to cost $10 by 2015

http://topicfire.com/share/New-solar-pr ... 60748.html
New solar product captures up to 95 percent of light energy
May 16, 2011

Efficiency is a problem with today's solar panels; they only collect about 20 percent of available light. Now, a University of Missouri engineer has developed a flexible solar sheet that captures more than 90 percent of available light, and he plans to make prototypes available to consumers within the next five years.

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

17 May 2011 09:45 #225 by TPP
Well, there is always 2 sides to each story...

Than I came across this...

Technology Are You Ready to Pay $50 for a 100-Watt Bulb?
NEW YORK (AP) — Two leading makers of lighting products are showcasing LED bulbs that are bright enough to replace energy-guzzling 100-watt light bulbs set to disappear from stores in January.
Their demonstrations at the LightFair trade show in Philadelphia this week mean that brighter LED bulbs will likely go on sale next year, but after a government ban takes effect.
The new bulbs will also be expensive — about $50 each — so the development may not prevent consumers from hoarding traditional bulbs.

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/are-you-ready-to-pay-50-for-a-100-watt-bulb/

But I guess, $50.00 is going to be less than the cost of the Hazmat Clean-up crew, with the mercury filled swrill algore bulb, if I drop one of those poisionous killers.

BTW:
"Since January, California has already banned stores from restocking 100-watt incandescent bulbs."

Thinking of running, 100-watt incandesent lightbulbs though the desert, wonder what the underground price of incandescent lightbulbs will go for....

Ya in?

18 May 2011 21:41 #226 by ScienceChic
http://www.scientificamerican.com/artic ... al-illness
New Genetics Work Challenges Basic Ideas about Mental Illness
What if schizophrenia or autism are just symptoms of a deeper disorder? A scientist explains the early, exciting findings from copy number variation (CNV) studies.
By Jamie Horder | May 17, 2011

To understand what makes the new discoveries so novel, it’s necessary to appreciate how our genes can go wrong. The human genetic code can be thought of as an encyclopedia in multiple volumes. Our normal genome contains 46 chromosomes, so that’s 46 volumes. Each chromosome is a long string of the chemical DNA and the information is “written” in the form of a molecular alphabet with just four letters: A, T, C and G.

There are three ways in which something can go wrong here. First, a whole chromosome can be either missing or duplicated. This drastic change is almost always fatal. (The exceptions include Downs Syndrome.)

Second, single-nucleotide polymorphisms (SNPs, or “snips” as everyone calls them) are when a single base-pair is different, corresponding to a misprinted character.

Finally, copy-number variants (CNVs) are when a stretch of DNA is either missing (deleted), or repeated (duplicated), a bit like a page that’s either fallen out or been printed twice. As you can imagine, CNVs tend to be more serious than SNPs, because they affect more of the DNA. This is only a general rule, however. There are plenty of serious SNPs, and plenty of harmless CNVs. It all depends on where they happen, and whether they interfere with important genes.

For a long time, it was widely assumed that SNPs were responsible for psychiatric disorders, in what’s called the “common-variant model” of disease. Yet this just didn’t work out.

Psychiatric interest in CNVs was sparked by a landmark paper http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v4 ... 07229.html that appeared in Nature in September 2008. It was authored by an international consortium of schizophrenia researchers, led by employees at an Icelandic company, deCODE Genetics. They found a number of CNVs which seemed to be associated with schizophrenia.

Since then, CNV studies have taken off in the same way as GWAS did 5 years before. There’s now good evidence for the involvement of deletions and duplications in autism, attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), schizophrenia, and intellectual disability (aka mental retardation). By contrast, however, studies in bipolar disorder have been negative.

It’s only early days yet, but as this research advances further, and as technology allows ever-smaller CNVs to be picked up, these kinds of genetic findings may present a serious challenge http://www.scientificamerican.com/artic ... c-genetics for existing psychiatric diagnostic systems.

I love reading the history of discoveries. This editorial is by the guy who won the Nobel Prize in 1965 for the research described below.
http://www.sciencemag.org/content/332/6031/767.full
The Birth of the Operon
François Jacob
Science 13 May 2011:
Vol. 332 no. 6031 p. 767
DOI: 10.1126/science.1207943

What is the operon, whose 50th anniversary is being celebrated this week? The word heralded the discovery of how genes are turned on and off, and it launched the now-immense field of gene regulation. The idea was born in André Lwoff's laboratory at the Institut Pasteur. At one end of a long corridor in the loft of a building devoted to research on bacteria were Lwoff, Elie Wollman, and myself. At the other end were Jacques Monod and his group. Lwoff studied lysogenic Eschericia coli bacteria capable of producing bacteriophage without infection. Monod was analyzing the properties of the β-galactosidase enzyme in the same bacterium: an enzyme required for the metabolism of lactose that was produced only when the culture medium contained galactosides. To all and sundry the two systems appeared mechanistically miles apart. But their juxtaposition would produce a critical breakthrough for our understanding of life, demonstrating that we cannot presume to know how new ideas will arise and where scientific research will lead.

Our breakthrough was the result of “night science”: a stumbling, wandering exploration of the natural world that relies on intuition as much as it does on the cold, orderly logic of “day science.”** In today's vastly expanded scientific enterprise, obsessed with impact factors and competition, we will need much more night science to unveil the many mysteries that remain about the workings of organisms.

http://www.scientificamerican.com/artic ... attraction
Protozoa Could Be Controlling Your Brain
Some protozoa infect the brain of their host, shaping its behavior in ways most suited to the pathogen, even if it leads to the suicide of the host
By Christof Koch | May 17, 2011

The ancient debate surrounding the existence of free will appears unresolvable, a metaphysical question that generates much heat yet little light. Common sense and volumes of psychological and neuroscientific research reveal, however, that we are less free than we think we are. Our genes, our upbringing and our environment influence our behaviors in ways that often escape conscious control. Understanding this influence, the advertisement industry spent approximately half a trillion dollars worldwide in 2010 to shape the buying decisions of consumers. Yet nothing approaches the perfidy of the one-celled organism Toxoplasma gondii, one of the most widespread of all parasitic protozoa. It takes over the brain of its host and makes it do things, even actions that will cause it to die, in the service of this nasty hitchhiker. It sounds like a cheesy Hollywood horror flick, except that it is for real.

What elevates this vignette about evolution and life in the wild to epic proportions for humanity is that about a tenth of the U.S. population is infected by T. gondii (in some countries, such as France, the infection rate is seven to eight times higher, possibly because of the widespread consumption of uncooked and undercooked meat).

18 May 2011 21:44 #227 by archer
Replied by archer on topic Science Odds and Ends

Science Chic wrote: http://www.scientificamerican.com/artic ... attraction
Some protozoa infect the brain of their host, shaping its behavior in ways most suited to the pathogen, even if it leads to the suicide of the host

The ancient debate surrounding the existence of free will appears unresolvable, a metaphysical question that generates much heat yet little light. Common sense and volumes of psychological and neuroscientific research reveal, however, that we are less free than we think we are. Our genes, our upbringing and our environment influence our behaviors in ways that often escape conscious control. Understanding this influence, the advertisement industry spent approximately half a trillion dollars worldwide in 2010 to shape the buying decisions of consumers. Yet nothing approaches the perfidy of the one-celled organism Toxoplasma gondii, one of the most widespread of all parasitic protozoa. It takes over the brain of its host and makes it do things, even actions that will cause it to die, in the service of this nasty hitchhiker. It sounds like a cheesy Hollywood horror flick, except that it is for real.

What elevates this vignette about evolution and life in the wild to epic proportions for humanity is that about a tenth of the U.S. population is infected by T. gondii (in some countries, such as France, the infection rate is seven to eight times higher, possibly because of the widespread consumption of uncooked and undercooked meat).

There goes tonight's good night sleep.

18 May 2011 21:57 #228 by Rockdoc
Replied by Rockdoc on topic Science Odds and Ends

archer wrote:

Science Chic wrote: http://www.scientificamerican.com/artic ... attraction

There goes tonight's good night sleep.

Fascinating. I'm on board with the environmental influences on our behavior i.e. my dislike for snakes. Thank you mother.
I suppose our parasitic mental guests advanced invasion of French hosts, may help explain some of their "unusual" thought patterns and behavior. LOL

Just go to sleep Archer and give your brain a rest. It's more capable of fending off invasions.

18 May 2011 22:16 #229 by ScienceChic
I just couldn't stop wondering which 10% of people that I know are the ones being controlled by parasites! :Whistle
rofllol

If I'm one of 'em, should I recognize fellow infectees? Do we have a secret code or smell?

And When do I get to take over the world?! :biggrin:

18 May 2011 22:22 #230 by Rockdoc
Replied by Rockdoc on topic Science Odds and Ends

Science Chic wrote: And When do I get to take over the world?! :biggrin:

When you finish off one brain at a time throughout the world?
I'm wondering what role these guys play if any in alzheimer?

Time to create page: 0.353 seconds