Surge protection?

23 Jul 2014 18:44 - 23 Jul 2014 19:01 #1 by Blazer Bob
Surge protection? was created by Blazer Bob
Any suggestions for a good one?

Lightning took out our second one in about as many months.

(Brought to you by Sprint hot spot)>

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

23 Jul 2014 20:15 #2 by otisptoadwater
Replied by otisptoadwater on topic Surge protection?
APC makes some good surge protection equipment and they offer a lifetime guarantee, not sure what it actually covers but it would be nice to not have to shell out more money for an other surge protector after one fails. I have a couple off these at home and they have only been tripped a couple of times, both due to power surges after a power outage http://www.apc.com/products/resource/include/techspec_index.cfm?base_sku=P11GTV

There are also a bunch of vendors that offer whole house surge protection but that's not cheap. Leviton offers a whole house surge protection line of products, they install hardware at the electric meter, on the side of the breaker box, and at each wall outlet for the devices you want to protect.

Another way to address the issue might be to have a look around your property and see if there isn't a high spot where you could have a lighting rod installed with the hope that the lightning rod would take the hits instead of your house and the wires going into it.

I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." - Henry Ford

Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges; When the Republic is at its most corrupt the laws are most numerous. - Publius Cornelius Tacitus
The following user(s) said Thank You: Blazer Bob

23 Jul 2014 21:51 #3 by Blazer Bob
Replied by Blazer Bob on topic Surge protection?
Sorry, I meant this is the second router that blew. The lightning did not hit our house either time. They were just close enough to fry the routers. I will look into APC.

Thanks.

24 Jul 2014 05:14 #4 by LOL
Replied by LOL on topic Surge protection?
ditto on APC, they have good stuff! A backup UPS would be best.

I unplug and wall switch off all my electronics, TV satellite Routers etc. Phone lines are particularly bad in Bailey, lost several answering machines.

Is your Router connected to phone or cable?

If you want to be, press one. If you want not to be, press 2

Republicans are red, democrats are blue, neither of them, gives a flip about you.

24 Jul 2014 06:28 #5 by otisptoadwater
Replied by otisptoadwater on topic Surge protection?
Bob, if you're looking for easy to configure routers then you might like Cisco/Linksys products. Easy to configure but not always providing users with the best options to secure the wireless and other security options. Friends and relatives visiting the "hotel in the hills" often complain that they can't make a wireless connection too far beyond the walls of my home (that's on purpose, I decrease the wireless signal strength on purpose). I demand to know who is connecting to my network and I ban unauthorized users, Cisco/Linksys hardware/software platforms allow for these restrictions in most cases.

Either way, best of luck with your next router and surviving the summer lightning season!

I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." - Henry Ford

Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges; When the Republic is at its most corrupt the laws are most numerous. - Publius Cornelius Tacitus

24 Jul 2014 08:45 - 24 Jul 2014 08:47 #6 by Blazer Bob
Replied by Blazer Bob on topic Surge protection?
LOL, phone line. We already have a backup UPS. We use fedex. Also USPS in a pinch.

Otis, I admire your security protocols but I do not think anyone is close enough to piggyback even if we left it unsecure. I do not configure routers. We call ISO tech and have Tim set it up.

I do configure the shape of my pillow before I hit the rack.

Thanks.

24 Jul 2014 10:35 #7 by mountaindollar
Replied by mountaindollar on topic Surge protection?
We bought ours at Costco several years ago they are similar to the one in this link.

All of our computers, TV, routers and such are plugged into them (we have 3).

Before having these we had the standard ones without battery backups and lost two routers and two dish boxes. Dish replaced the boxes but we had to buy new routers.

www.costco.com/CyberPower-CP625HG-Batter...gId=-1&storeId=10301

24 Jul 2014 17:29 - 24 Jul 2014 17:35 #8 by LOL
Replied by LOL on topic Surge protection?

BlazerBob wrote: LOL, phone line. We already have a backup UPS. We use fedex. Also USPS in a pinch.

I bet your phone line is the problem. Those are harder to protect with surge devices because of the high data speeds. (High energy surge devices have too much capacitance for data lines). Phone line protectors are available but I don't know how good they work for lightning. Good luck.

If you want to be, press one. If you want not to be, press 2

Republicans are red, democrats are blue, neither of them, gives a flip about you.

Time to create page: 0.512 seconds