Kiss Internet Explorer Goodbye

17 Mar 2015 15:38 #1 by pineinthegrass

The end is finally in sight for Microsoft’s long-fraught Internet Explorer. At the Microsoft Convergence conference Monday in Atlanta, Chris Capossela, Microsoft’s head of marketing, said the new flagship browser for Windows, which was announced in January and is codenamed Project Spartan, will not be associated with the Internet Explorer brand.

While Internet Explorer will still exist on Windows 10 for compatibility purposes, it will take a back seat to the new browser.

Microsoft has been working for years to salvage the Internet Explorer brand, which languished in the public eye thanks to releases like Internet Explorer 6, widely regarded as one of the worst tech products of all time. Releases over the last few years have fixed the product, but Microsoft has been unable to fix the browser’s reputation, despite a solid ad campaign.

www.msn.com/en-us/money/technologyinvest...-AA9ThZo?ocid=AARDHP
The following user(s) said Thank You: LOL

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

17 Mar 2015 18:55 #2 by LOL
Replied by LOL on topic Kiss Internet Explorer Goodbye
I saw that too! Good riddens, can't believe anyone still uses that POS.

A good example why monopolies are no good.

Trouble is I don't care much for Chrome, and Firefox is getting more cluttered too. Whatever.

If you want to be, press one. If you want not to be, press 2

Republicans are red, democrats are blue, neither of them, gives a flip about you.

17 Mar 2015 20:10 - 19 Mar 2015 20:15 #3 by ScienceChic
:firefoxrule :firefoxsmac :iexploder: :slingshotie

Sorry, not subtle enough? :coolwink:

Just a few years ago, IE was still the #1 browser used by people accessing this site. It's finally switched over in the past year to Chrome and Firefox (#1 and 2, respectively). Firefox bogs down if you leave it open for too long (chews up RAM), but either are faster than IE and have better security from what I can tell.

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill
Attachments:

17 Mar 2015 20:35 - 17 Mar 2015 20:38 #4 by LOL
I just want a simple NOJava, NOActiveX, NOJavscript, NOFlash, NO animated gif, DISABLE ButtonS easy to turn on/off with a quick click. Browsers are horribly bloated and inefficient. They all mostly suck.

Republicans are red, democrats are blue, neither of them, gives a flip about you.

17 Mar 2015 21:24 #5 by ScienceChic
Tell us how you really feel LOL. Come on, quit holding back. :biggrin:

:smileygrnbe :trefle:

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

19 Mar 2015 18:20 #6 by LOL

ScienceChic wrote: .... Firefox bogs down if you leave it open for too long (chews up RAM), but either are faster than IE and have better security from what I can tell.

Interesting, Hmmm haven't noticed that slowdown with Firefox. But I run it with pretty much custom settings, no disk cache, no script, delete cookies every time, and usually all ADD-ons disabled, except when I want to view a funny youtube video.

I still say Firefox is the best, until someone convinces me otherwise.

23 Mar 2015 18:42 #7 by otisptoadwater

I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." - Henry Ford

Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges; When the Republic is at its most corrupt the laws are most numerous. - Publius Cornelius Tacitus
The following user(s) said Thank You: ScienceChic, ComputerBreath

23 Mar 2015 21:55 #8 by ScienceChic
ROFLMAO! Thanks otis, that literally made me burst out laughing - I'll buy you a beer for that one!

13 Apr 2016 17:43 #9 by YourComputerCompanion
Hello,

You could always switch to Iron (google chrome clone) or Try TOR. If you do a search on either or both you will find free downloads. I would use their sites directly only for safety.

Here are the links that I have:

TOR -  www.torproject.org/

Iron - www.srware.net/en/software_srware_iron.php

There are many more then where that came from for sure. I like them both. TOR has their own secure network that will allow you to not be tracked which is an added bonus.

Bob Glassman
Your Computer Companion
Computer Consulting & Support Services
We are there when you need us!
Address: 13700 US Highway 285 #108 Pine, CO 80470
Phone: 303-330-0252 Office
Phone: 303-941-7142 Mobile

13 Apr 2016 18:29 #10 by HappyCamper
This sucks not that I am a fan but much of the software I deal with is only IE and you know they will make you buy a new version vs making it work with something else.

Time to create page: 0.187 seconds