Our new favorite breakfast:

Crepes
2 large eggs
3/4 cup milk
1/2 cup water
1 cup flour
3 Tbs melted butter
Butter, for coating the pan

1. In a blender, combine all of the ingredients and pulse for 10 seconds. Place the crepe batter in the refrigerator for 1 hour. This allows the bubbles to subside so the crepes will be less likely to tear during cooking. The batter will keep for up to 48 hours.

2. Heat a small non-stick pan. Add butter to coat. Pour 1 ounce of batter into the center of the pan and swirl to spread evenly. Cook for 30 seconds and flip. Cook for another 10 seconds and remove to the cutting board. Lay them out flat so they can cool. Continue until all batter is gone. After they have cooled you can stack them and store in sealable plastic bags in the refrigerator for several days or in the freezer for up to two months. When using frozen crepes, thaw on a rack before gently peeling apart.

3. Savory Variation Add 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 cup chopped fresh herbs, spinach or sun-dried tomatoes to the egg mixture.

4. Sweet Variation Add 21/2 tablespoons sugar, 1 teaspoon vanilla extract and 2 tablespoons of your favorite liqueur to the egg mixture.

We slice up fresh strawberries, or use whole raspberries, but you can use whatever fruit is your favorite, or make it non-sweet and throw in other breakfast foods (bacon, potatoes, eggs, mushrooms, steak, etc). If making sweet crepes, skip the store-bought Cool Whip and make your own cream filling with Heavy Whipping Cream and powdered sugar blended to taste. Melt semi-sweet chocolate chips to drizzle chocolate over the top. Pig out! tongue:

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

02 Jan 2012 13:42 #82 by ScienceChic
Replied by ScienceChic on topic Any interest? Recipes
This looks like fun! I might try this for my annual Superbowl Party!

http://www.kiboomu.com/2011/07/25/birth ... ke-recipe/
Bake Cupcakes in Ice Cream Cones

We are so in love with this Ice Cream Cone Cupcake recipe for kids. It’s such a fun snack idea for a Birthday Party! So, what are you waiting for? Let’s get cooking with the kids!

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

30 Jan 2012 12:34 #83 by ScienceChic
http://motherjones.com/tom-philpott/201 ... -your-cold
Tom's Kitchen: A Spicy-Hot Soup to Crush Your Cold
—By Tom Philpott
| Fri Jan. 27, 2012

Photo Courtesy of Tom Philpott

When I come down with a cold, I avoid treating it with pharmaceuticals that mask symptoms. Instead, I try to ramp up my immune system to fight the cold back the hippie way: with herbs and vitamin C and the like.

But there's no doubt that cold symptoms—sore throat, stuffed nose, irritated sinuses, lethargy—really, really suck. For more years than I care to calculate, I've been fighting these vexations with a fiery soup, loosely based on a Mexican specialty called sopa de tortilla.

See article for recipe and optional ingredients - it looks dee-lish!

20 Aug 2012 15:05 #84 by ScienceChic
I am going to have to try these from the Glass Is Life Facebook Page

The Perfect Summer Drink ~ Glass + Water + Fresh Fruit. Try it out!

From https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... nt_count=1

06 Jun 2016 14:09 - 02 Nov 2017 21:32 #85 by ScienceChic
Next time we buy brussels sprouts, I'm making #9! :)

11 Lettuce-Free Salads That Are Perfect For Summer
Will Schuerman · June 1, 2016
9. Shaved Brussels Sprout Salad With Apples And Walnuts

Recipe

Now that I’ve told you to use a mandoline to shave Brussels sprouts, you have to promise me something. Swear to me you will never ever even think about trying to cut a sprout on a mandoline without wearing a no-cut glove on your hand. Swear it to me. Right now. On the grave of all the Brussels sprouts that have come before.

I don’t care how careful you are, if you try to use a mandoline to slice Brussels sprouts without proper hand protection, you will (WILL!) cut yourself. And no, those little hand guard things that come with your mandoline don’t count (I swear I cut myself MORE when I use those things). Trust me, the $12 you spent on the no-cut gloves are well worth it to avoid the pain and suffering of getting your fingers sliced off on your mandoline. This salad is good, but it’s not good enough for you to lose any flesh. Just don’t, k? I care about you too much.

LOL! Hubby's done this on regular sized cabbage heads, no way would I go there with teeny tiny brussel sprouts! B)

The Strawberry Cucumber Salad looks too pretty to eat!

Attachments:

29 Sep 2016 23:41 #86 by MadJacksMountainBrewery
i would be interested when life slows down this winter.

"We're MAD About Beer!"
www.madjacksmountainbrewery.com/

23 Main Street, Bailey CO 80421
303-816-BEER (2337)
Open:
Monday-Thursday 11:00-8:00
Friday & Saturday 11:00-10:00
Sunday 11:00-7:00

Like Us on Facebook!

10 Oct 2016 10:39 #87 by Hot Chile
Replied by Hot Chile on topic Any interest? Recipes
Thought I would give y'all a good recipe for Barbacoa. You know, the shredded beef at Chipotle. Makes great winter fare. Sandwiches, street tacos, taquitos, just about anything.

This is a "Chipotle" style barbacoa (pulled beef). I got this recipe of the web. It seemed to have some controversy about how it started/who started it, but I wish I knew because whoever originally thought it up deserves some sort of culinary award.

PS: You can skip the juniper berry if you don't have one. Doesn't make a huge difference.

Ingredients

1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
3 tbsp lime juice
4 chipotle peppers – canned in adobo sauce
1/2 a sweet onion
5 cloves garlic
4 tsp cumin
2 tsp oregano – dried Mexican variety is best
1 ½ tsp ground black pepper
1 ½ tsp salt
1/8 tsp ground clove

4 tbsp vegetable oil
4 lb beef roast

1 cup chicken broth
3 bay leaves
1 juniper berry

Directions

1. Combine the lime juice, vinegar, onions, chipotle peppers, garlic, cumin, oregano, black pepper, salt and clove in a blender and blend until smooth and creamy.

2. Pre heat a crock pot (set to high setting). Put 1/4 cup of chicken stock in the pot.

3. Cut the roast into smaller pieces and remove any excess fat.

4. In a large dutch oven or stock pot, heat 4 tbsp of oil and cook each side of the meat until all pieces are lightly browned.

5. As the meat is browned, put into the crock pot.

6. Pour the blended sauce over the meat and add in the chicken broth, bay leaves and juniper berry.

7. Cover and simmer for about 6+ hours, turning every hour until the meat can easily be pulled apart.

Serving

I like to serve with king's hawaiin rolls (sweet), honey wheat toast, or just the usual tortillas. Accompany with Roasted Corn Green Chile Salsa, and fresh avocados and tomatos if desired.

10 Oct 2016 12:55 #88 by HappyCamper
Replied by HappyCamper on topic Any interest? Recipes
That sounds yummy and with the weather getting colder may have to try it for a Bronco party.

12 Oct 2016 09:50 #89 by Hot Chile
Replied by Hot Chile on topic Any interest? Recipes
That's what I normally make it for. It's about 15 minutes of prep then the crock pot does the rest ... so easy.

HappyCamper wrote: That sounds yummy and with the weather getting colder may have to try it for a Bronco party.

02 Nov 2017 21:30 #90 by ScienceChic
So tonight hubby made a new brussels sprout recipe that was to die for! Lil Science Dude (I should probably find a better name for him since I only come up to his nose :biggrin: now) and I went to town mowing them down. Dee-lish!

This is the recipe, though he modified it some. We didn't have any garlic (it had gone bad) so he substituted dried roasted garlic from Penzey's and he forgot the 2nd Tbsp of parmesan, then he accidentally put the pesto on them before baking instead of tossing halfway through. They still turned out crispy though.

Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Mint Pesto
Recipe courtesy of Food Network Kitchen
Yields 4 servings

Directions
Puree 1 cup fresh mint with 1/2 cup olive oil, 2 tablespoons each grated parmesan and toasted hazelnuts, 1 garlic clove and 1/2 teaspoon each kosher salt and pepper. Toss 1 1/2 pounds halved trimmed Brussels sprouts with olive oil on a baking sheet; season with salt and pepper. Toast at 425 degrees F, tossing halfway through, until golden and tender, 25 minutes; toss with the mint pesto.

Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.229 seconds