Canning Tomatoes

11 Jul 2010 20:37 #1 by BaconLover
Canning Tomatoes was created by BaconLover
Anybody out there can their own tomatoes?

I'm looking to wean the family off store-bought tomato sauce, stewed and diced tomatoes, and (possibly) Spaghetti sauce, while trying not to kill them with botchulisim.

If you have any good recipes/ideas let me know.

Also does anyone know of any good pick your own farms for fruits and veggies? I'm looking for strawberries, pickles, beets, cabbage, and tomatoes in quantities enough for canning.

Thanks!!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

11 Jul 2010 22:46 #2 by Local_Historian
Replied by Local_Historian on topic Canning Tomatoes
I haven't in 4 years, but I do can.

There is this prepackaged pizza sauce mix that is really good - it's usually next to the canning supplies. I have to hit the store tomorrow; I'll see if I can get you a brand name.

Pick your owns - I know of plenty in Iowa - but that's not particularly helpful, is it?

12 Jul 2010 09:30 #3 by BaconLover
Replied by BaconLover on topic Canning Tomatoes

Local_Historian wrote: I haven't in 4 years, but I do can.

There is this prepackaged pizza sauce mix that is really good - it's usually next to the canning supplies. I have to hit the store tomorrow; I'll see if I can get you a brand name.

Pick your owns - I know of plenty in Iowa - but that's not particularly helpful, is it?

You from Iowa? I'm actually a Dubuque boy. I certainly miss the quality and availability of Iowa produce here.

12 Jul 2010 11:44 #4 by Local_Historian
I did a short term run in Iowa - we went for graduate school, fond that 5 years later they wanted us to take a $24K pay cut to move back to Colorado, so we ended up staying until oldest graduated from HS and started college. So 95 to 07, all told.

Ames, Davenport, Des Moines - and I do miss being able to hit a roadside stand and pick up bushels of peaches and cream corn, and tomatoes, going up to Nevada to pick strawberries. One of my goals this summer is to find this type of thing, even if I have to drive south or onto the plains to do so.

12 Jul 2010 13:03 #5 by BaconLover

Local_Historian wrote: I did a short term run in Iowa - we went for graduate school, fond that 5 years later they wanted us to take a $24K pay cut to move back to Colorado, so we ended up staying until oldest graduated from HS and started college. So 95 to 07, all told.

Ames, Davenport, Des Moines - and I do miss being able to hit a roadside stand and pick up bushels of peaches and cream corn, and tomatoes, going up to Nevada to pick strawberries. One of my goals this summer is to find this type of thing, even if I have to drive south or onto the plains to do so.

I did a couple of years in Ames and ended up switching sides and graduating from Iowa. But don't you miss the humidity? ;-)

check out this site: http://www.pickyourown.com Looks like they have links to some potentially decent produce.

12 Jul 2010 22:20 #6 by Local_Historian
Miss the humidity. Why sure! And I miss hitting myself in the head with a hammer too.

14 Jul 2010 20:37 #7 by ScienceChic
Replied by ScienceChic on topic Canning Tomatoes

ExtremeModerate wrote: Anybody out there can their own tomatoes?

I'm looking to wean the family off store-bought tomato sauce, stewed and diced tomatoes, and (possibly) Spaghetti sauce, while trying not to kill them with botchulisim.

Also does anyone know of any good pick your own farms for fruits and veggies? I'm looking for strawberries, pickles, beets, cabbage, and tomatoes in quantities enough for canning.

Thanks!!

Let you know... so I can do all the work canning them. Ha! See how you are!

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

14 Jul 2010 22:03 #8 by Local_Historian
I heard something the other day I'd never thought to do- take the tomatoes, destem, wash and pop them in zippie freezer bags. When you take them out, the skins slip right off just like if you blanched them, and they're the same consistency as canned. Though I bet they have a shorter "shelf life".

I'm gonna give it a try, just to test it out.

15 Jul 2010 07:00 #9 by pacamom
Replied by pacamom on topic Canning Tomatoes
What do you do to them after you put them in the bags? Freeze or boil?

15 Jul 2010 09:24 #10 by BaconLover

Science Chic wrote:

ExtremeModerate wrote: Anybody out there can their own tomatoes?

Thanks!!

Let you know... so I can do all the work canning them. Ha! See how you are!

Hey, I'll help. You could burn water!

Time to create page: 0.163 seconds