Are you as Physically Fit as you would like to be?

19 Sep 2010 03:06 #11 by Rockdoc
No scale here to see if I've made any progress and clothes fit are not suggesting any major progress. I do feel stronger and have better aerobic capacity after 4 weeks of bike riding. My long ride is now 75 km on my day off. I plan to increase my morning rides from 32 km to 45km twice each week with the thought long rides will burn calories. I'm not training for a goal other than loose weight. Muscle tone has improved, but my retirement belt remains nearly in tact. I suppose strengthening core muscle groups might help deflate my retirement belt. Is there anythy one escercise that is better than another?

BTW. Nutrition is something I mentioned previously. I do have a solid morning routine. Up and out to ride the bike at 2:30AM, breakfast (mushroom ohmlet, large glass of fresh OJ, and two cinamon rolls without gooey frosting) at 5AM, ride bike to work (~1 mi), have 1 cup coffee (whole milk and sugar) with another cinamon roll around 7AM. Lunch (11AM) is a mixed bag. Generally one or two apples, two or three small cucumbers with sometimes dinner leftovers (spaghetti or chicken stir fry), or a can of tuna in vegtable oil, or a can of sardines. Dinner at 4PM includes a glass of fresh squeezed OJ and one of the following grilled Fish (grouper) w/ ff, spaghetti, white turkey w/ mashed potatores, chicken stir fry with fried rice. It's to bed between 7 and 8PM.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

20 Sep 2010 22:59 #12 by Get Fit_Feel Great

Rockdoc Franz wrote: No scale here to see if I've made any progress and clothes fit are not suggesting any major progress. I do feel stronger and have better aerobic capacity after 4 weeks of bike riding. My long ride is now 75 km on my day off. I plan to increase my morning rides from 32 km to 45km twice each week with the thought long rides will burn calories. I'm not training for a goal other than loose weight. Muscle tone has improved, but my retirement belt remains nearly in tact. I suppose strengthening core muscle groups might help deflate my retirement belt. Is there anythy one escercise that is better than another?

BTW. Nutrition is something I mentioned previously. I do have a solid morning routine. Up and out to ride the bike at 2:30AM, breakfast (mushroom ohmlet, large glass of fresh OJ, and two cinamon rolls without gooey frosting) at 5AM, ride bike to work (~1 mi), have 1 cup coffee (whole milk and sugar) with another cinamon roll around 7AM. Lunch (11AM) is a mixed bag. Generally one or two apples, two or three small cucumbers with sometimes dinner leftovers (spaghetti or chicken stir fry), or a can of tuna in vegtable oil, or a can of sardines. Dinner at 4PM includes a glass of fresh squeezed OJ and one of the following grilled Fish (grouper) w/ ff, spaghetti, white turkey w/ mashed potatores, chicken stir fry with fried rice. It's to bed between 7 and 8PM.

Hello Rockdoc,
Had the pleasure of viewing your website. It's good to see people with such varied interests.
I can see by your "behavior" that it is obviously something you would like to modify in order to obtain your "weight loss". The picture I am getting here is that the weight you would want to lose is body fat.
Besides having a better nutrition plan, building muscle is the best way. No you do not have to grow bodybuilder biceps or pecs. For every pound of muscle you create, whether it means making your muscles more dense or larger, you will burn up to 50 calories per day whether you move or not.
Of course, to build the muscle, you must move to some degree.
Spot reducing is virtually impossible, other than liposuction. I have seen a laser treatment available. But of course, they want you to walk 30 minutes/day, take several supplements and eat right. What a concept.
Crunches are still the best to help reduce the waistline. They reduce the waistline by strengthening the abdominal muscles and therefore keep them tighter into your body, not by actually reducing body fat around the mid section.

The next step is to "fuel" your body to be able to create muscle. This is where the nutrition comes into play big time.
1st, is your omelot filled with cheese? Those rolls really are not helping (too much sugar, like what is going in your coffee).
Do you see where this is going?
2-4 Eggs and oatmeal, not instant oatmeal would be a good example of breakfast with some OJ.
Protein is required at EVERY Meal. 6-8 times a day, equally spread out and about equal amounts of protein. Amounts of protein, carbohydrates, and fats (mono/unsaturated ) would vary according to your weight, activity levels and goals. In any case most days you would always eat more protein than carbohydrates and fats to lose body fat and at least keep your muscle/lean mass.
For more details on what YOU would want to do nutritionally and in modifying how you ride your bike and what exercises that would benefit you, please give me a call.

To your health and fitness,
Sam Moy, ISSA CPT :thumbsup:

21 Sep 2010 10:59 #13 by Rockdoc
Sam, thanks for the reply. Holly and I are both coming to see you. I see where one major issue is right away.. carbs instead of protein. No I I do not like melted cheese. So even the cinnamon rolls are at risk. :) What is a Bavarian to do without desert? lol Nope, I'll start crunches. I knew this but... not my favorite... because they don't come easy is the truthful answer, hence why I need to start doing them. Now is as good a time as any since my bike riding is interrupted because of a relocation. Look forward to seeing you in later November when I get back. BTW I take GNC Mega Men 50+. I can tell when I do not take them.

Thank you.

21 Sep 2010 23:24 #14 by Get Fit_Feel Great
Thank you Rockdoc,
Look forward to meeting the both of you.

07 Oct 2010 22:40 #15 by Get Fit_Feel Great
[center:21sd9lin]Now that WINTER is right around the corner, what tips do you have for others to keep physically fit?[/center:21sd9lin]
[center:21sd9lin]:Happywave: :Happywave: :Happywave: :Happywave: [/center:21sd9lin]

Time to create page: 0.145 seconds