How Western Diets Are Making The World Sick

24 Mar 2011 22:39 #1 by ScienceChic
It's no fun to picture our bodies with the fat described in this article, but it's important to understand the significance of the problem, and to do something about it for yourself - exercise regularly, eating healthy fresh foods in moderation, and limiting processed foods. The description of the amount of people that will end up on dialysis is sobering...

http://www.npr.org/2011/03/24/132745785 ... c=fb&cc=fp
How Western Diets Are Making The World Sick
Kevin Patterson
March 24, 2011

"Typical Afghan civilians and soldiers would have been 140 pounds or so as adults. And when we operated on them, what we were aware of was the absence of any fat or any adipose tissue underneath the skin," Patterson says. "Of course, when we operated on Canadians or Americans or Europeans, what was normal was to have most of the organs encased in fat. It had a visceral potency to it when you could see it directly there."

In a conversation on Fresh Air, Patterson tells Terry Gross that the effects of urbanization are making people everywhere in the world both fatter and sicker.

"Type 2 diabetes historically didn't exist, only 70 or 80 years ago," says Patterson. "And what's driven it, of course, is this rise in obesity, especially the accumulation of abdominal fat. And the diabetes epidemic correlates to a strain on health care systems around the globe, says Patterson.

"No country in the world has the resources to continue to treat diabetics the way that they're being treated now, if the prevalence rates increase at the rates that they're increasing for much longer," he says. "When you look at the curves, it's clear how unsustainable it is. In 20 or 30 years, everybody on [Saipan] will either be a dialysis patient or a dialysis nurse unless something fundamental is done about the rise in diabetes. That's no less true in Canada and in Samoa and Hawaii, and even in Omaha and Toronto.

You can listen to the story (13min), link is at the top of the article. Or read his books, Consumption, Outside the Wire: The War in Afghanistan in the Words of its Participants and the short story collection Country of Cold, which won the Rogers Writers' Trust Fiction Prize in 2003.

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

06 Apr 2011 12:58 #2 by rocky mtn thyroid center
Hey Sci Chi-

Good that you posted this. More people need to be aware of the exact garbage that they put into their mouths, has an exact effect on your body's physiology. There is such a disconnect between these things among most Americans. An example of this is gluten. There are very few people(approx 20 %) whose body does not improve with a gluten free diet.
OH, Waaaaaah! There is nothing to eat if you take my precious gluten away from me!!!!

Give me a break. There are tons of things that are healthy to eat. Do the testing and investigate it for yourself. That is being responsible for your own health.

The interesting thing is the emotional connection to food that people have. Gluten in foods being one of them.

Why?

Well, several reasons, not the least of which is one of the byproducts of gluten digestion is gluteomorphin, an opioid like chemical that attaches to receptors in the brain causing a true addiction to gluten.

same goes for another weird food in America...... pasteurized milk.

I think I'll write an article on this. Thanks again for the post.

Dr. T

06 Apr 2011 15:46 #3 by CinnamonGirl
Replied by CinnamonGirl on topic How Western Diets Are Making The World Sick
I love milk. I would really like to hear your stuff.

07 Apr 2011 22:09 #4 by ScienceChic

rocky mtn thyroid center wrote: Hey Sci Chi-

Good that you posted this. More people need to be aware of the exact garbage that they put into their mouths, has an exact effect on your body's physiology. There is such a disconnect between these things among most Americans. An example of this is gluten. There are very few people(approx 20 %) whose body does not improve with a gluten free diet.
OH, Waaaaaah! There is nothing to eat if you take my precious gluten away from me!!!!

Give me a break. There are tons of things that are healthy to eat. Do the testing and investigate it for yourself. That is being responsible for your own health.

The interesting thing is the emotional connection to food that people have. Gluten in foods being one of them.

Why?

Well, several reasons, not the least of which is one of the byproducts of gluten digestion is gluteomorphin, an opioid like chemical that attaches to receptors in the brain causing a true addiction to gluten.

same goes for another weird food in America...... pasteurized milk.

I think I'll write an article on this. Thanks again for the post.

Dr. T

Sci Chi - I like it! :thumbsup:

I vaguely remember reading somewhere about refined sugars and grains as being somewhat addicting, almost a hormonal-like effect, in our bodies. Is this similar to the gluteomorphin, or am I just remembering wrong?

I saw this article the other day and thought it appropriate to paste here:
http://www.grist.org/industrial-agricul ... ats-sugars
The American diet in one chart, with lots of fats and sugars
by Tom Philpott
5 Apr 2011

Over on Civil Eats, Andrea Jezovit has put together a terrific interactive chart http://civileats.com/2011/04/05/where-d ... fographic/ on the U.S. diet. Using USDA data for "average daily calories available per capita, adjusted for spoilage and waste," it tracks our eating habits since 1970, separating our foodstuffs into basic categories: grains, dairy, vegetables, fruits, proteins ("meat, eggs, and nuts"), added sugars, and added fats.

For me, the most interesting categories are the latter two.

File Attachment:

Jump forward to 2008 (the last year for which there are figures), and you find that the food system cranked out 2,673 calories per person. That's an impressive 23 percent jump from the 1970 number -- even more impressive when you recall that it's a per capita number and U.S. population rose significantly over that period. This is powerful evidence that the cheap-food policy instituted by Nixon-era USDA chief Earl Butz succeeded dramatically. In an age of maximum production of corn and soy, the U.S. food system became a calorie-generating juggernaut.

As for added fats and sugars, their 2008 levels reached 459 and 641, respectively, for a total of 1,100 calories. That's a 35 percent jump over the 1970 level -- and represents 41 percent of total calories available to U.S. consumers in 2008.

So, what is all this telling us? Here's a simple conclusion: If the food processing industry simply cut added sugars and fats by half in calorie terms -- from 1,100 calories to 550 -- total caloric availability would return to 1970 levels: an era that preceded the recent surge in diet-related maladies like obesity and Type 2 diabetes.

It's interesting to me that here in the United States, the diet promoted by the sustainable food movement is largely patterned on the old Mediterranean style. People generally have to pay a premium to attain it, and a wealth of science shows it to be quite healthy. (Note that a diet similarly stripped of added fats and sugars seems to help prevent ADHD in children.) The diet championed by the food industry and its marketers is cheaper, but a wealth of evidence suggests it makes people sick and miserable.

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

13 Apr 2011 14:57 #5 by CinnamonGirl
Replied by CinnamonGirl on topic How Western Diets Are Making The World Sick
Here is an interesting new article The New York times.

Is Sugar Toxic?

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/04/17/magaz ... ted=1&_r=4

13 Apr 2011 17:24 #6 by rocky mtn thyroid center
read it, robyn.

Pretty straight. I don't know who Lustig is.... everyone has an agenda, but his seems helpful enough.
Sugar is flippin' ubiquitous and it takes a fair effort to rid yourself of it.
Low sugar diets have always been a friend to a person who desires better health. I have seen it time and time again.

The worst offenders are juices, cereals and pop in my opinion. Really, you are gonna feed your kid juice and Count Chocula in the morning and expect superior academic performance?

Yikes!

Terry

13 Apr 2011 17:29 #7 by rocky mtn thyroid center
Sci Chi-

Anything promoted by the food industry makes me cringe because there is only one motive and it isn't you being healthy.

They will do anything to turn a profit,.... not a bad thing in itself in a capitalistic society, but when my health is at stake,

go away with your garbage!!!

Never has the saying Caveat Emptor had more meaning.

Terry

13 Apr 2011 17:55 #8 by chickaree
Just look at the standard American dinner plate, a big seving of starch, a slightly smaller(maybe) of meat and a small, probably overcooked vegetable. Perhaps a tiny side salad if yor're lucky.

13 Apr 2011 23:39 #9 by major bean
The U.S. is full of self loathers. They think that food is bad for you. That is total nonsense.
Nothing wrong with lettuce.
Nothing wrong with onions.
Nothing wrong with pickles.
Nothing wrong with mustard.
Nothing wrong with meat.
Nothing wrong with bread.
But put them all together and it is junk food. Go figure.

Most of the world is underfed and malnurished. They eat rice and bugs.

Regards,
Major Bean

14 Apr 2011 07:48 #10 by rocky mtn thyroid center
Uhh, MB, you paint with an awfully broad brush.

I could pick a fight with any of the foods you listed. "The devil is in the details" is really appropriate here.

It's the quality of the foods you listed, not the foods themselves. I make a mean cheeseburger because of the attention to detail in the
quality of the foods. Some one might call that junk food. I call it nourishing.

Organic lettuce vs. pesticide sprayed

locally produced gluten free bread vs. white trash with high fructose corn syrup

Locally grown grass fed beef vs. Franken meat(antibiotics, hormones, pesticides etc.)

And on and on.

Your health is always better when you pay attention to the quality of the "food".

Just food for thought!

Time to create page: 0.168 seconds