Our Hawaii Vacation

26 Jul 2011 14:48 #11 by ScienceChic
Replied by ScienceChic on topic Our Hawaii Vacation
So after hubby's meetings ended, we checked out of the Marriott and headed to our new fun hotel the Hilton Hawaiian Village. Since we had a few hours between check-out and check-in, we drove up to Waimea Valley to see the gardens and Waimea Falls. The last time hubby and I were there was before we got married - it's still as beautiful (was more quiet last time though - hmmm...!). Got caught in a quick rain shower that was nice. Waimea Valley used to be a sacred place to Hawaiians, and is still very special to this day. http://www.hawaiiweb.com/oahu/sites_to_ ... _falls.htm
File Attachment:
File Attachment:

Before we went into the gardens, we had some lunch. We had visitors!

File Attachment:

The mom came right up to my daughter, who was holding a french fry, scaring her - Daddy came to the rescue! There are 30 species of birds common in the valley, along with this peahen and her babies. We found Daddy peacock later!
File Attachment:

File Attachment:
File Attachment:

File Attachment:
File Attachment:

File Attachment:
File Attachment:

File Attachment:
File Attachment:

File Attachment:
File Attachment:

File Attachment:
File Attachment:

File Attachment:

Back on the road to the new hotel!
File Attachment:

I wish I could say that I likelike the driving experience here...but, horrible traffic - Hawaii's best kept secret!

Our new hotel, in Waikiki, is hopping with energy! Lots of pools, pools with slides, a big beach, and fireworks set off on the beach the night we got here! We went to dinner with some friends and their kids - my kids have new best friends! More swimming and shopping are on the agenda! More photos to follow later!

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

26 Jul 2011 15:20 #12 by LOL
Replied by LOL on topic Our Hawaii Vacation
Very nice colorful photos SC, I wish I was there. Hawaii is so beautiful I bet. The only thing I wouldn't like is the traffic, is there any place to ride motorcycles? Are there curvy mountain roads? I'd have to at least rent a scooter.

Looks like your vacation is way way better than VLs Florida trip. He won't even post in your thread here. LOL

Be on the lookout for Sharks and Stingrays! Be safe. Cheers. :)

If you want to be, press one. If you want not to be, press 2

Republicans are red, democrats are blue, neither of them, gives a flip about you.

26 Jul 2011 23:28 #13 by ScienceChic
Thanks Joe! Hawaii is so far the only place on earth that hubby and I can agree on the weather! It rarely gets in the 90s or below the mid-60s during the day, it's not TOO humid, but just right! There definitely are good roads for motorcycles - the weather and scenery anywhere here is conducive to it, but there are mountains too (not like ours, the drive doesn't last as long).

I'm sure VL's vacation was perfect for him - to each their own! :) Does he even know about this forum? LOL

Definitely looking for sharks - that would be cool! There were stingrays in the lagoon at the last hotel, along with baby hammerhead sharks - the kids LOVED that!

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

28 Jul 2011 08:34 #14 by ScienceChic
So we've moved over to the Hilton Hawaiian Village in Waikiki. It's a great hotel for families - we've swam in 5 different pools, some with slides, one in our tower (it has a hot tub - a selling point for my kids who get cold easily), and ones with waterfalls feeding them! They have a kids program called Camp Penguin where they do all sorts of fun activities for the day - I recommend staying here if you're ever out this way! If you don't have kids with you, and want something a little more antique-feeling, and romantic, (although pricey) I recommend the Moana Surfrider (where we stayed during our honeymoon 11 years ago - they were getting ready to celebrate their centennial the following year).

Waikiki is a great area to be in too. There's tons of shopping, and reasonably priced meals to be found (the coffee shop across the street, more like a Perkins, has $2.50 kids breakfasts - pancake, sausage, and an egg!). A short history of Waikiki is here , although there is a somber side to the story as well.

File Attachment:

They have penguins!
File Attachment:

The view from our room
File Attachment:

Two of the pools down below.
File Attachment:

More flowers - from around the hotel. Everything is perfectly landscaped!
File Attachment:
File Attachment:

File Attachment:
File Attachment:

Tomorrow - pictures of our trip to Pearl Harbor to see the Missouri!

28 Jul 2011 09:58 #15 by Rockdoc
Replied by Rockdoc on topic Our Hawaii Vacation
We loved Waimea Valley when we were there. Swam up to the waterfall and were enthralled with the flowers. It is a fantastic and picturesque place, one I'd visit again in a heart beat. We started our vacation off in Waikiki so the girls could take advantage of the International market shopping. It's OK, but we preferred the more residential setting of the North shore or even Ko Olina. keep the photos coming.

Time to create page: 0.158 seconds