Individual perceptions

19 Oct 2014 10:13 #1 by ZHawke
Individual perceptions was created by ZHawke
In some other threads, the anomaly of "individual perceptions" is an ongoing discussion. In that vein, I'd like to ask those of you having an interest, "What does the word 'welfare' bring to mind from your own individual perceptions perspective?"

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

19 Oct 2014 10:23 #2 by HEARTLESS
Replied by HEARTLESS on topic Individual perceptions
Reality, it is something I have paid into without my consent throughout my working life and never gotten any except from family.
What it should be, a hand up, not a handout.

The silent majority will be silent no more.

19 Oct 2014 16:06 #3 by Arlen
Replied by Arlen on topic Individual perceptions
Welfare, as used in the Constitution, has to do with the security and safety of the United States.

20 Oct 2014 07:32 #4 by Nobody that matters
That depends on context. If we're talking about the word welfare, it means a person's safety and security. If we're talking about a government program, it means a bloated program that's inefficient, unfair, and ineffective that makes a mockery out of the word 'welfare'.

"Whatever you are, be a good one." ~ Abraham Lincoln

20 Oct 2014 09:03 #5 by Rick
Replied by Rick on topic Individual perceptions
There is good and bad in everything and welfare is no different. I see welfare as a good concept for a country that is smart enouh to properly distribute it among those who have no other options. But when welfare becomes a crutch and a way for a political party to keep voters dependent, then it becomes destructive to the very concept that built this great country in the first place.

And contrary to what Democrats say, scrutinizing our welfare system isn't mean or uncaring if it's not working, it helps to ensure that the people who really need it can get more help instead of draining the pie for those who don't deserve it. Those who don't deserve welfare but get it anyway are not being helped, they an incentivised to stay down.

It was always the women, and above all the young ones, who were the most bigoted adherents of the Party, the swallowers of slogans, the amateur spies and nosers−out of unorthodoxy

George Orwell

20 Oct 2014 10:49 #6 by Rick
BTW Zhawke, since this is your topic, would you care to give us your perception of what welfare means?

It was always the women, and above all the young ones, who were the most bigoted adherents of the Party, the swallowers of slogans, the amateur spies and nosers−out of unorthodoxy

George Orwell

20 Oct 2014 11:01 #7 by ZHawke
Replied by ZHawke on topic Individual perceptions

Rick wrote: BTW Zhawke, since this is your topic, would you care to give us your perception of what welfare means?

Naw, thought I'd let you guys do it for me.

Seriously though, the word "welfare" conjures up a lot of different things for me, most of which have already been addressed here. I was just curious how others perceive the word with their first thoughts. Some think government programs. Others, like Arlen, think constitutional. I think both. I also think welfare can be attributed to government handouts/bailouts to large banks and corporations in the form of tax breaks and tax cuts. Also, when a low wage paying employer counsels their employees on how to apply for, and receive, public assistance instead of they, themselves, paying a viable living wage (and, no, I don't care whether it's flipping burgers or working at Walmart - it simply does not matter to me), they can also be included in the categorization of being "welfare queens" of a sort. But that's just me.

20 Oct 2014 11:14 #8 by homeagain
Replied by homeagain on topic Individual perceptions

ZHawke wrote:

Rick wrote: BTW Zhawke, since this is your topic, would you care to give us your perception of what welfare means?

Seriously though, the word "welfare" conjures up a lot of different things for me, most of which have already been addressed here. I was just curious how others perceive the word with their first thoughts. Some think government programs. Others, like Arlen, think constitutional. I think both. I also think welfare can be attributed to government handouts/bailouts to large banks and corporations in the form of tax breaks and tax cuts. Also, when a low wage paying employer counsels their employees on how to apply for, and receive, public assistance instead of they, themselves, paying a viable living wage (and, no, I don't care whether it's flipping burgers or working at Walmart - it simply does not matter to me), they can also be included in the categorization of being "welfare queens" of a sort. But that's just me.

My first...well being/safety of any entity
My SECOND, a government plan....as a hand up temp asst.

20 Oct 2014 11:45 #9 by Nobody that matters

homeagain wrote:

ZHawke wrote:

My first...well being/safety of any entity
My SECOND, a government plan....as a hand up temp asst.

Same here, as evidenced in my first post - First thought was of the meaning of the word in the English language. Second thought was of government programs that tend to make a mockery of the first thought.

"Whatever you are, be a good one." ~ Abraham Lincoln

20 Oct 2014 14:52 #10 by Rick

ZHawke wrote:

Ah yes, the old corporate welfare argument. It's not welfare, not even close but it sounds good when you are running for office and need a boogy man. A simple tax code would eliminate all that but then Dems would find other ways to attack anything BIG, except for government of course. :)

George Orwell

Time to create page: 0.356 seconds