Professor: Elf on Shelf conditions children to accept surveillance state

15 Dec 2014 19:57 #1 by ScienceChic
I knew there was a reason I never liked Elk On the Shelf...

P.S. This is your invitation to post wholly inappropriate Elk on the Shelf pictures. Bonus points to see how long it takes before it gets moved to the Ring. :P

Professor: Elf on the Shelf conditions children to accept the surveillance state

Further to this, The Elf on the Shelf website offers teacher resources, integrating into both home and school not only the brand but also tacit acceptance of being monitored and always being on one's best behavior — without question. [CCPA]

"You're teaching [children] a bigger lesson, which is that it's OK for other people to spy on you and you're not entitled to privacy," she summarized.

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

15 Dec 2014 20:25 #2 by Rick
Now I feel really stupid. Please explain what elk on a shelf means

It was always the women, and above all the young ones, who were the most bigoted adherents of the Party, the swallowers of slogans, the amateur spies and nosers−out of unorthodoxy

George Orwell

15 Dec 2014 20:51 #3 by ZHawke

Rick wrote: Now I feel really stupid. Please explain what elk on a shelf means

File Attachment:

Oh, wait - could be a moose.

:happysnow:

15 Dec 2014 20:56 - 15 Dec 2014 20:57 #4 by otisptoadwater
Same argument that makes the Western Anglo-Saxon mind vulnerable to various interrogation techniques; Jesus/Yaway/God as you know him is watching you and sees everything you do. P.S. - God as you know him is taking notes and will review your record when the time comes for you to enter the Kingdom of Heaven or be banished to Hell for your heinous crimes. "We know you did wrong, now you have to bare your soul and tell the truth or bad things will happen to you and the people you care about..."

So little Timmy, come sit on Santa's lap and tell me all about what a good boy you have been all year long...

:fireplace: :canewink: :fireplace: :canewink: :fireplace: :canewink:

I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." - Henry Ford

Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges; When the Republic is at its most corrupt the laws are most numerous. - Publius Cornelius Tacitus

15 Dec 2014 21:07 #5 by ScienceChic
Ahhh, you've never experienced the exquisite pain of dealing with Elf on a Shelf I see...

www.elfontheshelf.com/content/christmas-tradition

The Elf on the Shelf®: A Christmas Tradition is a cleverly rhymed children’s book explaining the story of Santa’s scout elves, who are sent to be Santa’s eyes and ears at children’s homes around the world! Adopt your own scout elf and learn the tale of Santa’s finest helpers. The whole family will enjoy this Christmas tradition.

The Elf on the Shelf®: A Christmas Tradition includes a special scout elf sent from the North Pole to help Santa Claus manage his naughty and nice lists. When a family adopts a scout elf and gives it a name, the scout elf receives its Christmas magic and can fly to the North Pole each night to tell Santa Claus about all of the day's adventures. Each morning, the scout elf returns to its family and perches in a different place to watch the fun. Children love to wake up and race around the house looking for their scout elf each morning.

"The whole family will enjoy this Christmas tradition." My ass they will.

Each night you're supposed to move this damn thing so it looks like it left the house to report to Santa how well the kids behaved, then came back and perched in a new spot by the time they wake up. It's sadistic torture for parents to have to remember to move it. We gave up after one miserable year and now merely enjoy the pictures of people making Elf on the Shelf do naughty things. And boy are people creative and hilarious! :2thumbsup:

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill
Attachments:

15 Dec 2014 21:15 #6 by ZHawke
Ya, but you still haven't explained what an "elk on a shelf" is. Yuck, yuck!

15 Dec 2014 21:15 #7 by Rick
LOL I get it, but did you mean to write "Elk"? That's another thing that confused my chemo brain.

It was always the women, and above all the young ones, who were the most bigoted adherents of the Party, the swallowers of slogans, the amateur spies and nosers−out of unorthodoxy

George Orwell

15 Dec 2014 21:17 #8 by otisptoadwater
What a horrible self-inflicted chore! For those of us afflicted with CRS it would all but impossible!

:happysnow: :snomansno: :happysnow: :snomansno: :happysnow: :snomansno:

I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." - Henry Ford

Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges; When the Republic is at its most corrupt the laws are most numerous. - Publius Cornelius Tacitus
The following user(s) said Thank You: ScienceChic

15 Dec 2014 22:32 #9 by Mary Scott

15 Dec 2014 23:27 #10 by ScienceChic
It started only a few years ago, if I'm remembering the trend correctly.

I swear it was started by satan, or some other evil entity. otis, you had it right - it's torture for those of us afflicted with CRS.

Rick, I think ZHawke is messing with us!

Time to create page: 0.164 seconds