and yet, what difference will it make?

21 Dec 2014 17:54 #1 by Blazer Bob
www.cato.org/blog/senator-coburns-final-report

...Coburn’s final report released last week is another impressive document. Coming in at 320 pages, Tax Decoder digs through the massive federal tax code and highlights hundreds of special deals, carve-outs, and illogical breaks. Tax Decoder’s findings are too voluminous to summarize here, and even seasoned tax wonks will find interesting stuff that they did not know.

Consider the chapter on nonprofit organizations, which spans 42 pages and is buttressed by 462 endnotes. This part of the tax code is a complex mess rife with abuse. Coburn’s staff found that Lady Gaga’s charity raised $2.6 million and handed out just $5,000 one year in benefits, while spending the rest on salaries, promotions, and parties. The Kanye West Foundation spent $572,383 one year, but not a dime on charity.The Cancer Fund for America raised $80 million, but handed out just $890,000 to cancer patients."... :angry:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

21 Dec 2014 18:35 #2 by otisptoadwater
[sarcasm]But Bob, doesn't it make you feel good to donate to a worthy cause? After all, feeling good about yourself is what's important here not the health and well being of cancer patients and their families...[/sarcasm]

What's even more disappointing is the endless cue of sheep that line up to give away their money to organizations like these. Could it be that they really don't understand what happens to the cash they donate or is it more likely that they really don't want to know? "Shut up and take my money so I can say I did something good and feel better about myself..."

I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." - Henry Ford

Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges; When the Republic is at its most corrupt the laws are most numerous. - Publius Cornelius Tacitus

21 Dec 2014 22:36 - 21 Dec 2014 22:36 #3 by Mary Scott
Tax write-offs for their friends while they all party and laugh at how well the scam is working, is my bet.

21 Dec 2014 23:46 #4 by FredHayek
Luckily there are charity review sites out there to warn you about the scam ones. Example: Wounded Warrior fund spends way too much on advertising and exec salaries. Wonder how much the Clinton foundation hands out every year?

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

22 Dec 2014 07:48 #5 by ramage
From the Charity Navigator site the Wounded Warrior Project spends 5.7% on administration and 36.5% on fund raising. Are these numbers the ones you consider excessive or do you have another source?

Time to create page: 0.149 seconds