The United States of Anxiety.

21 Dec 2014 18:04 #1 by Blazer Bob
The biggest hoot of all is the law students who say they can't handle it. I would think that would be instant disqualification from law school.

www.nationalreview.com/article/395160/un...y-kevin-d-williamson

..."If 2014 had a grand theme, it was testicular absence.

In science fiction, corporations are deathless juggernauts imposing their will on governments and galaxies, but in the real world Sony, one of the most powerful business entities in the world, got cowed into submission by the release of some embarrassing e-mails and threats from hackers acting on behalf of the Evil Kingdom of the Hermit Midgets. Hollywood is forever congratulating itself on its courage for banging on, e.g., the American suburban bourgeoisie, because bourgeois American suburbanites don’t generally resolve disagreements by sawing off heads. But let Kim Jung-un take offense at your dopey Seth Rogen movie and Sony is suddenly a wounded kitten.

You think the Weyland-Yutani Corporation would put up with that nonsense?
James Franco and Seth Rogen and the Sony brass might be man-shaped objects carved out of cotton candy, but they are iron men compared with the American college student. Students at the University of California at Irvine felt the need to avail themselves of the services of grief therapists after the grand jury decided not to indict police officer Darren Wilson for a shooting in Ferguson, Mo., some 1,800 miles away. It’s not like the UCI Anteaters don’t have legitimate reasons for grief – starting with the fact that they are called “Anteaters” — but a no-bill from a grand jury five states away isn’t one of them. Meanwhile at Occidental, students who were receiving class credit to work on Democratic political campaigns were reduced to shambolic mounds of blubbering distress by Republican victories."...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

21 Dec 2014 18:41 - 21 Dec 2014 20:41 #2 by otisptoadwater
It would be interesting to survey these kids and find out how many of them actively engage in online gaming with games like Call of Duty and other such first person shooter games. I'm guessing the response would be that games aren't real life; isn't there some case law that set the precedent for the parental warning labels for games, movies, and music? Tipper Gore I know you're still out there...

I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." - Henry Ford

Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges; When the Republic is at its most corrupt the laws are most numerous. - Publius Cornelius Tacitus

21 Dec 2014 20:53 #3 by Blazer Bob
I would like a follow up survey on how they perform as lawyers.

21 Dec 2014 21:33 #4 by Rick
Replied by Rick on topic The United States of Anxiety.

BlazerBob wrote: I would like a follow up survey on how they perform as lawyers.

Is it a requirement to have a spine if you're a lawyer?

It was always the women, and above all the young ones, who were the most bigoted adherents of the Party, the swallowers of slogans, the amateur spies and nosers−out of unorthodoxy

George Orwell

21 Dec 2014 21:42 #5 by Blazer Bob

Rick wrote:

BlazerBob wrote: I would like a follow up survey on how they perform as lawyers.

Is it a requirement to have a spine if you're a lawyer?

I would think so. Can you imagine a lawyer in court so offended by an argument presented by the other side that he runs off and cries.

21 Dec 2014 21:57 #6 by otisptoadwater
A doctor, lawyer, and an office manager survive an aircraft crash in to the ocean. They manage to inflate the survival raft and climb aboard. They take turns paddling the raft toward an island that they see in the distance but the office manager falls asleep during his turn and drops the only paddle on the raft into the ocean. Fortunately the paddle has reflectors built into the handle so it's easy to see and it floats so they know where it is. The paddle drifted 20 yards away from the raft and a swarm of great white sharks are suddenly circling the raft.

The debate ensues, who should swim out to recover the paddle? The office manager is apologetic and begs for mercy citing his wish to return to his family and hope for rescue. The Doctor argues he should stay in the raft because he's the most qualified to assist anyone who might be injured in the course of recovering the paddle or any other illness or injury that might befall the survivors.

The lawyer laughs, then shoots the Doctor and the office manager a knowing look as he jumps over board. He swims out to the paddle, grabs it, and returns to the raft with the paddle as sharks swarm all around him but he returns unscathed. The Doctor and the Office manager help the lawyer back on board the raft and neither of them can help but ask "how did you do that? Weren't you afraid the sharks would attack and eat you?!"

Again the Lawyer laughed and explained "...it's simply a professional courtesy..."

I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." - Henry Ford

Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges; When the Republic is at its most corrupt the laws are most numerous. - Publius Cornelius Tacitus

22 Dec 2014 13:02 #7 by Blazer Bob
"Regular and Independent Study Tuition

Per semester unit: $1,412"
www.oxy.edu/summer-session/tuition-fees

I am guessing that a semester unit is a semester credit. 30/yr to graduate in 4?

www.nationalreview.com/corner/393723/occ...y-children-charles-c

"It seems that California’s Occidental College offers a program that affords students the opportunity to work on a political campaign for a semester. And my goodness are the results hilarious. Per the Los Angeles Times:

In what is believed to be the only college program of its kind, the undergraduates in the Campaign Semester course spent at least 2 1/2 months, often seven days a week, 12 hours a day, working on behalf of candidates in contested states.

None won.

Those candidates: Mary Landrieu, Kay Hagan, Wendy Davis, and Mark Udall.

Evidently, the students didn’t take their losses well:"...

23 Dec 2014 09:41 #8 by pineinthegrass

A recent petition has gathered several thousand signatures already and it specifically requests that Oberlin College give failing black students a grade of “C” at the minimum.

“I would really like to see the normal grading system suspended for this semester and replaced with a no-fail mercy period. Administrators should require professors to exercise complete flexibility in what students are saying they can produce academically.

“Require that every professor listen to what their students are saying and if that means rather than writing a paper students instead meet with their professor to simply discuss in groups their paper topics or if tests are taken collectively with professors there are ways to make sure we are learning what we are supposed to be learning in ways that are not so taxing in times like this.

“Students in this moment should have complete access to alternative modes of learning while we process what’s happening. Basically, no student especially black students and students of color should be failing a class this semester. A ‘C’ should be the lowest grade students can receive this semester. Professors should be required to work with students, who would otherwise be at risk of failing, to create alternate means of accessing knowledge.”

www.inquisitr.com/1699419/black-lives-ma...manding-a-free-pass/ :wreath:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Blazer Bob

23 Dec 2014 11:51 #9 by Rick
Replied by Rick on topic The United States of Anxiety.

pineinthegrass wrote:

A recent petition has gathered several thousand signatures already and it specifically requests that Oberlin College give failing black students a grade of “C” at the minimum.

“I would really like to see the normal grading system suspended for this semester and replaced with a no-fail mercy period. Administrators should require professors to exercise complete flexibility in what students are saying they can produce academically.

“Require that every professor listen to what their students are saying and if that means rather than writing a paper students instead meet with their professor to simply discuss in groups their paper topics or if tests are taken collectively with professors there are ways to make sure we are learning what we are supposed to be learning in ways that are not so taxing in times like this.

“Students in this moment should have complete access to alternative modes of learning while we process what’s happening. Basically, no student especially black students and students of color should be failing a class this semester. A ‘C’ should be the lowest grade students can receive this semester. Professors should be required to work with students, who would otherwise be at risk of failing, to create alternate means of accessing knowledge.”

www.inquisitr.com/1699419/black-lives-ma...manding-a-free-pass/ :wreath:

This originated from The Onion right?

It was always the women, and above all the young ones, who were the most bigoted adherents of the Party, the swallowers of slogans, the amateur spies and nosers−out of unorthodoxy

George Orwell

Time to create page: 0.160 seconds