Tesla: Self Driving Car In Three Months

25 Mar 2015 12:05 #11 by FredHayek
:angry: Won't be as much fun flipping off self-driven vehicles. :dislike:

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

25 Mar 2015 12:37 #12 by Rick

LOL wrote:

Nobody that matters wrote:

PrintSmith wrote: One can only hope the "OFF" button never disappears from choices allowed. The very thought of giving my safety over to a bunch of software developers makes my skin crawl. I'll take my chances with vehicles operated by flawed humans please . . .

I'm a software developer with over 20 years experience in lots of different coding shops. I agree with PS completely.

Sorry PS, although I agree, its already way too late for newer cars. Drive by wire, ABS, ESC stability and traction control, electric motor power steering. The computer, code, and sensors are already between you and the vehicle "outputs".

At best, you could yank the battery cable with your hand, and apply a mechanical emergency brake. :)

Well you can (on most cars) disable your ABS and your brakes will do their job, you just have to pump them old school on ice, and while there are a few cars with electric power steering, there is still a mechanical connection between the steering wheel and the wheels... just no power assist if it goes out. Throttle by wire is one thing you can't get around if it goes out.

It was always the women, and above all the young ones, who were the most bigoted adherents of the Party, the swallowers of slogans, the amateur spies and nosers−out of unorthodoxy

George Orwell

25 Mar 2015 17:48 #13 by PrintSmith

LOL wrote:

Nobody that matters wrote:

PrintSmith wrote: One can only hope the "OFF" button never disappears from choices allowed. The very thought of giving my safety over to a bunch of software developers makes my skin crawl. I'll take my chances with vehicles operated by flawed humans please . . .

I'm a software developer with over 20 years experience in lots of different coding shops. I agree with PS completely.

Sorry PS, although I agree, its already way too late for newer cars. Drive by wire, ABS, ESC stability and traction control, electric motor power steering. The computer, code, and sensors are already between you and the vehicle "outputs".

At best, you could yank the battery cable with your hand, and apply a mechanical emergency brake. :)

Yeah, I know, but at the moment nothing happens unless and until I say it does even if I have to wait for the computer to interpret hard far past the firewall I'm pressing the accelerator or the brake. All my vehicles are manual transmissions as well, which means I still get to choose the gear and the clutch position with no computers "assisting" me. :whistle:

And though no one else has yet decided to go there, I have no such compunctions. The one possible bright side to this technology, other than I-80 through Nebraska and Iowa, is that after a few too many at the local watering hole the vehicle will be able to get you home safe and sound on auto-pilot. Cops will never know if you are smashed behind the wheel or not because you will always be following the speed limit, always gently braking, always centered in the lane, always have the proper distance between you and any other cars, always using your turn signals (especially if they pair the GPS and the auto-pilot) and always have the proper lights illuminated for the time of day.

25 Mar 2015 21:17 #14 by FredHayek
Might be very handy for seniors and others with failing eyesight. Restores their mobility. :chocbunny:

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

25 Mar 2015 21:48 #15 by otisptoadwater

FredHayek wrote: :angry: Won't be as much fun flipping off self-driven vehicles. :dislike:

A self driving car would surely take all of the challenge out of mooning the next car over from the driver's seat too! Difficulty drops from a 10/10 down to a 2/10 with the only challenge left being getting creative enough to get the occupants of the other cars attention.

:blush: :whistle:

I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." - Henry Ford

Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges; When the Republic is at its most corrupt the laws are most numerous. - Publius Cornelius Tacitus

26 Mar 2015 06:53 - 26 Mar 2015 07:07 #16 by LOL
And here is why we need these self driving cars ASAP, your very own members of congress demonstrate their incredible parking skills! :)

www.businessinsider.com/watch-a-member-o...king-job-ever-2015-3

If you want to be, press one. If you want not to be, press 2

Republicans are red, democrats are blue, neither of them, gives a flip about you.

29 Mar 2015 11:00 #17 by LOL
And it gets even better... Not even a self driving car is suitable for this DC genius.

www.nbcwashington.com/news/local/Driverl...witch-264501711.html

"D.C. Del. Eleanor Holmes Norton was about to take a ride in a driverless vehicle when a technical difficulty temporarily sidelined it.

Other members of Congress and the Department of Transportation took a ride before her, but when Holmes Norton climbed into the GM SUV, she hit the kill switch."

"Norton, a ranking member of the Highways and Transit Subcommittee of the House Committee on Transportation and Infrastructure, thinks cars like it could have a future as long as they have safety features, like the button she pushed."

Ranking Member? Like, uh she shouldn't even be allowed to have a freaking drivers license, much less dictate transportation policy for the country. :whohoo:

If you want to be, press one. If you want not to be, press 2

Republicans are red, democrats are blue, neither of them, gives a flip about you.

29 Mar 2015 19:45 #18 by ScienceChic
:P Maybe she was trying to test that feature to make sure it worked? LOL!

otisptoadwater wrote:

FredHayek wrote: :angry: Won't be as much fun flipping off self-driven vehicles. :dislike:

A self driving car would surely take all of the challenge out of mooning the next car over from the driver's seat too! Difficulty drops from a 10/10 down to a 2/10 with the only challenge left being getting creative enough to get the occupants of the other cars attention.

:blush: :whistle:

You guys are funny! :cheer:

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

Time to create page: 0.163 seconds