The First Question to Ask Each and Every 2016 Presidential Candidate

22 May 2015 17:45 #1 by ScienceChic
Because "how someone answers tells you far more about who they really are than the actual answer itself."

Exactly.

The Canary
Jim Wright, Stonekettle Station
May 22, 2015

Are gay people born gay?

Or is sexual orientation a choice?

Well? What do you think? Which one is it?

That question, that one right there, is the first question I want asked of each and every candidate for President of the United States in 2016. I want this question put to every candidate and put to them hard. No evasion, no dissembling, no moving the goalposts, no changing the subject.

So why do I think this particular question should be first on the agenda?

Well, take a minute and think about it.

Think about it in the context of rights and liberty, in the context of the ongoing debate over the role of government, in the context of society and individuals and where the line between the two is drawn.

Why?

Why this question?

Because it’s the perfect test.

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill
The following user(s) said Thank You: ValonNichols

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

22 May 2015 18:57 #2 by Blazer Bob
Perfect test of what? That has my nomination for the dumbest post of 2015.

22 May 2015 19:55 #3 by HEARTLESS

BlazerBob wrote: Perfect test of what? That has my nomination for the dumbest post of 2015.

Possibly ever. :blink:

The silent majority will be silent no more.

22 May 2015 19:58 #4 by ScienceChic
Soooo, you guys didn't read the whole post? :popcorn:

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

22 May 2015 20:26 #5 by HEARTLESS

The silent majority will be silent no more.

23 May 2015 06:15 #6 by FredHayek
:oregonwine: Personally I prefer my candidates to respect freedoms of Americans. :homebrave: Too bad a lot of them like curtailing them. Now to the being born that way question, in Kinsey's mind most of us are bisexual to a degree, but I see too many LGBT people equating their homosexuality to a peculiarity of the genes. Is that smart politically? Would you rather define yourself as a tiny well defined minority of 5 to 10% of the population that was born that way, or rather a much larger group who goes back and forth? I know more than a few woman who have had committed relationships with both sexes over the course of a lifetime.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

23 May 2015 15:18 #7 by Rick
That seems like a silly first question to me unless it's just a gotcha question by one of the talking heads on MSNBC.

My first question would be "is your priority as president going to be to concentrate more power to the federal government, keep it relatively the same, or reduce it in favor of individual states"?

These gotcha social questions are getting tiresome. How about this one "at what point is it morally acceptable to dismember a human fetus?". That would be a difficult question for most to answer, especially if they are a parent.

It was always the women, and above all the young ones, who were the most bigoted adherents of the Party, the swallowers of slogans, the amateur spies and nosers−out of unorthodoxy

George Orwell

24 May 2015 10:19 #8 by ScienceChic
With the exception of FH, all of you are missing the point. I'm not sure if it's because you didn't want to read the long article of Jim's, you didn't want to spend the brain power thinking about what he was trying to say (I get that, it's a holiday weekend), or you don't agree and just don't want to say so, but you are off by a mile. It's not a dumb post BB. Any Libertarian reading this should be agreeing with what he has to say: you want the government to stay out of people's lives and defend the Constitution, period. Asking the question he posed and waiting to see how they answer tells you everything you need to know about that candidate and what choices they will make in office.

Jim Wright wrote: And that takes us right back around to where we began.

Sexual orientation. Are you born that way or is it a choice? Well, what is your answer?

<snip>

Whether we are born the way we are or whether we choose it is a bullshit question.

But the answer does matter.

In the context of rights and liberty, in the context of the ongoing debate over the role of government, in the context of society and individuals and where the line between the two is drawn, among the ongoing issues of war and conflict, energy, climate, education, trade, resources, technology, immigration, it is imperative that we not lose sight of who we are and what our country is supposed to be.

Just like the question put to Jeb Bush up above, how someone answers tells you far more about who they really are than the actual answer itself. It tells you whether they will stand up for liberty, for freedom, for justice, for all Americans, for all human beings, regardless, or if they are slaves to dogma and ideology.

Because I am not allowed to quote as much as I would like, go read what he wrote that I snipped out for the full context. Tell me you disagree. Tell me the media shouldn't be asking harder questions and, more importantly, that the American Public shouldn't be listening harder. Tell me we wouldn't get a better government if that question was asked, and the answer actually mean something in terms of making or breaking a candidate's chances of being elected.

Go ahead. Tell me. :huh: :)

24 May 2015 10:37 #9 by Rick
I just don't think the question has a good answer, especially after knowing a woman all my life who has admitted to me that she never had a sexual attraction to women until she was emotionally and physically abused by a boyfriend and then again by a husband who she divorced two years ago. Now she's in a happy relationship with another woman. I just think this notion that you are always born gay is a bit like saying the science is settled on... whatever.

I think a better and more fair question for a candidate would be, "do you believe two people of the same sex have the right to be married'?

It was always the women, and above all the young ones, who were the most bigoted adherents of the Party, the swallowers of slogans, the amateur spies and nosers−out of unorthodoxy

George Orwell

24 May 2015 11:07 #10 by Nobody that matters
I don't care about trick questions.

I don't care about trick answers.

I want a candidate that speaks simple and true, and I have yet to find that candidate.

"Whatever you are, be a good one." ~ Abraham Lincoln

Time to create page: 0.174 seconds