Guns Don't Kill People, People Kill People

26 Feb 2018 19:29 #261 by ScienceChic
ramage, if Carrie chooses not to read a source, it is her choice. We are not going to harass or shame people about what they choose here, we debate the issues not each other and what they believe. Is there another source of the video you posted?

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

26 Feb 2018 22:36 #262 by ramage
SC,
Carrie dismissed Andrew Pollack, father of Meadow who was killed in Parkland, out of hand because his comments were on Fox News as posted by Blazer Bob. I did not shame her rather I pointed out how callous her posting was. She did not bother to comment on Andrew Pollack but disparaged the source without bothering to see its content. I did not post the video. Just as I review your postings, and see the original, (e.g. your Dr. Sher, Atlantic Monthly essay posting) I read them before commenting and offer additional sources. I took the time to watch the video he linked to and expect the same from others who are commenting. Otherwise no one is debating the issues rather they are dismissive based simply upon the source.
I would encourage everyone to view the video that Blazer Bob proffered.

28 Feb 2018 15:23 - 28 Feb 2018 15:26 #263 by Blazer Bob
[img]http://www.shttp://www.siliconinvestor.com/public/3492467_a228af82596049b8ffaaf9f4ae160423.jpgiliconinvestor.com/public/3492467_a228af82596049b8ffaaf9f4ae160423.jpg

www.siliconinvestor.com/public/3492467_a...ffaaf9f4ae160423.jpg

28 Feb 2018 15:41 #264 by FredHayek
A lot of this discussion is about what we consider reasonable gun control. Since the FBI yearly rifle deaths have been going down year after year, less than 400 people were killed in a nation of 320 million Americans. Is that enough deaths to justify banning over twenty million semiauto rifles? And what would the ban entail? Grandfathering the ones owned now? Buying them up at $1000 each? Giving people 10 years to turn them in? It seems like a lot of exercise to prevent 400 deaths. Almost 60,000 Americans die of Heroin and similar drugs every year, would it be better to spend the money there? Or does America only do something if it is white school kids dying in the suburbs?

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

02 Mar 2018 07:11 #265 by ramage
"Fatherlessness is a serious problem. America’s boys have been under stress for decades. It’s not toxic masculinity hurting them, it’s the fact that when they come home there are no fathers there. Plain and simple. Add that to a bunch of horrible cultural trends telling them that everything bad is good (gang culture, drugs, misogyny, etc.), and we’ve got a serious problem on our hands.

Venker goes on to explain that of CNN’s list of the “27 Deadliest Mass Shootings In U.S. History, only one was raised by his biological father since childhood.

Read more at www.patheos.com/blogs/markmeckler/2018/0.../#Oo7AWOCqAxdp14Vi.9 "

How can this be reversed?

30 Apr 2018 20:31 #267 by Carrie
Fox news has, for some time now, been a propaganda source for the right wing. My point is, if you wish to watch it, do so. I occasionally do myself, then go to multiple other sources to get a different "slant" on the same story--quite a difference. The truth, hopefully, can be deduced as being somewhere in the middle.

30 Apr 2018 20:40 #268 by Carrie
Rampage--You are incorrect and should probably re-read my posts.
"It is easier to fool people than to convince them they have been fooled"--attributed to Mark Twain

Sciencechic--It is rare I ever agree with about everything someone else says. You are the exception. I appreciate your factual presentations of your position.

01 May 2018 14:44 #269 by FredHayek

ZHawkeTed wrote: My Two Cents: Thoughts on ‘Civilian’ Weaponry

High velocity? Maybe. But in Colorado, Fish and Game won't let you use a AR-15 to hunt deer and elk. It doesn't do enough damage to kill the animal. More likely to wound it. The .223 round was developed from a .222 varmint round used to shoot prairie dogs.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

Time to create page: 0.340 seconds