Guns Don't Kill People, People Kill People

05 Jul 2015 16:36 #51 by ZHawke
Replied by ZHawke on topic Guns Don't Kill People, People Kill People
Please take a look at these stats as of July 5, 2015. Then tell me we don't have a gun violence problem in the U.S.

File Attachment:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

05 Jul 2015 16:46 #52 by HEARTLESS
Back to ignoring direct questions yet again I see. When you seek discussion, then choose to ignore questions, you prove your insincerity is only exceeded by dishonesty. Bub bye.

The silent majority will be silent no more.

05 Jul 2015 16:48 #53 by ZHawke

HEARTLESS wrote: Actually holding our DA's responsible for enforcing the laws by trying cases, having a Gov. that trusts the people and court system to carry out the death penalty, having a Mayor and his appointed Chief that no longer coddle criminals while endangering our police officers is hardly a status quo proposal, but I anxiously await your proposals.

Think "prosecutorial discretion", HEARTLESS. If you look up the definition, it basically says prosecutors have virtually absolute power in deciding whether or not to move forward with cases. When negligence is involved, it appears prosecutors balk at going forward with any charges because those responsible/negligent have "suffered enough already". Of course, the prosecutorial discretion thing goes to other cases, as well.

As far as the rest of your logic is concerned, I'm not so sure it's on topic here. That might be the subject of a whole different thread, actually.

On proposals, I've already shared some in another thread via Jim Wright whom you proceeded, if I remember correctly, to label a "self-proclaimed gun expert": mymountaintown.com/forum/6-the-courthous...oach-to-gun-violence

Please forgive me if I choose to go with his reasoning and his proposals.

05 Jul 2015 16:49 - 05 Jul 2015 17:16 #54 by ZHawke

HEARTLESS wrote: Back to ignoring direct questions yet again I see. When you seek discussion, then choose to ignore questions, you prove your insincerity is only exceeded by dishonesty. Bub bye.

Good grief, HEARTLESS! Give me a chance to address them before going all indignant on me. I found the Gun Archives info and shared it. THEN I tried to address your post. Give me a break, Dude!

Editing out the expletive I used in response to HEARTLESS. My apologies to other readers of this thread. Seems he got to me.....again.

I might just have to say adios to him, too.

06 Jul 2015 10:41 #55 by ScienceChic
Perfect example right here. A man's life is ended, his family forever changed because some asshole thought the laws didn't apply to them and fired a gun where it was illegal to do so. I don't care if it was an "accident" and s/he didn't intend to kill anyone, the fact is that s/he did and s/he should go to jail for it. If the law weren't in place, then there would be no means by which to hold them responsible, and that law should be enforced. That's not punishing law-abiding gun owners, that's punishing an irresponsible law-breaker who took someone's life.

Man fatally shot by stray bullet while camping at Rainbow Falls campground
Posted 5:17 pm, July 5, 2015, by Tak Landrock

PIKE NATIONAL FOREST, Colo. — A-60-year old man was shot and killed while camping with his family Friday night in a secluded campground near Woodland Park.

The Douglas County Sheriff’s Office believes the man was struck by a stray bullet fired about 6:30 p.m.

Signs near the entrance of the Rainbow Falls Campground warn visitors that shooting is illegal, but gunshots could be heard Sunday and shotgun casing were found on several trails near the campsite where the man was killed in southwest Douglas County.

The sheriff’s office is asking for the public to help identify anyone who was in the area shooting a high-powered rifle.

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

06 Jul 2015 11:29 - 06 Jul 2015 14:42 #56 by ZHawke
Here's another one: 4 Found Dead in Apparent Murder-Suicide at South Carolina Home

Since this incident apparently ended in a suicide, and some have questioned whether suicide should even be included in "gun violence" discussions, does it then not constitute gun violence? Also waiting to see if somehow this incident might have been related to "domestic violence". If that's what did happen, does it qualify as "gun violence" because "domestic violence" has been put out there as different from gun violence?

This, to me, is how conversations about gun violence get convoluted to such a point that we seem to suffer from collective cognitive dissonance on the subject. Oops! Did I just use the word "collective"?

Splitting hairs is not the way to arrive at some kind of solution to a problem - gun violence or not. Bogging ourselves down into the minutiae is, all too often, both counter intuitive and counter productive.

One more link on what I'm trying to point out here: What We Don't Know About Gun Laws Hurts Us

Whether anyone accepts what the author has to say, he makes some valid points as far as I'm concerned.

06 Jul 2015 12:19 #57 by PrintSmith
There's that amorphous phrase again - "gun violence" - which can mean anything anyone decides they wish it to mean, which makes the phrase meaningless outside of the echo chamber it was cultivated in.

Are we next going to start calling all automobile collisions "auto violence"? Makes as much sense as what you are attempting to do here with that other useless phrase . . .
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jukerado

06 Jul 2015 12:25 #58 by ZHawke

PrintSmith wrote: There's that amorphous phrase again - "gun violence" - which can mean anything anyone decides they wish it to mean, which makes the phrase meaningless outside of the echo chamber it was cultivated in.

Are we next going to start calling all automobile collisions "auto violence"? Makes as much sense as what you are attempting to do here with that other useless phrase . . .

One could also say you're once again using a logical fallacy to compare two disparate types of incidents. Truth is, the "phrase" is meaningless to you. It isn't to me. Where does that leave us? Excuse me, but I'll stick with my interpretation and perception of the "phrase" over yours.

07 Jul 2015 12:37 #59 by PrintSmith

PrintSmith wrote: . . . which makes the phrase meaningless outside of the echo chamber it was cultivated in.

I acknowledged it had meaning to you Z, and why. But don't think for even a second that echo chamber nonsense is going to be allowed to stand unchallenged anytime it is used.

Learned my lesson when those seeking to infringe on the liberty of others cultivated terms like "assault weapon" and "high capacity magazine" to similarly attempt to vilify those who took exception to having their liberties infringed. Those phrases made it into popular vernacular essentially unchallenged by those who knew the phrases were just a load of hooey. Now this same group of control fanatics is at it again, trying to foment the impression that it isn't a matter of if that gun will cause harm, only when it will cause harm.

Inventing terms to control the tenor of the debate isn't a tactic that will remain unchallenged anymore - the phrase will be challenged whenever it is used to expose it for the empty, meaningless nonsense that it is.

07 Jul 2015 16:33 - 07 Jul 2015 16:34 #60 by Rick

ZHawke wrote: As long as you do not claim guns "save lives", I'm ok with the concept that guns don't kill people.

I haven't read through this thread yet, but I will say that you are 100% correct. Guns don't save people, nor do they kill them...on their own. That said, there are no other tools that I can think of that are as effective in countering another gun or any other weapon being used by a criminal. I see a gun like I do a hammer... a hammer can't build a house on it's own but can if used by someone who knows how to use it. It can't kill someone on it's own either unless used by a criminal strong enough to swing it. But it's not a great self defense weapon against someone else with a hammer, for that I would recommend a gun.

It was always the women, and above all the young ones, who were the most bigoted adherents of the Party, the swallowers of slogans, the amateur spies and nosers−out of unorthodoxy

George Orwell

Time to create page: 0.512 seconds