A rare detailed look inside the IRS’s massive data breach, via one victim

28 Aug 2015 17:47 #1 by ScienceChic
This boggles my mind that the government entity that is responsible for safeguarding our most private financial information could have this big of a security hole, not be on top of it fixing it, AND not make more of an effort to go after those who have stolen money.

I'm starting to think my DH is right, we should go back to a flat tax rate and get rid of the complicated bureaucracy.

A rare detailed look inside the IRS’s massive data breach, via a security expert who was a victim
Written by Keith Collins
August 27, 2015

Michael Kasper thought he was ahead of the game when he sat down to do his taxes this year. It was a Friday in February, more than two months before the mid-April filing deadline, and snow still covered the front lawn of his home in Poughkeepsie, in upstate New York. “I had all the papers,” he recalled. “I had the W2 and the 1099s stacked up, and I typed them all in.”

But a few hours after he tried to submit his tax return online, he got an email saying it had already been filed—a week earlier.

The story of Kasper’s tax return would eventually turn out to involve a bank account in rural Pennsylvania, a go-between on Craigslist, and a Western Union wire transfer to Nigeria. He was almost certainly one of the more than 330,000 Americans who fell victim to an audacious hack of the Internal Revenue Service (IRS), which was disclosed earlier this year. And the hackers didn’t use sophisticated malware or social engineering tactics—the hallmarks of many recent data breaches. Instead, they walked in through the front door of the IRS website, pretending to be regular people filing their taxes, and walked out with millions of dollars in fraudulent refunds.

IRS Data Breach Exposed 334,000 Taxpayer Accounts
The new number is more than three times the estimate the IRS had given in May.
By Jeff Goldman | Posted August 19, 2015

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

28 Aug 2015 19:25 #2 by RY
same here... I was informed that someone else already filed under my name... what a mess..

28 Aug 2015 22:15 #3 by Blazer Bob

ScienceChic wrote: This boggles my mind that the government entity that is responsible for safeguarding our most private financial information could have this big of a security hole, not be on top of it fixing it, AND not make more of an effort to go after those who have stolen money.

Why? It is not there money. Besides they are too busy persecuting the administrations ideological opponents and trying to cover up same.

This is not exclusive to the IRS. It is a byproduct of a government that has grown too big and powerful. It becomes a cancer.

29 Aug 2015 06:58 #4 by RenegadeCJ
Your DH is right. A flat tax would be great, since it would get rid of a lot of bureaucracy, in addition to getting rid of the "favors" the govt gives to different companies to make them bend to their will. It would also get rid of a lot of the cronyism since lobbyists wouldn't get the same bang for their buck.

This is what govt is. No accountability at all. Have you heard of anyone who got fired at the IRS over all this? How about how many got fired at the EPA over their spill into the Animas river? In a private company, those inept people would have been let go, but in govt, they either keep going as usual, or move them to another dept, just building up their huge pensions.

Too bad future generations aren't here to see all the great things we are spending their $$ on!!

29 Aug 2015 08:46 #5 by NeutralGuy
This is the second year in a row that the Mrs. NeutralGuy had someone file with her Soc. Sec. last year we got our return in May we are still waiting this year.

Have called the IRS and basically can not bitch until October they said they have received all the forms so now it is just a waiting game.

Do you think they will pay us interest? NOT

02 Sep 2015 13:19 #6 by ComputerBreath
My 24-year old son had his stolen, too. I think the IRS needs to scrap their website and any "authentication" methods it uses until they can hire somebody to secure their system.

02 Sep 2015 13:43 #7 by FredHayek
One reason to do your taxes early? Happened to my sister too.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

Time to create page: 0.154 seconds