Position: Children’s Program Leader
Department: Recreation - Playschool
Reports to: Children’s Program Director - Playschool
Oversees: Supervision of Children and Program Aides
Location: Buchanan Park and/or Wulf Recreation Centers
Status: Part-Time (2-3 days per week; 8:30 AM - 1 PM)
Hourly Wage: $9.30 - $12.50 hourly
Under the direction of the Children’s Program Director - Playschool, the Children’s Program Leader is responsible for teaching and supervising participants in the child care programs offered by the District including Playschool.
• Assist in supervising program activities and aid in the instruction of specialized activities such
as arts and crafts.
• Monitors participants by taking name count, and number count on a regular basis, and
assigning buddies if needed.
• Supervises participants at all times.
• Report accidents and injuries that occur in programs. Provide first aid as needed.
• Set up and clean up activity area as needed.
• Report absenteeism to supervisor, and arrange for substitutions.
• Attend orientation, scheduled staff meetings and trainings.
• Communicates daily with parents in a positive manner regarding participant’s activities.
• Interact individually or in groups with the participants in order to help them engage in
• Report any problem situations to the supervisor.
• Dress appropriately for activities.
• Must possess a highly defined focus towards both internal and external guest service.
• Assist in maintaining a safe and healthy environment.
• Assist in keeping accurate records of information regarding the parents and the participants.
• Other duties as assigned.
• Supervision of children.
• Assists with cleaning areas and equipment.
• Participate in trainings and staff meetings.
• Lead participants in activities.
• Assist with planning activities.
• Assist with communication with parents.
• Excellent problem solving skills.
• Basic math/accounting skills.
• Basic Macintosh terminal and MS Office Suite skills.
• Excellent customer service skills.
• Verbal and written communication skills.
• Must be highly motivated, organized and creative.
• Thorough knowledge of modern principles, methods, practices and equipment relating to the
functional areas of responsibility.
• Knowledge of instruction methods with participants.
• Knowledge of needs and age appropriate activities for participants.
• Knowledge of the policies and procedures of the District and state licensing.
• Ability to work in a "structured chaos" environment.
• Ability to demonstrate and lead activities.
• Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with other employees, civic
organizations, community agencies, parents and the general public.
• Ability to multi-task, be flexible, cooperative, and focused.
• Ability to problem solve.
• Must be at least 18 years of age
• Must demonstrate ability to work with children.
• Current CPR, First Aid Certifications, and Universal Precautions; or ability to complete after
• Previous experience as a Children’s Program Leader.
Please note: This job description is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, or qualifications associated with this job.
Please click on position title for more information.
Bus (Shuttle) Driver
Cheer Camp Coach
Children's Program Aide - Playschool
Children’s Program Leader - Early Childhood
Children’s Program Leader - Playschool
Children’s Program Leader - School Aged
General Recreation Instructor - Pickleball
General Recreation Instructor 2 - Climbing Camps
Specialized Instructor - Trail Running