Position: Specialized Instructor - Trail Running
Reports To: Recreation Supervisor - Programs
Oversees: Running Activities
Location: Various facilities/locations throughout the District
Schedule: Part Time (1-2 hours per week)
Under the direction of the Recreation Supervisor - Programs, this position is responsible for teaching skills in trail running in a public recreational facility and performs the duties as outlined in the job description.
• Assists in the explanation and demonstration of basic trail running skills.
• Supervises up to 20 participants.
• Proactively monitor and assist in the prevention and response to emergencies.
• Assists in the explanation and demonstration of principles, techniques, and methods of
regulating movement of body, hands and feet to achieve proficiency.
• Observes participants to detect and correct mistakes.
• Assists with the explanation and enforcement of safety rules and regulations.
• Assists with supervision of participants at parties and special events when applicable.
• Finds substitutes for classes when not available.
• Communicates with parents, participants and supervisor regularly.
• Move, set up and clean up for participants, including but not limited to pushing or pulling up to
• Must posses a highly defined focus toward both internal and external guest service.
• Create interesting and up-to-date programs.
• Demonstrate proper techniques.
• Keep accurate record of participants’ attendance, payment and progress.
• Report all accidents and injuries that occur in class, following District procedures.
• Cooperate with Recreation Supervisor - Programs in outlining the program: establishing
standards, scheduling classes, and making decisions concerning class structure.
• Assist in regular evaluation of the program and individual instruction.
• Attend staff meetings when scheduled.
• Dress appropriately for activity.
• Report absenteeism to Supervisor, and to Cashiers to arrange for substitution.
• Substitute for other instructors as needed and available.
• Oversees activities and actions of applicable program participants.
• Set up class-specific equipment and return to storage.
• Perform all required duties in a timely manner as assigned.
• Check equipment on a regular basis to ensure a safe environment for class participants.
• Assist in maintaining area cleanliness and acceptable levels of sanitation.
• Administer first aid and/or emergency care when necessary, or solicit help from a qualified staff
• Report any problems to the Supervisor.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
• Strong customer service orientation.
• Skills, as applicable, to assist participants, including extended periods of standing and
• Expert knowledge of modern principles, instructional methods, practices, equipment, and
techniques relating to the functional areas of responsibility.
• Thorough knowledge of applicable class curriculum and/or lesson plans.
• Knowledge of District policies and procedures.
• Ability to transfer knowledge of specialized area to class participants.
• Ability to instruct participants properly and safely to reach goal.
• 1 - 3 years of instructional experience in specified recreational activity/sport.
• Current First Aid and CPR certifications.
• Hold certification in area of instruction.
• Attend workshops and seminars in area of instruction.
Please note: This job description is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, or qualifications associated with this job.
Please click on position title for more information.
Bus (Shuttle) Driver
Cheer Camp Coach
Children's Program Aide - Playschool
Children’s Program Leader - Early Childhood
Children’s Program Leader - Playschool
Children’s Program Leader - School Aged
General Recreation Instructor - Pickleball
General Recreation Instructor 2 - Climbing Camps
Specialized Instructor - Trail Running