- $12.99/hour plus benefits There is an opportunity for increase upon completion of specified training periods and obtaining commission as an Animal Protection Agent through the State of Colorado
- October 2, 2017
- Open Until Filled
YOU MUST COMPLETE A FULL SHERIFF'S OFFICE APPLICATION..and the online application, the Application Addendum for Sheriff's Office.is required. To expedite receipt of your application, you may send it via fax to (719) 836-4113 or as a scanned document via email to the Sheriff's Office. The original application should be delivered to the Park County Sheriff's Office at 1180 County Road 16, Fairplay, Colorado, 80440 or mailed via US Mail to PO Box 604, Fairplay, CO, 80440.
Description: Under the direction of the supervisor, this position is primarily responsible for enforcing specific resolutions and/or ordinances enacted by Park County to regulate and control the domestic animal population for the safety and welfare of the public.
- Shall be a compliance enforcement officer for Park County and shall hold a commission as an animal protection officer through the Bureau of Animal Protection (BAP). Commission shall be for companion small animal and equine protection.
- Will have the power to enforce County Animal Control Resolutions 95-11, Park County Ordinances 03-01 and State animal control statutes. This enforcement power is limited to issuance of Penalty Assessments and Summons, with no arrest powers.
- Shall maintain a good working knowledge of all County Resolutions, Ordinances and appropriate State Statues. Will fairly enforce those resolutions, ordinances and statutes respecting the public’s constitutional rights. Shall prepare appropriate written reports to substantiate all violations cited, and be prepared to testify on behalf of the County and State in court, including cruelty cases.
- Will be required to know and follow all Park County Sheriff’s Office Policies and Procedures.
- Will be responsible for the issuance of Park County Dog Licenses, keeping accurate records on all licenses issued. Will be responsible for all money received and turn that deposit over to Support Services.
- Will be responsible for collecting Impound fees and Park County Resolution Summon fees, keep accurate records of all monies received and will turn those monies over to Support Services.
- Shall be responsible for maintaining, in good working condition, any vehicle issued him/her and notify the Supervisor of any repairs necessary. Will also be responsible for any other animal control equipment, office equipment, and supplies issued to the officer.
- Shall be responsible for maintaining the Park County Animal Control Facility, keeping the facility clean at all times. Will be responsible to oversee that all pens and cages are cleaned daily. Will also clean all pens and cages daily if necessary. Will be responsible for supervising part-time officers, auxiliary officers and any volunteers or community service workers who are assigned to cleaning duties at the facility.
- Will work scheduled on-call shifts.
- Will be responsible for overseeing that all animals are fed and proper care is given in a humane manner, keeping accurate records on all animals taken into custody at the Animal Control Facility.
- Shall be responsible for transporting animals to be euthanized when not claimed or adopted. Shall be responsible for the disposal of euthanized dog and cat carcasses. In addition to carcasses of euthanized animals, will also dispose of any dog or cat carcasses found on public property with owner identification.
- Will answer directly to the Animal Control Officer Supervisor.
- Must complete a minimum of 10 hours/year training through the BAP in order to maintain certification.
- All other related duties as may be assigned.
Park County Sheriff's Office, Fairplay, Colorado 80440
High School Diploma or equivalent; post certification is preferred; must be 21 years or older; must consent to and pass a background check; valid Colorado Drivers License; Must have the ability to deal with people and the skill and temperament to work with animals; Must be able to communicate verbally and in writing
- Bureau of Animal Protection Commission will be obtained during employment
Offers of employment are conditional upon successful completion of background check. Park County is an EEO employer.