- $17.39 -$20.19 per hour DOE/Q plus benefits
- August 29, 2017
- Open Until Filled
The particular level of position and rate of pay will be dependent upon the candidate's qualifications and experience.
General Description: In accordance with local, state, and federal regulations performs basic professional public and environmental health duties to protect and maintain public and environmental health standards in Park County. Performs technical investigations and interprets and enforces regulations.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Help ensure compliance with Colorado’s Core Public Health Services.
- Perform a variety of on-site technical inspections to insure compliance with public health regulations, including retail food service establishments and other food providers, such as restaurants, child care providers, schools, camps; complaint response and investigation and other inspections as assigned. Review plans for new establishments and temporary events, and consult business owners and operators.
- Perform a variety of on-site technical inspections to insure compliance with environmental health regulations. Manage the individual sewage disposal system program including plan reviews and site inspections. Perform water and wastewater inspections, environmental surveys, swimming pool inspections, and other inspections as assigned.
- On behalf of the County, assist with educating, promoting, and soliciting cooperation for environmental and water quality practices from other professionals, agencies, and community groups. Research and provide technical assistance, advice, and interpretation regarding such topics as public and environmental health problems, their control and resolution, laws, regulations, codes and guidelines governing health and sanitation, hazardous wastes, and occupational hazards.
- Assist in ensuring compliance with State requirements for locating, monitoring, and reporting zoonotic disease occurrences, including plague, hantavirus, and rabies. Participate in foodborne illness investigations.
- Participate in planning and implementing water quality projects; conduct studies and investigations; recommend corrective measures.
- Prepare historical documentation regarding public and environmental health issues for prosecuting agencies if voluntary compliance is not achieved.
- Review topography, geology and locations for proper siting of facilities. Request further information for review on sites which do not meet the regulator profile.
- Assist in research and studies for environmental projects. Attend conferences and training as directed. Prepare new and updated standards, regulations, codes, and policies.
- Prepare and maintain a variety of records pertaining to public and environmental health.
- Provide information to the public, business owners and operators, governmental agencies and citizen groups.
- Assist with and participate in emergency response as necessary.
- Perform other related duties as assigned
The job location is based in Fairplay, Colorado although travel throughout the county is required for inspections.
- BS degree in Environmental Health or closely related field; or 2 years of experience in a position supervised by an environmental health officer with the degree and 2 years experience
- All candidates must have valid Colorado Driver's License
- Must pass background check
This position will interact with citizens; business owners, local, state and federal agencies; and other Park County staff on a regular basis communicating technical information. This position must be able to effectively communicate complicated information with citizens of the county that at times may be upset and angry.
Park County is an Equal Opportunity Employer.