In 1955 in Indian Hills, the need for a source of information for a growing mountain community gave rise to a monthly newspaper called Smoke Signals. Backed financially by the Indian Hills Fire Department, it started on a shoestring but grew steadily along with the community. Within six months of creation, the Inter-Canyon and Idledale departments were also pitching in.
In October 1958, under editor and publisher Vern Manning, Smoke Signals became the Canyon Courier, an independent weekly newspaper.
Today, the Courier focuses more tightly on the Evergreen area, which has grown to become a large, thriving and economically diverse community.
Along with our three sister newspapers — the High Timber Times (Conifer), the Clear Creek Courant (Clear Creek County) and the Columbine Courier (South Jeffco), our goal as newspapers remains the same: unite our communities with a reliable and local source of information, advertising and — now — online content.
Thanks for reading.