Shooting at Arapahoe High School

13 Dec 2013 13:25 #1 by ScienceChic

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

13 Dec 2013 13:32 #2 by ScienceChic
Per @ArapahoeSO

File Attachment:

They already know a potential suspect, are working on evacuating students still remaining inside the building.

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

13 Dec 2013 13:51 #3 by ScienceChic
They are searching all students coming out of the school. They've locked down the hallway of the locker of the suspect, and at least one of the students transported to a hospital is identified as a witness.

File Attachment:

13 Dec 2013 13:57 #4 by JMC
Sounds like the little creep killed himself

13 Dec 2013 13:59 #5 by ScienceChic
Yes, the Sheriff is reporting now during the live briefing that he was found of an apparent self-inflicted gunshot wound. They are in contact with his family. Investigating to confirm there wasn't a 2nd shooter. They'll update media more at 3pm.

13 Dec 2013 14:17 #6 by BaconLover
Arapahoe county sure seems to have it's fair share of crazies.....

Hope the injured student makes it through OK.

13 Dec 2013 14:33 #7 by pacamom

ExtremeModerate wrote: Arapahoe county sure seems to have it's fair share of crazies.....

Hope the injured student makes it through OK.

:Whistle

14 Dec 2013 19:44 #8 by Engineer2207
Reminds me of Columbine.

14 Dec 2013 20:48 #9 by ThePetParent
Teachers need to be mindful of young minds.
Some teachers ridicule students in front of their peers.
We do have some very fragile children and adults in our society and they are still developing and immature on how to handle their anger and frustrations.

I had a math teacher in a middle school tell all the kids in a particular class that they were all degenerates and stupid. I was so mad when my daughter told me of this I went to the school and raised all kinds of hell. We called in the teacher had a conference and I made known to the principle my distain for this teacher. You don't know what goes on in a school. Sometimes teachers have egos that don't belong in the classroom. I am not saying this was the case but clearly this boy was very upset and was not being heard.

I am not saying this is what happened, but, something provoked this kid and his immaturity and lack of being heard made it so that he was going to be heard.

No one was listening....they are listening now...

I am sorry for the students and their grief and their pain and especially for the young girl who was shot. My prayers are with her and her family. My prayers are with the students and the faculty. :heart:

WE have to be aware of frustrations, humiliations that our students face and embrace them so that we can try to understand them...

15 Dec 2013 06:47 #10 by Reverend Revelant

ThePetParent wrote: Teachers need to be mindful of young minds.
Some teachers ridicule students in front of their peers.
We do have some very fragile children and adults in our society and they are still developing and immature on how to handle their anger and frustrations.

I had a math teacher in a middle school tell all the kids in a particular class that they were all degenerates and stupid. I was so mad when my daughter told me of this I went to the school and raised all kinds of hell. We called in the teacher had a conference and I made known to the principle my distain for this teacher. You don't know what goes on in a school. Sometimes teachers have egos that don't belong in the classroom. I am not saying this was the case but clearly this boy was very upset and was not being heard.

I am not saying this is what happened, but, something provoked this kid and his immaturity and lack of being heard made it so that he was going to be heard.

No one was listening....they are listening now...

I am sorry for the students and their grief and their pain and especially for the young girl who was shot. My prayers are with her and her family. My prayers are with the students and the faculty. :heart:

WE have to be aware of frustrations, humiliations that our students face and embrace them so that we can try to understand them...

For what it's worth, I was sitting down to lunch yesterday with a student at the school who knows (knew) the shooter, and from what I was told "he was highly intelligent, motivated and couldn't take no for an answer."

That is probably only part of a deeper issue, things like this are not easily figured out from news reports and comments from third parties and it's best not to start placing blame on anyone unless all the facts are known.

Waiting for Armageddon since 33 AD

Time to create page: 0.166 seconds