Community Meeting Re: Rezoning Request for St Malo Catholic Center, Pine

06 Aug 2015 18:19 - 06 Aug 2015 18:20 #1 by ScienceChic
I just learned of this last night and today one of the area residents was kind enough to post this notice on our Facebook page:
Our Lady of the Pines is requesting a zoning change in order to build the St Malo Catholic Retreat Center on S Elk Creek Rd in Pine. The meeting is on August 20 at 6:00pm at 13034 S US Hwy 285.

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

06 Aug 2015 21:10 #2 by HappyCamper
Wonder how this will be with that intersection? They have not even gotten done with whatever they are going to so there.

08 Aug 2015 21:28 #3 by Ashley
I have been following the discussion on PC and pleased to see that the Archdiocese is being very responsive to questions from posters.

Family and neighbors have put conservation easements on their properties, using Mountain Area Land Trust or other, whereby they give up or limit rights to develop and in return receive a state tax deduction for a designated number of years. It costs the land owners a lot of money in legal fees so it is a huge commitment that they are making. Probably not done the same way that Deer Valley Assoc did theirs with Parkco being involved.

For example neighbor had 100 acres and agreed to keep only 4 homes on the property, the remainder being undeveloped in perpetuity. MALT in their agreement checks to see that it is done. The Estate sold it for $1 million a few years ago which is less than they could have gotten for it otherwise and the new owner must abide by the conditions of the conservation easement.

All of the above mentioned in that a Conservation Easement would be a secure avenue to see that the meadows and stream are never developed as the Archdiocese says. They could write something in the agreement for rezoning but upon sale more than likely it would not be binding on future buyers so C.E. makes good sense.

Or in the alternative consider like Jeffco and Parkco have done in the past for subdivision approval, an outlot it is usually called. Specific portion of property (in this case stream and meadow area) donated to the county for a specific use. The Equestrian Center and ball field in Burland immediately comes to mind. Only problem with the county, such as Parkco is when they decide they want to add a multitude of buildings to the ballfield and/or use for other uses.

C.E. is the most secure way of preserving.

SC is there any chance of getting the Archdiocese to discuss issues here? I don't know if there is enough interest. Thanks.

08 Aug 2015 22:01 - 18 Oct 2016 17:36 #4 by ScienceChic
Thank you for asking Ashley, I will try emailing them and asking - they joined the site 7 months ago (their Profile Page is here and you can send them a PM or email by clicking 'Messages' near the top of their Profile) and I'm sure if anyone has questions for them that they would be very likely to respond. I've seen them logged on periodically so I know they are checking. Here is their their Facebook Page .

Coincidentally, when they joined I looked them up as I was curious about them and discovered this story:
Mudslide buries plans to rebuild mountain retreat center
By Julie Filby
November 04, 2014

Nearly three years after a fire destroyed the lodge and guest wing at the Camp St. Malo Conference and Retreat Center in Allenspark, and one year after a devastating mudslide rearranged the landscape of the 160-acre property, management and the board of directors of St. Malo, with the assistance of the Archdiocese of Denver, is putting any possible plans to rebuild the property on indefinite hold.

“In light of the significant remediation costs to the property, the ongoing uncertainty regarding the stability of Mount Meeker, and the unknown impact of future water and sediment flows on the property, it has been determined that it is not prudent to rebuild on the St. Malo property,” according to David Holden, chief financial officer of the archdiocese and president of St. Malo’s corporate entity.

Originally established as a camp for boys in the 1930s, the venue was reopened as a retreat and conference center in 1987 following a three-year closure (see accompanying timeline for additional detail). After a fire destroyed the center Nov. 14, 2011, a conceptual master plan for redevelopment, including dormitories for a youth camp, was finalized in spring 2013. The organization was moving forward with plans, including discussions with Boulder County, when the mudslide began in September, after several days of torrential rain.

And some older stories:
St. Malo's future uncertain 20 years after papal visit
Catholic conference center outside Allenspark remains a shambles 21 months after devastating blaze
By John Aguilar, Denver Post
Posted: 08/13/2013

ALLENSPARK -- On Aug. 13, 1993, Pope John Paul II visited the St. Malo Retreat Center at the northern edge of Boulder County to take in the solitude of the Rocky Mountains and gain strength for his busy World Youth Day visit to Denver.

While at St. Malo, the pope went on a two-hour solo hike, blessed the beloved Chapel on the Rock and got some much-needed rest in Room 316 of the retreat center.

Several people visiting the little stone church in the shadow of Mount Meeker on Tuesday weren't aware that they were doing so 20 years to the day after Pope John Paul II made the very same sojourn.

Things are a lot quieter at St. Malo these days.

While the Chapel on the Rock gets a steady stream of visitors on a daily basis, the retreat center behind the church is but a shell of its former self. Devastated by a fire 21 months ago, the main part of the 60,000-square-foot complex has been razed and cleared, leaving behind only the living quarters and a solitary stone chimney from the former St. John's Lodge.

Video: Chapel on the Rock survives massive rock and mudslide
written by: Dave Delozier
Sep 20, 2013

After fire, director reflects on Camp St. Malo's important role
By Kevin J. Jones
Allenspark, Colo., Nov 17, 2011 / 08:51 pm (CNA).

The Camp St. Malo Retreat Center severely damaged in a Nov. 14 fire has had a “huge” place in the life of the Catholic Church in Colorado, its director says.

“It’s a wonderful place with a wonderful history,” center director José Ambrozic told CNA on Nov. 15.

The camp was built for young people during the 1930s and renovated into a conference center during the 1980s.

“Camp St. Malo has a huge history not only with Catholics in Colorado. There are many families from all over the country that send their kids to camp. Some of the alumni are still very engaged with the future of St. Malo from Illinois, Kansas, and Nebraska, just to name a few places.”

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill
Attachments:

08 Aug 2015 23:58 #5 by ScienceChic
Here is the link to the documents filed with Jeffco for re-zoning the property: jeffco.us/amandaItoI/PublicDocs/Communit...0S%20Us%20Hwy%20285/

Cover Letter:

File Attachment:

File Name: 15-115488P...letr.pdf
File Size:325 KB

Site Plans:

My biggest concern is the wildfire risk at this location. According to Chief McLaughlin, this is the highest risk area in the district for wildfire due to terrain and local micro-climate. Adding to that is the fact that it's only one way in and out for residents along Elk Creek. Can a secondary egress be built, and would extensive mitigation alleviate the high wildfire danger? Is the Archdiocese willing to invest additional money if these solutions would appease our Fire Chief's concerns?

File Attachment:

File Name: 15-115488P...ents.pdf
File Size:157 KB

I think this retreat center would be a great addition to our community, and would much prefer it to dozens of homes being placed here instead, but it is important that it's built with our local dangers held in consideration and every effort made to not increase the risk for existing residents or our first responders. I would be glad to see if the Archdiocese has added plans to address this issue.

Attachments:

09 Aug 2015 07:53 - 09 Aug 2015 09:31 #6 by ZHawke
Actually, SC, it's not the only way in and out for residents. Elk Creek Rd goes from 285 all the way down to Pine Grove. The potential problem is that the road gets a little dicey by the Glen Elk Association cabins and pretty much stays that way from there on down --- narrow and very twisting.

Personally, as one of those residents living off Elk Creek, I would welcome this kind of "development" on that property (edited to add: as opposed to what was being pushed by Ron Lewis previously).

09 Aug 2015 09:24 #7 by Ashley
Thank you SC. I will send them a PM. And thank you for the links to look at the documents that have been provided.

At this time I am opposed. But there is much to be learned and negotiated.

By rezoning w/o any conditions stipulated to date, this property could be resold with the new rezoning which could bring many more people and vehicles to the property in the future.

I am a Catholic and while I see this as possibly a good thing the potential for astronomical growth on the property by agreeing now and in the future presents too many problems. There previous place had an enormous amount of people and vehicles and continued to grow.

As it is they also plan a chapel and other which means there wouldn't be 30 vehicles on the weekend as an example provided by them on another website.

For the Archdiocese, what guarantees do you plan to make to ensure that the meadow and streams are not built on and kept as is in perpetuity?

What guarantees will you provide that no further building will be done beyond what is being asked for and ultimately agreed/negotiated?

What guarantees will you provide that it won't be sold to someone else in the future using it for comparable zoning who would/could build on the meadow/stream and increase the number of buildings and traffic?

What are you planning to do in the way of wildfire mitigation and preservation of the area for the wildlife?

I hope to attend your community meetings but would appreciate your response here to the above. Thank you.

And thank you for your willingness and openness to discuss the issues residents have.

09 Aug 2015 09:59 #8 by mountaindollar
I don't live in the area a few times a year we take friends to the Bucksnort is about all we travel the road.

I would have to agree that it would be better than dealing with Ron Lewis.

I think it is time for people to get out and meet their neighbors so that all the concerns are heard.

Hopefully both those for and against will get what they want out of it.

09 Aug 2015 10:42 - 09 Aug 2015 10:44 #9 by HappyCamper
Given what they plan to develop according to this letter I find it hard to believe that there would only be and extra 30 cars as was stated on the other website.

Maybe they will have documentation at the meeting with how they came to the figure of 30 cars.

Attachments:

09 Aug 2015 14:59 - 09 Aug 2015 15:20 #10 by Ashley
If the primary chapel can accommodate 160 people, main lodge for 60, 18 or 18 x 5 dormitory pods for youth/adults, 4 cabins x 2 people = 8, camping area for 60 people, plus an unknown number in 2 houses does not equate to 30 vehicles on the weekend.

I own a home in the area but rent it as I and a few others are sponsored by a family in Bailey who provides housing, vehicles and other necessities when we are not volunteering in another country. So my interests are both in Jeffco and Parkco. Park County will be impacted by all of this as well trying to get to Bailey after Staunton Park opens it camping portion and the Archdiocese offers its facilities. We are already majorly impacted by traffic from the city and suburban areas and can't get to Park County now without lengthy delays on the weekends.

I would like to receive an explanation by the Archdiocese as to how you came to these mathematical decisions and if you can stipulate to only 30 cars on the weekend for the duration of its existence.

Also will you be using your tax exempt status as a church and not paying any taxes to Jeffco?

Right now I see it all as a well conceived ploy to get what you want and then do as you choose. I am not buying any of it.

A response from the Archdiocese would be appreciated.

Time to create page: 0.246 seconds