Progress on Retreat Center at Shaffers Crossing

08 Oct 2015 10:50 #1 by Archdiocese
It has been nearly two months since the Community Meeting on Rezoning of the Krogh Ranch Property at Shaffers Crossing. I think it is time for a new topic that will help to keep you informed on our progress on the project from Rezoning through Site Planning, Permits, Construction and all the way to Grand Opening of the Proposed Retreat Center.

This week we had some minor asbestos abatement work done on the cabin and foresters looking at the property in preparation for a Forest Management Plan.

I am in the process of walking around the area and meeting the nearest neighbors. Also, I am available at DW's 285 Diner most Wednesday mornings from 8-10 AM. However, I do have a morning meeting in Denver on Oct 14th so I won't be there again until Oct 21st.

-Michael Six,
Director of Operations, St. Malo
The following user(s) said Thank You: ScienceChic

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

08 Oct 2015 15:35 #2 by ScienceChic
Thank you for the update, it is much appreciated! What's next on your plans?

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

31 Oct 2015 16:52 #3 by Archdiocese
The asbestos abatement work at the cabin has been completed and certified. The next project is the repair of the bridge over Elk Creek. We have consulted with the Army Corps of Engineers. They assure us that the work we plan to do falls under the category of maintenance and is covered by a National Permit. The work will involve replacing the current deck with a small cast concrete bridge. This will be a temporary bridge to allow us to get into the site for preliminary activities such as drilling test wells. Once the permanent entry road and bridge are constructed this temporary bridge and the driveway will be removed. I expect the bridge repair will begin this week.

-Michael Six

20 Nov 2015 14:44 #4 by Archdiocese
The repairs to the driveway and bridge should be finished today or tomorrow! Now we will be able to get the well drilling rig in to drill the test wells.

I will be out of town for Thanksgiving and packing up our house in PA so I will NOT be available for my Wednesday morning breakfast the next two weeks. I will be back at DWs on Dec. 9th from 8 am - 10 am. Please stop by for breakfast or at least a cup of coffee so I have a chance to meet you and discuss progress on the retreat center and any concerns or ideas you may have.

-Michael Six

05 Feb 2016 15:06 #5 by Archdiocese
As you might imagine, there is not much going on at Krogh Ranch this winter other than testing our wells.

I have been having my Wednesday breakfasts at DWs for quite a few weeks now just by my lonesome. It doesn't seem like anyone wants to talk about our plans for a retreat center.

Lent begins next Wednesday and I'm trying to eat a bit more sparingly, so I won't be stopping at DWs for breakfast until after Easter. March 30th will be the next planned breakfast. However, I'm more than happy to meet anyone to talk about the project. Just send me a note.
-Michael Six
Archdiocese of Denver
The following user(s) said Thank You: ScienceChic, Mountain-News-Events

05 Feb 2016 16:06 #6 by Mountain-News-Events
Thank you Mr. Six, we greatly appreciate the updates!

My Mountain Town Community Calendar - filter events by Category, date, or keyword to easily find events of interest. Add your community, church, or non-profit event to the calendar yourself! Click here to access the submission form. Businesses: please contact us for more information on adding your events! Questions? Email

Community News, Events, and Calendar Forum - Check here for the latest happenings in our community and add your own!

14 Oct 2016 17:51 #7 by Love My Country
I am opposed to the sheer SIZE of this project, among other things.

THE PLAN: The current plan submitted by the Archdiocese (Jeffco Permit 16-105311RZ) will allow two structures of 100,000 SF (Main lodge, 60 double occupancy rooms, 55 feet tall) and 60,000 SF (Youth lodge), a chapel to accommodate 160 people, gift shop, kitchen, 5 dormitory pods for 16 children and 2 adults each, 4 cabins for 1-2 persons each, camping for up to 80, 2 houses for staff, and 6 open fire pits. Total 'bodies' if filled to capacity would be about 485 people per day. The Archdiocese has expressed that the facilities will be open to religious groups, business meetings, weddings and other events - it is a commercial enterprise. Fire mitigation plan calls for thinning 50% of 2 out of 3 major tree stands. Occupancy density will require building of a water treatment facility on site. JEFFCO MUST REQUIRE THAT THE OFFICIAL DEVELOPMENT PLAN BE REVISED TO MAXIMUM STRUCTURE SIZES OF 40,000 (Main Lodge) AND 20,000 (Youth Lodge).

ISSUES: This project as proposed is OUTSIZED for the area; the Archdiocese is intent on expanding the facility; and the structures are the equivalent of the size of a Sam's Club or a Costco. Situated on a high hill, structures of this size and the accompanying access roads, parking, and lighting will be visible, create significant fire threats not defensible by the ECFD and volunteer firefighters, and are inconsistent with the scenic beauty and rural character of the community. The plan is not approved yet and the Jeffco Board of County Commissioners have the options at the BCC Meeting at 8:00 a.m. on October 25 to, 1.) deny the proposal outright, 2.) approve it without modification, or 3.) approve with modification. Community activism in the form of questions, comments, and recommendations, as well as visibility at the hearing, carry significant weight.

PLEASE GET INVOLVED:
Write Emails or letters to Jefferson County Commissioners and permit Case Manager. State your opposition, concerns, questions, or recommendations, AND include Case #16-105311RZ. Include all 4 email addresses:

Libby Szabo: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Casey Tighe: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Donald Rosier: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Justin Montgomery: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

PUBLIC HEARING @ 8:00 a.m. OCTOBER 25 AT JEFFCO ADMIN BUILDING
100 Jefferson County Pkwy.
Admin and Courts Facility
Golden, CO 80419

07 Dec 2016 13:35 #8 by Archdiocese
Yesterday all three Jeffco Commissioners voted to approve our Rezoning application. Along with their approval, the Commissioners were clear and even passionate in their comments that the Archdiocese, the neighbors, and the Fire Protection District need to continue the dialogue that has begun arguable a bit late in the process.

As the Director of Operations for the Archdiocese it is my job to spearhead that dialogue. For the last 16 months I have made myself available most every Wednesday morning at DWs 285 Diner from 8-10 AM. I have drunk gallons of coffee and eaten my way through the breakfast menu (I have an extra 20 pounds to prove it!) and I have talked with many interested neighbors over coffee and breakfast. I hope to meet more of you in the coming months and years.

Knowing that many of you are unable to get to DWs on a Wednesday morning, I have walked the neighborhood, attended HOA/POA meetings and had email and phone conversations with other neighbors. If you have questions, concerns or suggestions, please give me a call or send me a message. Recently I moved from Englewood to Golden so I am not that far away. I can meet with you up the hill or down the hill, at your home or at a neutral site. While I can't claim that we will agree on everything, I will hear you out and take you seriously. I ask that you do the same for me.

Sincerely,
Michael Six (Archdiocese)
(720) 417-0503

03 Jan 2017 12:07 #9 by Archdiocese
I will be attending an all-day workshop tomorrow, so I will NOT be at DWs for my weekly Community Breakfast. If you would like to meet, please plan to come on Jan. 11th (8-10 AM) or any other Wednesday morning.

Michael Six
(Archdiocese)
(720) 417-0503

02 May 2017 11:10 #10 by Archdiocese
Now that we are through with the Rezoning process we are moving forward with planning for all the building activities that go into getting the facility built and running. You may have seen survey crews in the meadow. One crew has been working on our secondary egress while a separate crew has been planning the main entry road that will get us from S. Elk Creek Rd. up to the building site.

The permitting process for the permanent entry road from S. Elk Creek Rd. is rather complicated. We will need to cross wetlands, flood plain, and a protected creek. It might take us the better part of a year to secure these permits. Until that time we will need to use the current bridge to get the excavating equipment across the creek and up to the higher ground near the tree line so we can build the higher portions of the road.

When will this road building take place? That's a good question. We hope to be able to start the road later this spring or summer. As with all building activities, I anticipate that it will take longer than I expect and cost more than I expect.

Michael Six (Archdiocese)

BTW, I will be at DWs 285 Diner this Wednesday (8-10AM), but not on May 10 or May 17. Stop by for a great breakfast or just a hot cup of coffee!

Time to create page: 0.169 seconds