× News, results, speculation, and bragging! Home of the popular Pick 5 Contest ! RATING: PG

My Mountain Town 2016 Pick 5 Contest!

07 Aug 2016 13:40 - 07 Aug 2016 14:20 #1 by ScienceChic
:football: :nfl: :td: Welcome to our Annual Pick 5 contest where each week we try to guess who we think will not necessarily win, but beat the spreads on the games as chosen by supposed experts. ;)

Here are the rules from last year :
1) Pick any 5 games each week. We play against the spread according to the following website. We use the "Opening Lines" which never change to keep it simple. www.covers.com/odds/football/nfl-spreads.aspx

2) You must make your choices before the games start. This doesn't mean before the first game of the week, but rather whatever games you pick (ie if picking the Thursday game, do it by Thursday night before kick-off, the Sunday games by 10:59am, 1:59pm, or 8:19pm, or whenever kick off is for each game, depending upon your time zone). The time is recorded on your post when submitted so don't wait too long. Once you post a pick, you are locked into that pick. No changes. Doesn't matter if your whole team comes down with the flu and they don't play, or the starting quarterback gets a hangnail.

3) If you forget to pick until after the games have started, you are out of luck. No pick = a loss so if you don't pick at all that will be 5 losses you receive for the week.

4) Post all picks on this thread. This is the official sheet. Please feel free to quote other participant's picks that you see in order to officially record them (editing to change picks is not allowed so this confirms the choices).

5) Each week we will record a score for each contestant, keeping track of correct/wins, incorrect/losses, and ties. Ties will not matter except in the case of a tie-breaker needed between 2 contestants after the final pick (which is the Superbowl). In other words, only correct picks matter.

For those new to picking games, here's an example.
The line is Cincinnati +3 @ Denver. If you pick Cincinnati, you are saying you think they will either win outright, or will lose but by less than 3 points. Basically, you add 3 points to Cincinnati's actual game score, then compare that to the final actual game score of the Broncos. So if the game ended with Cincinnati 17, Denver 21, you add 3 to the Cinti score, which gives you 20, but you lose because that doesn't beat the Broncos score of 21. If, however, the game ended with Cinti 19, Denver 20, then you'd win. If it ended Cincinnati 17, Denver 20, then you'd have a Tie.

If you see Pickum as the spread, it means that the game is essentially at even 50/50 odds - just pick who you think will win, doesn't matter what the final score is.

Make sense? Feel free to PM us or post on this thread with questions. Prizes: $250 to the My Mountain Town advertiser(s) of your choice, paid in gift certificates.

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

05 Sep 2016 14:35 #2 by ScienceChic

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: The Viking

05 Sep 2016 14:43 #3 by HappyCamper
Can't wait I sucked last year

05 Sep 2016 15:36 #4 by RenegadeCJ
Week 1 Opening Spreads
www.covers.com/odds/football/nfl-spreads.aspx

Thursday, Sept 8
Carolina @ Denver PICKUM

Sunday, Sept 11
Cincinnati @ NY Jets +1
Cleveland @ Philly -7
Oakland @ New Orleans -1
Minnesota @ Tennessee +3
Tampa Bay @ Atlanta -3
Buffalo @ Baltimore -2.5
Chicago @ Houston -5.5
San Diego @ KC -7
Green Bay @ Jacksonville +4
Miami @ Seattle -7.5
Detroit @ Indy -5.5
NY Giants @ Dallas -3.5
New England @ Arizona PICKUM

Sunday, Sept 12
Pittsburgh @ Washington +3
LA Rams @ San Francisco +2

Too bad future generations aren't here to see all the great things we are spending their $$ on!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: ScienceChic

06 Sep 2016 07:48 #5 by FredHayek
:washwindow:

HappyCamper wrote: Can't wait I sucked last year

Yes, have to redeem myself after my poor showing last year. :nfl: Carolina?

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

06 Sep 2016 12:53 #6 by RenegadeCJ
Fred-is that a pick or a statement! :biggrin: :whistle:

Too bad future generations aren't here to see all the great things we are spending their $$ on!!

07 Sep 2016 14:32 #7 by HappyCamper
Here are my picks for week 1

Cincinnati
Oakland
Kansas City
Green Bay
Arizona

07 Sep 2016 14:46 #8 by quadman
I hate picking week 1 but here they are.

New Orleans
Atlanta
Green Bay
Arizona
Pittsburgh

07 Sep 2016 18:03 #9 by Ashley
Wow! Made it back into the country in time.

Week 1 Picks
Carolina
Green Bay
Arizona
Pittsburgh
Cincinnati

08 Sep 2016 07:50 #10 by FredHayek
:nfl: :drunkensere :football: :denbroncosl :td: Week 1 is always scary picking but here they are:
1) Arizona
2) KC
3) Philly
4) Houston
5) Seattle

:helpguide:

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

Time to create page: 0.568 seconds