are numbers mounting? OR nothing to see here

30 Jan 2020 16:18 - 30 Jan 2020 16:44 #21 by homeagain
SC.....beat me to the post....NOW watch what happens....HOW is the king going to 24/7 be
accountable for our health net?.......what a joke.....''WE GOT THIS''........

www.bbc.com/news/world-51318246

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

31 Jan 2020 11:39 #22 by FredHayek
Listening to a radio show today and the host recommended buying Amazon stock because people will hole up to avoid contact with possible carriers. Maybe, but would they trust packages coming in from who knows where? Maybe they will just buy books on Kindle?

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

01 Feb 2020 17:45 #23 by homeagain

homeagain wrote:

GLOBAL economy is greatly effected....the stats are alarming when global companies are shutting down operations till this is contained......WATCH WHAT HAPPENS....$$$$ revenue
lost for an UNKNOWN period of time.

NOW 8 infected in US....from all over the map.

01 Feb 2020 18:27 #24 by Blazer Bob

homeagain wrote:

homeagain wrote:

GLOBAL economy is greatly effected....the stats are alarming when global companies are shutting down operations till this is contained......WATCH WHAT HAPPENS....$$$$ revenue
lost for an UNKNOWN period of time.

NOW 8 infected in US....from all over the map.

WAIT. WHAT? You forgot to tell us how it is all Trump's fault. That is very disappointing.

02 Feb 2020 11:27 #25 by FredHayek
Fort Carson has been set up to receive up to 250 Coronavirus patients. Three other bases can receive 750 more.
South Pacific islands have refused to accept cruise ships because they don't want to be infected by the virus.
We could see major damage to the global economy from this.

02 Feb 2020 11:57 #26 by homeagain

FredHayek wrote: Fort Carson has been set up to receive up to 250 Coronavirus patients. Three other bases can receive 750 more.
South Pacific islands have refused to accept cruise ships because they don't want to be infected by the virus.

[/b]

www.reuters.com/article/us-china-health-...-china-idUSKBN1ZU1LG

Well, for one of the few times, we AGREE....the link is just an initial assessment....NOT looking
good...as we progress thru this problem..

03 Feb 2020 12:06 - 03 Feb 2020 13:08 #27 by homeagain

homeagain wrote:

FredHayek wrote: Fort Carson has been set up to receive up to 250 Coronavirus patients. Three other bases can receive 750 more.

[/b]

Well, for one of the few times, we AGREE....the link is just an initial assessment....NOT looking
good...as we progress thru this problem..

So, I went back in to review this list in the link.....COMPLETE link is gone...there were about
3 to 4 dozen companies,enterprises listed...the link looks empty now....not sure why link
is not reflecting initial information.....does NOT matter the latest is....WHO indicates EVERYONE is woefully unprepared for this pandemic...their words not mine.

03 Feb 2020 13:23 #28 by FredHayek
NPR had their pandemic experts in last week to whine about the lack of funding for these outbreaks. I think it is only natural for governments to pull funding from pandemic programs to more immediate issues. And then when a new crisis pops up, they don't have the resources. But it does seem like Coronavirus is getting taken care of quickly here in the US. Hopefully the funding was quickly put into detection and prevention programs. And while I whine about how much the military spends, when you have weather and disease problems, it is one of the fastest acting bodies because it does have the assets and infrastructure to respond.

06 Feb 2020 07:41 #29 by Pony Soldier
I know nothing about this source, but the trackers it cites are pretty well known.

www.taiwannews.com.tw/en/news/3871594

As early as Jan. 26, netizens were reporting that Tencent, on its webpage titled "Epidemic Situation Tracker" was briefly showing data on the novel coronavirus (2019nCoV) in China that was much higher than official estimates, before suddenly switching to lower numbers. Taiwanese netizen Hiroki Lo that day reported that Tencent and NetEase were both posting "unmodified statistics," before switching to official numbers in short order.

On late Saturday evening (Feb. 1), the Tencent webpage showed confirmed cases of the Wuhan virus in China as standing at 154,023, 10 times the official figure at the time. It listed the number of suspected cases as 79,808, four times the official figure.

The number of cured cases was only 269, well below the official number that day of 300. Most ominously, the death toll listed was 24,589, vastly higher than the 300 officially listed that day.

06 Feb 2020 08:59 #30 by FredHayek
This story is very frustrating because I don't trust so many of the numbers China is providing. I am seeing some guerilla reports that claim incinerators are burning hundreds of bodies a day. If true, that would make it sound like the disease is much more dangerous than we are led to believe. Another unverified report says it seems to go after the vulnerable but children seem to be fighting it better than the aged.
One of my old high school classmates has been a reporter in Asia for decades, and lives in Hong Kong for over ten years. He hasn't responded to my requests for his opinion on Coronavirus, but he has been laying low ever since the Hong Kong protests started. I do see the protestors are wanting to wall off the city from Chinese fleeing Wuhan.

Time to create page: 0.560 seconds