MIND NUMBING numbers

20 Mar 2020 13:20 #1 by homeagain
California ordered its 40 million residents to stay at home except for essential activities beginning Thursday night in the largest such lockdown in the U.S., as the nation’s total coronavirus cases rose to more than 14,000 and an intensifying outbreak in Europe pushed State Department officials to advise citizens not to travel abroad.

In a letter to President Trump, California Gov. Gavin Newsom said he estimated 56% of the state’s population, or 25.5 million people, would be infected over an eight-week period.

PER WSJ TODAY

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

20 Mar 2020 18:46 #2 by Pony Soldier
Replied by Pony Soldier on topic MIND NUMBING numbers
I think those numbers are a bit on the high side, but who am I? I also think this virus has been around since October or November and is already much more widespread than previously thought. Once testing is available for both the virus and the antibodies, we will know for sure. We just ruined our economy over a friggin cold....

20 Mar 2020 19:20 #3 by ramage
Replied by ramage on topic MIND NUMBING numbers
Pony Soldier,
I agree with you. What concerns me that the bureaucrats will pat themselves on the back for preventing a problem that never was. The silver lining Trump has revamped the bureaucracy and shown what the U.S. can do. Perhaps it was necessary to disrupt the economy to achieve this. It may well lead to a time where main street will be dominant over wall street(globalists).
It won't be long before the young rebel against restrictions that they feel are onerous. ( Wait until Polis closes the liquor stores and marijuana dispensaries). Are people going to die, yes. Did people die from the flu (H1N1 variant) to the extent that the CDC says that 60,000 died of the flu and its complications in the last flu season.
Sorry, I am in that high risk group, I understand that and realize that is a consequence of getting old. Does that mean that I want to die, hell no!. But I realize that destroying the economy is not worth decreasing my probability of dying from 3% to 0.1% . I want to leave something for my grandchildren.

21 Mar 2020 06:06 #4 by homeagain
Replied by homeagain on topic MIND NUMBING numbers

ramage wrote: Pony Soldier,
I agree with you. What concerns me that the bureaucrats will pat themselves on the back for preventing a problem that never was. The silver lining Trump has revamped the bureaucracy and shown what the U.S. can do. Perhaps it was necessary to disrupt the economy to achieve this. It may well lead to a time where main street will be dominant over wall street(globalists).
It won't be long before the young rebel against restrictions that they feel are onerous. ( Wait until Polis closes the liquor stores and marijuana dispensaries). Are people going to die, yes. Did people die from the flu (H1N1 variant) to the extent that the CDC says that 60,000 died of the flu and its complications in the last flu season.
Sorry, I am in that high risk group, I understand that and realize that is a consequence of getting old. Does that mean that I want to die, hell no!. But I realize that destroying the economy is not worth decreasing my probability of dying from 3% to 0.1% . I want to leave something for my grandchildren.

bolded....could that be construed as part of the FOURTH TURNING and the NECESSARY adjustments to provide a NEW paradigm?

21 Mar 2020 07:11 #5 by Pony Soldier
Damage, I am also in the high risk group having had a slew of pulmonary embolisms this year. I made my peace with my own mortality a long time ago. Funny thing is that we all get issued that one way ticket at birth. All the jockeying for things and position while we’re here amounts the exactly the same end result. Worm food...

21 Mar 2020 07:37 #6 by Pony Soldier

homeagain wrote:
bolded....could that be construed as part of the FOURTH TURNING and the NECESSARY adjustments to provide a NEW paradigm?

The biggest paradigm shift...
Attachments:

21 Mar 2020 07:53 #7 by FredHayek
Replied by FredHayek on topic MIND NUMBING numbers
Essential activities do not include construction. So the guys building new housing and a new stadium have to stay home. I hope infrastructure repair is an essential activity.

In Colorado, Polis shut down salons, barber shops, and tattoo joints, but left dispensaries and liquor stores open. Plus you can now order booze with your takeout. I think the governor is smart to realize that people need their vices.

But I already know a couple of women who are seeking ways to still get in their monthly manicures. Inviting the woman to their home might be a possible work around the ban.

Fourth turning? It will be interesting to see how many of these changes stay with us. No more handshakes? No more close talkers?

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

21 Mar 2020 07:54 #8 by homeagain
FINALLY. now if we could add TEACHERS to that list....it might be almost complete

21 Mar 2020 08:06 #9 by Pony Soldier
Uh oh... it might actually be the end. I agree with you HA!

21 Mar 2020 09:48 #10 by homeagain

Pony Soldier wrote: Uh oh... it might actually be the end. I agree with you HA!

:highfive:

Time to create page: 0.181 seconds