Afghanistan - Interesting Perspective.

15 Feb 2019 19:38 - 15 Feb 2019 19:41 #1 by ramage
The Afghan war is still in progress close to 20 years in. For perspective, Napoleon Bonaparte seized control of France, crowned himself emperor, defeated four European coalitions against him, invaded Russia, lost, was defeated and exiled, returned, and was defeated and exiled a second time, all in less time than the United States has spent trying to turn Afghanistan into a stable country.

Tucker Carlson, The American Conservative 2/15/2019

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

16 Feb 2019 07:07 #2 by Pony Soldier
This year, there will be soldiers fighting in Afghanistan that were not born on September 11th, 2001.

16 Feb 2019 07:22 #3 by homeagain

ramage wrote: The Afghan war is still in progress close to 20 years in. For perspective, Napoleon Bonaparte seized control of France, crowned himself emperor, defeated four European coalitions against him, invaded Russia, lost, was defeated and exiled, returned, and was defeated and exiled a second time, all in less time than the United States has spent trying to turn Afghanistan into a stable country.

Tucker Carlson, The American Conservative 2/15/2019

certainly a catastrophic mis calculation.....that TRIBES would change their M.O...….to TM, your
stark statement almost made me cry.....reflecting upon the reality is heart wrenching.

16 Feb 2019 10:38 #4 by FredHayek
I agree Afghanistan has been a long and expensive battle, but casualties wise, the US has done a much better job than other nations who tried to occupy this mountain nation. Both the British and the Russians took horrible casualties trying to tame this group of tribes. I do think it is time to bid adieu. Numerous strategies have been tried and while somewhat successful the costs are just too outrageous. About one million dollars per soldier deployed. Most of the other nations in the coalition have already gone home. Time to join them.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

16 Feb 2019 10:58 #5 by Rick
I have two business partners who are both Afghani Muslims who have been here since they were kids but lots of family still there. They tell me the people of Afghanistan are much better off today than they were before the war and when I ask them if they want the US to pull out completely, they say no. There's really no way to know what Afghanistan would be like today or what the state of terrorism would be in that region if we never went there, but I doubt it would be good. That said, some countries are just not fixable when they are controlled by religious nuts and dictators. That country isn't worth losing one more American life so I think we should have pulled out already and left the remaining problems for the countries who are more directly effected.

It was always the women, and above all the young ones, who were the most bigoted adherents of the Party, the swallowers of slogans, the amateur spies and nosers−out of unorthodoxy

George Orwell

16 Feb 2019 12:23 #6 by Pony Soldier
Of course they’re better off and don’t want us to leave. We bring pallets of cash with us to every country we invade. It’s timr to let them run their own country.

16 Feb 2019 16:10 #7 by ramage
Both Senators Gardner and Bennet voted Yea on S.Amdt. 65 to S. 1 (Strengthening America's Security in the Middle East Act of 2019). This supports keeping troops in BOTH Syria and Afghanistan.
This is a small window through which can be seen what President Trump is fighting against.
He wants the troops out, they want the troops to stay. Rally against President Trump for whatever other reason you have, but please let me know if you are against his removing the troops from Syria and Afghanistan.

16 Feb 2019 20:26 #8 by Blazer Bob
If it was not tragic it would be funny that Obama promised to get us out 10 years ago.

18 Feb 2019 10:45 #9 by FredHayek
The US is 22 trillion dollars in debt, you would think bringing the troops home makes financial sense. It is true that in Syria we are mopping up the last toehold of ISIS, but surely it is time to go home.
The defense budget is astounding. I was talking with a retired Canadian Air Force member a few years ago and he talked about a huge debate in their parliament about buying a new air tanker from Boeing. At the same time he was doing some training at an American airbase. That new tanker? The American Air Force had ten of them sitting mothballed at the facility.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

Time to create page: 0.143 seconds