The News from Fox... Is it Reliable?

17 Apr 2024 07:29 #1 by Rick
I get my news from a lot of places, including Fox. For many years on this and other boards the left learners have consistently claimed that their sources are correct and Fox is just lies, or "Faux News".

I thought it would be fun to put that theory to the test, and see who is really producing fake news and who is ignoring news all together for political reasons. I'll start with a story about our own capital city of Denver. Is this story false or just not news worthy? For some reason, I can't seem to find the story from any of the national leftist sources. I'd be much more interested in the left's opinion so maybe someone on this board can tell me if the story is false or that it's just not worth talking about.

Blue city mayor defunds police force by more than $8 million to aid migrants

A Democrat-controlled city announced $45 million in funding for programs to help deal with the skyrocketing number of migrant arrivals it is facing, resulting in over $8 million in budget cuts for the police department.

www.foxnews.com/politics/blue-city-mayor...million-aid-migrants

It was always the women, and above all the young ones, who were the most bigoted adherents of the Party, the swallowers of slogans, the amateur spies and nosers−out of unorthodoxy

George Orwell

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

17 Apr 2024 10:15 #2 by koobookie
Is this source, Newsweek, "lefty" enough for you? Simple google search, Rick.

www.newsweek.com/denver-cut-funds-police...grant-influx-1889976

Johnston spokesperson Jordan Fuja told Newsweek via email on Friday that the "adjustment to the Denver Police Department's budget was carefully crafted with safety leaders and Mayor Johnston to ensure there would be no impact to the department's public services."

"To say that Denver is 'defunding the police' is a willful mischaracterization of the budget adjustments, which actually just delays the purchase of new furniture and shifts the funding source for one cadet class," Fuja said.

"In fact, Mayor Johnston has invested millions to add 167 new police recruits to our force in 2024, and will continue to invest in public safety to ensure every Denverite is safe in their city," she added.

Or is "Faux News" mischaracterizing the situation? Oh, the horror. Say it ain't so! FOX would never lie to us, would it? I mean, it's the main source of information for you boys on this site, so it must be trustworthy, right? (Note for you conservaboys - that was sarcasm)

17 Apr 2024 10:42 #3 by FredHayek
This is called "spin"

If the boss told you new promised staff to assist you won’t be available until 2025 instead of 2024, it would not technically be "defunding" but your current team still has to cover the original neighborhoods and with the usual turnover rate of 10% in law enforcement, you could easily say we only have 90% of the officers to cover the same area.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

17 Apr 2024 10:49 #4 by koobookie
So, mischaracterization for the shock value of being able to say that a Democrat is defunding the police and giving money to homeless.

Got it. Not unethical at all. Just journalism at its finest. (sarcasm again, boys.)

17 Apr 2024 11:08 #5 by FredHayek
I am going to believe the words of Denver's new mayor! Politicians never lie, right?
Or try to put a rosy tint on bad news. Don't trust conservative press but do trust your government.

18 Apr 2024 08:14 #6 by Rick
Which part of the story is a lie? Prove it.

My point, K, is that there are indeed blue cities all over this country that are being harmed by SLO Joe’s illegal border surge. Funds are being taken from police departments and other government services. These stories are not in your newsfeed, NPR, CNN, Reuters, Ap, MSNBC, and every other leftist rag because it isn’t a “mischaracterization”, it’s a fact.

Newsweek is just giving Johnson cover, that’s the only reason they even touched the story. One day you’ll have to admit I’m right because the damage to this country will be impossible to hide.

It was always the women, and above all the young ones, who were the most bigoted adherents of the Party, the swallowers of slogans, the amateur spies and nosers−out of unorthodoxy

George Orwell

18 Apr 2024 08:43 #7 by koobookie
So, you move the goalposts.

Newsweek reported on the situation. It is definitely not one of your right wing rags.

Oh, look, here's some more web sites that posted about the similar issue.

www.9news.com/article/news/local/2024-se...28-9d4d-f8a3c2966719

www.npr.org/2024/02/16/1231931400/as-den...her-services-are-cut

www.cnn.com/2024/01/31/us/denver-migrants-crisis/index.html

www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/denver-to-cut-...t-crisis/ss-BB1lEv5P

Simple google search, Rick.

18 Apr 2024 10:21 #8 by ramage
Budget cuts = Defunding

From you reference:
Public safety departments in Denver will not be immune to the cuts. The Denver Fire Department will reduce its budget by nearly $2.5 million. That is about 0.8% of its yearly operating budget. About half of those reductions come from not filling vacant positions. The Denver Police Department will cut nearly $8.4 million, or about 1.9% of its budget. About $5.3 million of that money comes from not filling open positions.

www.9news.com/article/news/local/2024-se...28-9d4d-f8a3c2966719

A $5.3 million cut equates to 53 less police officers (using a generous estimate of $100,000 as a cost per officer).

18 Apr 2024 10:48 #9 by FredHayek
Like Abraham Lincoln said, you can fool some of the people all of the time.

Gobble up that Newspeak. War is peace. We have always been at war with Oceania!

Time to create page: 0.160 seconds