Karma Schmarma LOL

28 Aug 2014 10:42 #11 by BuyersAgent
Replied by BuyersAgent on topic Karma Schmarma LOL

jf1acai wrote: I cannot recall anything ever posted by pacamom that justified negative karma.

Me neither.

Kathy G. Hansen
Broker/Owner
COLORADO HIGHLIGHTS REALTY
303-761-4046
The following user(s) said Thank You: pacamom

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

29 Aug 2014 07:43 #12 by Nobody that matters
Here's what we need to do - Bug SC until she posts up who was using the Karma points. There was nothing in the announcement that promised anonymity. Post up who gave what karma to who. It'll give us fodder for multiple threads and create a spike in posting like this board has never seen.

Then Pacamom will know who to ask "Why?"

Now, I realize that's probably not going to happen (even though it is a GREAT idea), but can you imagine the sweat that just broke out on whoever was working so hard to give negative karma? :P

"Whatever you are, be a good one." ~ Abraham Lincoln

29 Aug 2014 07:49 #13 by jf1acai
Replied by jf1acai on topic Karma Schmarma LOL
ROFL!

Experience enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again - Jeanne Pincha-Tulley

Comprehensive is Latin for there is lots of bad stuff in it - Trey Gowdy

29 Aug 2014 07:53 #14 by Rick
Replied by Rick on topic Karma Schmarma LOL

Nobody that matters wrote: Here's what we need to do - Bug SC until she posts up who was using the Karma points. There was nothing in the announcement that promised anonymity. Post up who gave what karma to who. It'll give us fodder for multiple threads and create a spike in posting like this board has never seen.

Then Pacamom will know who to ask "Why?"

Now, I realize that's probably not going to happen (even though it is a GREAT idea), but can you imagine the sweat that just broke out on whoever was working so hard to give negative karma? :P

I'd like to see that too but I'd rather the karma thing was set up like I've seen on another site... whoever gets karma gets to see who gave it and the giver can also state a reason for it.

It was always the women, and above all the young ones, who were the most bigoted adherents of the Party, the swallowers of slogans, the amateur spies and nosers−out of unorthodoxy

George Orwell

29 Aug 2014 07:59 #15 by pacamom
Replied by pacamom on topic Karma Schmarma LOL
I'm quite sensitive. Not sure that I could handle knowing who it was. It was devastating just to see my Karma dropping everyday.

29 Aug 2014 08:34 - 01 Oct 2014 20:57 #16 by Mtn Gramma
Replied by Mtn Gramma on topic Karma Schmarma LOL

pacamom wrote: I'm quite sensitive. Not sure that I could handle knowing who it was. It was devastating just to see my Karma dropping everyday.

Agreed. And while I THINK I know who it was, it's just not worth being here with the feeling that someone with malice aforethought religiously smacked me. The last I looked it was -9 and for the life of me I can't think of why someone would do that. As I had said before, it's a chickensh** way to deal with differences. Did I give Karma? Yes, a couple of times. Did I systematically set out to hurt an individual? No. Is it worth coming to this site, just to be beat up? Again, no. So to whomever got their rocks off deliberately hurting paca or me, well done. You won. May Karma deal with you.

29 Aug 2014 08:34 - 29 Aug 2014 08:48 #17 by Nobody that matters

pacamom wrote: I'm quite sensitive. Not sure that I could handle knowing who it was. It was devastating just to see my Karma dropping everyday.

I think it's safe to say that you give too much control of your thoughts to what's posted on an anonymous internet forums. It's more of a statement regarding the poster than the subject. Think about it - the true test of a man's character is what he does while he thinks nobody is watching.

Someone has obviously failed that test.

Come on SC, post up the Karma names and numbers so we can help the poor lost soul rectify their obvious character flaws!

It's like a public service announcement, only far more entertaining!

29 Aug 2014 08:38 #18 by Nobody that matters
I recall one thread where my obviously superior driving skills were questioned...

That would have hurt my feelings if I had any. :biggrin:

29 Aug 2014 08:48 #19 by ScienceChic
Replied by ScienceChic on topic Karma Schmarma LOL
NTM, if I could at this moment, I absolutely would show who was giving what karma to whom. I absolutely, 100% believe in transparency and honesty, and people being held accountable for their actions, especially if they aren't acting with integrity - I don't hold anyone to any standard of behavior that I don't also hold myself to, and I have really damn high standards for myself, despite what you may hear from others. Plus, as I was explaining to someone else who emailed me about this issue, I was noticing (my own rough observations, not hard numbers from the "back end") that overall we were all getting more negative than positive karma and sadly, I think a lot of people either don't think to reward good behavior because we're trained to criticize and complain online, not boost up and praise, or they don't think to do it unless they are publicly acknowledged for giving bonus points (notice all the Thank You's - those are written right on the post who gave it, so everyone sees what a good person you are for saying something nice, whereas the karma was anonymous - no "reward" for being nice).

For the time being, karma is on hold until I can get an extended statistics package installed that will show who gave what to whom, or we get more people actively participating on the forums who don't know each other from years together online and have pre-conceived biases. And no, I don't think it's because of the karma that activity is slower right now - it's summer, we've Thank Goddess had no fires, and we're still having issues with the tight security settings blocking posts/members.

Speaking of the latter, when you are about to hit Submit, please copy your post just in case. If you get the "Forbidden" error message when you try to post it, please hit the Back button on your browser and don't try to post it again (trying to do so 5 times within a minute will get your IP address blocked as a hacker and you won't be able to see the forums anymore) instead please email the post to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. so we can see what text or link tripped the security sensors and get an exception written for it. If you don't copy the post before you hit Submit, you will lose the post and we won't be able to get a copy of what you tried to Submit in order to analyze it and fix the block.

I'm sorry for the extra work, trust me this is frustrating for me too (I've been trying to post a reply to Arlen in the Evolution thread for 4 days now - I think the software is anti-science LOL), but it will make our forums more secure and easy to use once we work out the kinks. Our site hit a record with my developer this past week - over 250 hacker attacks in a single day, and not from an automated system - those were individual attacks.

Thanks everyone! You da best!

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill
The following user(s) said Thank You: homeagain

29 Aug 2014 09:01 #20 by Nobody that matters
Well poop. That means we don't get to put a head on a pike next to the drawbridge to warn others not to be goobers in here. I didn't give out much karma because it was anonymous. When I was tempted to hit the negative karma, I usually just hit the quote button instead so I could make sure they knew who I was and why I thought their message showed an inappropriate amount of gooberosity.

Can I at least give out sarcastic "thank yous" to posts I think are dumb? Do we get to make a comment on them so I could say things like "Thanks for reinforcing the majority opinion that the internet is mostly populated by brain dead mouth breathers"?

The following user(s) said Thank You: ScienceChic

Time to create page: 0.174 seconds