Do you need a lot of disk storage? Try unRAID

17 May 2010 22:46 #1 by conifermtman
I recently just built one of these for storing all my photos and other media. Started with 2 TB of storage and will be able to expand to 22 TB and larger with this system over time.

http://www.lime-technology.com/

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

17 May 2010 23:19 #2 by The Viking

conifermtman wrote: I recently just built one of these for storing all my photos and other media. Started with 2 TB of storage and will be able to expand to 22 TB and larger with this system over time.

Very interesting. Might have to look into that. Photos eat up the most memory on my computer.

18 May 2010 07:15 #3 by Robynabc

conifermtman wrote: I recently just built one of these for storing all my photos and other media. Started with 2 TB of storage and will be able to expand to 22 TB and larger with this system over time.

How could you possibly use all that space??

"I’m selfish, impatient, and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I’m out of control, and at times hard to handle.
But if you can’t handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don’t deserve me at my best."
. Marilyn Monroe

18 May 2010 07:30 #4 by conifermtman

Robynabc wrote:

How could you possibly use all that space??

My digital cameras generate files that are between 20 and 30 MB a piece, so I needed a solution that would grow with me. Also photos that are edited in Photoshop can easily grow to 100 to 300 MB a piece.

18 May 2010 07:37 #5 by Robynabc
Can I ask how much something like that would run?

"I’m selfish, impatient, and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I’m out of control, and at times hard to handle.
But if you can’t handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don’t deserve me at my best."
. Marilyn Monroe

18 May 2010 14:36 #6 by conifermtman

Robynabc wrote: Can I ask how much something like that would run?

Biostar Motherboard with 6 core AMD CPU and 2GB - $150
Coolermaster Case - $60
Corsair 400watt Power Supply - $40
2 -2TB drives - $240 I would buy drives from two different manufactures so you have two different failure rates.
2 GB Lexar USB Flash drive - $15
Total $505

18 May 2010 19:23 #7 by Robynabc
Not as bad as I thought! that is how much an 500G drive was about 4-5 years ago.

. Marilyn Monroe

18 May 2010 21:54 #8 by conifermtman

Robynabc wrote: Not as bad as I thought! that is how much an 500G drive was about 4-5 years ago.

When you compare it to a Drobo it is inexpensive

A four disk Drobo runs $349 before disks
A five disk Drobo runs $759 before disks
An eight disk Drobo runs $1,495 before disks

My unRaid before disks only cost $265 and will support up to 6 drives before I need to add aditional SATA adapters.

The Drobo will have better write times because it is basically RAID 5. However if you have a three or larger array and two disks go bad you have lost all of your data. In unRAID if two disks go bad you still can read the data on the third disk. If you have a 12 disk RAID 5 system and two disks go bad, you have lost all of your data, in unRAID you would still have 9 to 10 disks you can still read.

Now if you are not technically inclined the Drobo is way better choice, just not as cheap or flexible.

19 May 2010 06:37 #9 by Robynabc
So, what is it expandable to? How many slots?

. Marilyn Monroe

19 May 2010 06:41 #10 by conifermtman

Robynabc wrote: So, what is it expandable to? How many slots?

The case I used will hold up to 12 drives, so 11 for data and one for parity. There are people that have built 20+ drive unRAID boxes.

Time to create page: 0.163 seconds