× News, results, speculation, and bragging! Home of the popular Pick 5 Contest ! RATING: PG

Possible Child Abuse Adrian Peterson

15 Sep 2014 20:05 #11 by Blazer Bob
You post presupposes that an arrest is based on a behavior. Anyone can alledge anything. It seems more likely when you have a 7 figure celebrity income.

Can't you imagine an ambitious DA looking for a name running with a bucket full of nothing. Remember the Duke Lacrosse travesty?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

16 Sep 2014 06:23 - 16 Sep 2014 06:33 #12 by PrintSmith
You don't think the Duke Lacrosse team was behaving in a manner that portrayed them in a bad light? If not, then perhaps you should refresh your memory as to why the young woman and the boys on the team were even in the same proximity.

Edited to add - As recently demonstrated, the purpose of the league suspension is to protect the brand of the league or the team. That's the reason for the drug policy as well. Do you think an owner cares if a player uses HGH, steroids or smokes some pot at home? Of course not, what the owners, and let's be honest here, the politicians because all professional sports leagues enjoy anti-trust exemptions, care about is public perception of their league and the individual teams. That is what the suspensions are for - to protect the league and team images and thus the investment, and value, of both.

17 Sep 2014 08:29 #13 by FredHayek
Better last than never? The Vikings have suspended Adrian Peterson.
Might have to change one of my Pick 5 choices.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

17 Sep 2014 15:11 #14 by ScienceChic
There will be no changing any Pick 5 choices! :silly: You'll just have to hope for the best, pitfalls of picking early in the week...

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

17 Sep 2014 15:56 #15 by Blazer Bob

PrintSmith wrote: You don't think the Duke Lacrosse team was behaving in a manner that portrayed them in a bad light? If not, then perhaps you should refresh your memory as to why the young woman and the boys on the team were even in the same proximity.

Edited to add - As recently demonstrated, the purpose of the league suspension is to protect the brand of the league or the team. That's the reason for the drug policy as well. Do you think an owner cares if a player uses HGH, steroids or smokes some pot at home? Of course not, what the owners, and let's be honest here, the politicians because all professional sports leagues enjoy anti-trust exemptions, care about is public perception of their league and the individual teams. That is what the suspensions are for - to protect the league and team images and thus the investment, and value, of both.

No, I am not going to refresh my memory.It is not that important. As I recall they had a party and hired a stripper.

there was an allegation of rape. Because the left is frantic to preserve the "America is racist" meme the players were crucified.

18 Sep 2014 14:38 #16 by PrintSmith
What do you suppose the odd are that the stripper they hired would have thought of alleging rape against members of the team had they not hired her to take her clothes off? I'm pretty certain we can limit it to two options, slim and none, with the latter being far more likely.

18 Sep 2014 15:59 #17 by Blazer Bob

PrintSmith wrote: What do you suppose the odd are that the stripper they hired would have thought of alleging rape against members of the team had they not hired her to take her clothes off? I'm pretty certain we can limit it to two options, slim and none, with the latter being far more likely.

I do not know. Why does it matter?

How about I put a big bet on Seattle and allege that Payton raped me and kicked my dog?

21 Sep 2014 09:53 #18 by PrintSmith
You can't seriously be trying to conflate an allegation and an arrest, or are you?

21 Sep 2014 14:53 #19 by Blazer Bob

PrintSmith wrote: You can't seriously be trying to conflate an allegation and an arrest, or are you?

Yes, in the same way you are conflating an arrest with a conviction.

PrintSmith wrote: Being arrested has no bearing on guilt or innocence, that's what trials are for. Arrested is a binary state - either you were or were not.

Whether or not Peterson is guilty of abusing his child, whether or not Rice is guilty of domestic violence has no bearing on whether or not they were arrested, nor does it have any bearing on the negative publicity they have generated for both their teams and the entire league. That is what the suspension is for, behavior which places the team and the league in an unfavorable light and generating negative publicity for both and neither of those has a thing to do with guilt or innocence.

22 Sep 2014 10:13 #20 by PrintSmith
I'm not conflating an arrest and a conviction Bob. Nor am I attempting to conflate the civil response of the NFL or one of its teams with a criminal conviction. No, I am keeping the two very separate. The suspension is used to keep the good name of the NFL and of the team intact, not impose a sentence for conviction of committing a crime.

You may allege that a Seahawks player kicked your dog if'n you wish, but you are going to have to deal with the consequences of that allegation when it can be demonstrated that the player in question was in Washington State at the same time you allege your dog was kicked in Colorado. That, by the way, will happen prior to any arrest of the Seahawk player occurring. If it can be shown that the Seahawk player was indeed in Colorado, and in the same physical location as your dog, and if you have supporting evidence, say statements from at least one other person who was witness to your dog being kicked, then there might be sufficient cause to arrest the Seahawk. And since it isn't in the best interests of the NFL, or the Seahawks, to have PETA and the Humane Society picketing their games and having all the talk in the media be about the kicked dog instead of the upcoming games, it makes sense to suspend the player to protect the NFL and the Seahawks in response to the arrest.

See the difference between an allegation and an arrest yet Bob?

Time to create page: 0.163 seconds