× News, results, speculation, and bragging! Home of the popular Pick 5 Contest ! RATING: PG

UNLIKELY HOCKEY HERO

24 Feb 2020 12:56 - 24 Feb 2020 12:58 #1 by ramage
UNLIKELY HOCKEY HERO was created by ramage
David Ayers, 42 y.o. first time goalie recorded the win for the Charlotte Hornets over the Toronto Maple Leafs. He was in the stands as the E-BUG, the emergency back up goalie. Simply the home team has a goalie in the stands should one of the teams need a back-up goalie if their roster has none left. Charlotte had that happen and in the 2nd period he cam out of the stands to play goal for Charlotte. Charlotte won the game. Most importantly to me is what he said after the game:
"“People like underdog stories,” he said. “Coming basically from sitting in the stands, watching the game, to having to go in there—it’s not something you see every day. Fans think it’s a cool thing: a guy gets a chance to go in there and live his dream.” Ayres is also a kidney transplant recipient—he had the procedure done 15 years ago; his donor was his mother, Mary—and that was meaningful, too. (wsj.com 2/24/2020 Jason Gay)

“I’m trying to get the word out that if you have a transplant or such, then it’s not the end of the world for you. Just keep pushing, and you can make it happen.”

We need a feel good story and this is it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

24 Feb 2020 13:13 #2 by ramage
Replied by ramage on topic UNLIKELY HOCKEY HERO
Mea Culpa!
The Charlotte Hurricanes are the ice hockey team.
The Charlotte Hornets are the NBA team.

02 May 2020 10:00 #3 by FredHayek
Replied by FredHayek on topic UNLIKELY HOCKEY HERO
I loved this story when I saw it. I knew the NHL did this back in the 1950's, but didn't know they were still doing it. Awesome for him! He can say proudly he played in the NHL and was unbeaten as a goaltender. 

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

Time to create page: 0.142 seconds