FDA and failure of consistency

23 Jul 2021 06:43 #1 by homeagain
finance.yahoo.com/news/column-heres-why-...uldnt-190006722.html

The inconsistencies of the FDA r troubling......throw out a Alzheimer's drug asap,but hold back on FULL APPROVAL of corona vac. Questions on the
former drug r many and inefficiency is present. THIS makes no sense and contributes to the public's distrust.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

23 Jul 2021 09:23 - 23 Jul 2021 09:43 #2 by ScienceChic
The author discussed that their hasty approval of the Alzheimer drug caused backlash and 3 members of their panel to resign, and rightly so. That they are withholding full approval of the COVID-19 vaccines until they go through the proper procedure despite massive public and WH pressure should improve trust.

The system is working. It's worth being skeptical and reviewing the data in detail, but to blanket distrust the organization is foolhardy. It's our massive public distrust in our government which is causing the majority of our problems (and many Americans to forgo obtaining a COVID vaccination which has conclusively demonstrated to protect people from getting the virus, or suffering severe symptoms for those few breakthrough cases).

Whether or not the vaccines have emergency or full approval is of lesser consideration to me than the copious data from 300 million people who've been vaccinated with them and it being demonstrated largely safe and effective.

Edit to add:

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill
Attachments:

23 Jul 2021 14:04 #3 by homeagain
While I understand the difficulties of the process and the intentions of the individuals,from my pov,
here's the REAL truth....the FDA has been severely hampered by lack of inspectors,personnel and is
being overwhelmed. It has been that way for a very long time,and is NOT improving.

I subscribe to several med. web sites and altho I am not a medical professional,it gives me great pause
to learn what REALLY goes on behind the headlines. Pressure is immense, money is king, pharmco is
MORE than willing to cut corners and apply pressure for their products to enter the market.

The pressure to approve a "modified' (new and improved) application,UNDER an existing approval,is prevalent. Meaning they modified an existing product and wanted it "slipped" under the present approval.
SOME of those modifications are major...and have ramifications yet discovered.

I DO NOT remember a time (in the past) that RECALLS were common,NOW it is .everyday we hear of a
"problem" with the food chain.

In the far past,drug companies could NOT adv. products and push people,via TV,to ASK THEIR DOCTOR
ABOUT
(name the drug).

UNTIL we have made food and drug safety a PRIORITY.....and STAFF the dept sufficiently, i will remain
vigilant and question "was this expedited for $$$''.

Time to create page: 0.179 seconds