Kevin Torres of 9News Favorite Restaurants: 2 along Hwy 285!

01 Jan 2014 17:28 #1 by ScienceChic
It's neat to see a shout-out for local places! Here's hoping he discovers more gems that we already know of. :wink:

Top 9 small-town diners to check out in 2014
by Kevin Torres
Jan 1, 2014

In the last four-and-a-half years at 9NEWS, I've traveled more than 20,000 miles across Colorado.

By now, I've visited at least 80 percent of the state. During each trip, I've had the opportunity to sample more than 100 small town diners. Let me tell you, there's some amazing food out there!

Below is a list of my top 9 favorite small town diners around Colorado (and interactive map:)
1) The Jefferson Market - The Jefferson Market is located in the town of Jefferson just off of Highway 285 in Park County. The Jefferson Market is one of those neat local places that only exist in small towns. Not only does it offer general items, but it also serves one heck of a breakfast! One neat thing about the Jefferson Market is how some locals leave their coffee cups hanging on the store's walls every day. They keep them there for a re-fill every morning. The Jefferson Market is famously known for its fresh fudge. It's the best fudge I've ever tasted.

9) Mason's High Country BBQ - My all-time favorite small town food joint is located in Fairplay, which out of towners know as South Park. I've had a lot of BBQ in my life, but none has been as delicious as the BBQ at Mason's.
Email me at . with your favorite small-town diner!

File Attachment:

From 9News

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

01 Jan 2014 17:45 #2 by LOL
Interesting picks, have to try some of those.

My favs on the road are Brown Burro cafe and coffee shop in Fairplay, Boathouse in Salida on the river, and Ol Miner Steakhouse in Gunnison.

If you want to be, press one. If you want not to be, press 2

Republicans are red, democrats are blue, neither of them, gives a flip about you.

01 Jan 2014 18:23 #3 by FredHayek
Is the Jefferson Market still making breakfast? Loved their breakfast burritos.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

01 Jan 2014 19:51 #4 by HEARTLESS
Gotta try it as well. I second the Brown Burro in Fairplay LOL. Years ago my wife and I did a lot of mountain biking, and found Crested Butte had the best restaurants overall of anywhere we have been. The Bakery Café for breakfast, Slogar's for home style chicken, Donita's Cantina for Mex, Soupcon and a couple others that don't come to mind right now.

The silent majority will be silent no more.

01 Jan 2014 20:25 #5 by FredHayek
Agree about Crested Butte, we didn't care for the Brown Burro last time we went. Hope it was just an off night.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

Time to create page: 0.156 seconds