Acupuncture by Trained Providers Deemed Safe for Kids

21 Nov 2011 22:07 #1 by ScienceChic
Interesting stuff. I'd take my kids if there was documented efficacy for their ailment.

http://www.myhealthnewsdaily.com/acupun ... ids--2153/
Acupuncture by Trained Providers Deemed Safe for Kids
Nov 21, 2011 | 1:01 AM ET | By Cory Hatch

Credit: Doglikehorse | Dreamstime

Researchers from the University of Alberta in Canada reviewed the literature looking for adverse effects caused by acupuncture in children from birth to 17 years old. Of 37 reports included in the review, researchers found 25 cases where children experienced serious adverse effects, such as infections, intestinal blockage and coma, and 253 cases of mild adverse effects, such as bruising or bleeding. The reports included randomized controlled trials, cohort studies and case reports.

Overall, mild adverse effects occurred in nearly 12 percent of patients, according to the analysis.

Needle acupuncture is increasingly used to treat children for a variety of conditions including chronic pain and post-operative nausea, said study co-author Dr. Sunita Vohra, an associate professor of medicine at the university.

The study

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.121 seconds