Broviac: Cancer Treatment Care

04 Jul 2010 17:12 #1 by CMASO
Question: Has anybody had the experience of having a Broviac Dual Port placed in their chest with the two tubes (iv) coming out? Our son was just diagnosed with Bone Cancer and the Broviac was inserted Thursday and we start chemo this coming week.

We are looking for any suggestions on how people dealt with the tubes, etc - not the cleaning part we have that all down. But any special secrets of the trade to help with placement of the tubes as to not let them just hang down or to keep from continuously taping them - to make him more comfortable.

Any ideas, suggestions or known from past self experience, family or friends would be greatly appreciated.

And All PRAYERS.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

05 Jul 2010 21:03 #2 by CinnamonGirl
Replied by CinnamonGirl on topic Broviac: Cancer Treatment Care
Hi,

I do not know too much about the port you are talking about. I wish I could help with that. So sorry.

But, I just want to offer my heartfelt thoughts and prayers. Almost exactly 3 years ago, my son had surgery for a a 4.5 cm. acoustic neuroma brain tumor that was diagnosed 3 weeks before he graduated from high school. Before the surgery he had such balance issues he was falling and tripping all over. It was so large it was pressing on his brain stem and they had to do it quickly or he could have died. He had a 13 hour brain surgery and lost his voice for six months following and has a paralyzed vocal chord . He still has nerve damage and is deaf in one ear. But did recover better than his doctors ever hoped. Many have way more lasting effects. Being young helped tremendously. And the doctors said he is basically their star patient. He is in the top 5% of recovery from this type of large tumor. We kept the faith but know the stress of serious medical issues with kids this age. It takes time to adjust to it all. If my son was around and had this 30 years ago, 40% didn't make it through surgery. Technology is so much better and with micro surgery the rate is more like 5%. So, we feel very lucky. Medical tech is amazing.

Take care of yourself and know that there are other parents that know what you are going through. Hugs to you all. :heart:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.136 seconds