How Microbes Defend and Define Us

29 Jul 2010 10:26 #1 by Rockdoc
I was blown away by this article. Recall how modern society marshals against germs. Don't do this and don't do that because of germs. Now research is getting an education on just how important microbes are to our well being. This is one of those articles where you have to get past the first few paragraphs before it really gets interesting. I'd be interested in what you though of these findings and your speculation as to where this will lead.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/07/13/science/13micro.html

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

29 Jul 2010 16:57 #2 by ScienceChic
I guess I've been blessed with being immersed in genetics for most of my career that almost nothing in this article is news to me (didn't know about good microbes in the lungs, but it makes sense - it's a wet, warm environment open to the outside world that needs defending). I'm such a geek that when I went to India, I was looking forward to getting my gut exposed to completely novel microbes (in regards to my usual environment) and increasing its diversity - thus making it better able to respond to whatever comes through in the future. (I did not look forward to, nor enjoy, the diarrhea that resulted as my body tried to cope with the influx of newcomers, but it was a necessary evil. At least I wasn't as bad as my hubby who couldn't even fart with confidence for 2 months after our trip!).

Much like the push to make people wear sunscreen every. minute. of. the. day. was an overboard response for 99% of the population and has resulted in increasing numbers of those deficient in Vitamin D, the push to "kill all germs" is an overboard response to reducing disease. The focus should be on isolating and targeting those individual bacteria, viruses, and fungi that cause problems and leaving intact the beneficial ones.

Hopefully as this research gets more exposure, everyone will start realizing that we must live in harmony with our environment. Yes, there are bacteria and viruses that will cause disease, but they must be dealt with individually and specifically. Unless it's proven that I have a bacterial infection and I'm absolutely miserable, I refuse to take antibiotics - they kill too much of my good biota, and the antibiotics go on to infiltrate the environment once passed through my body and allow bacteria out there to develop resistance they otherwise wouldn't have had the opportunity to. I also refuse to use products containing triclosan; it too kills good bacteria and is implicated in having other harmful effects.

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

30 Jul 2010 00:21 #3 by Rockdoc
You are adventurous indeed. Love it. I reflect on a thread not too long ago and perhaps it was on PC where people were concerned about their children catching the flue and wanted to keep them out of school. I'm not for such reactions at all. I think we need to face what is out there to help our bodies build up resistance and immunities. One can not do that in a sterile environment. Sure you get sick (for a while generally and you don't feel great) but I do believe your body responds to the stress positively in some way. Thankfully, I've experienced a very healthy life. I do consider my not being protected from my environment as instrumental in having great resistance.

I do not have extensive genetic schooling plus my formal education is from the 70's, a long ways from what is being taught today. Hence I was astounded at the diversity, abundance and distribution of microbes inside us. Of course it makes perfect sense if you consider the environmental predictability our bodies offer.. most of the time. Organisms thrive under those not unpredictable conditions.

Time to create page: 0.141 seconds