Nutrition, Food Allergies, and Intolerances

04 Jun 2010 00:39 #1 by ScienceChic
I posted this elsewhere so I apologize if this is a rehash for you. This link is to one of my favorite blogs: http://bisousmd.tripod.com/blog/
She is a lady after my own heart - addicted to finding information, lots of it, and sifting out the crap from the good stuff. She's a psychiatrist/MD who recently weaned her 2nd baby and went on a major health kick. She started researching food, diet, etc and had an immunoglobulin test done to find out if she had any food intolerances and has been blogging about her experiences (I started following her years ago because she and I seemed to have the same things happen with our kids, and she's funny).

Her food info starts, at the moment, 3 pages back on the 3/26/10 entry. I recommend starting from there to get a good perspective; it will take a while to get through it all. Her more recent posts have TONS of info crammed in them, books she's read (I put a few on my Amazon wish list thanks to what she said), and how her body has responded. Her experiences switching to a "paleolithic" diet have been extraordinary. I hope it will provide some nuggets of wisdom for you as it has me.

Here's an excerpt from a recent post:
Sunday, 05/16/2010
Eat Whatever You Want*** Lose Weight and Keep it Off Forever!!
** except for a few foods which currently constitute 60% of the standard American diet

All you have to do is follow a few dietary rules to be more hunter gatherer in your eating: (see list)
*Now a few simple lifestyle rules: (see list)

*I'm following all your stupid rules, and I feel like crap!!

1) A sudden drop in carbohydrates can cause some people to feel sick and tired and grouchy. This can happen even without ketosis (which won't generally happen with the amount of carbohydrates you would eat from having lots of veggies). This usually passes within a couple of days, (after which you will tend to feel energetic, clear-headed, and fabulous) but go to the "How to Start Slowly" section if you like.

*I want a cookie!!!!!

Eat a cookie.

No, seriously, eat a cookie. The way of eating detailed above puts us into a fat-burning metabolic mode. As long as you spend the majority of your time eating according to the rules, you should be in fat-burning mode most of the time, and a cookie ain't gonna hurt much.

Now if that didn't make you chuckle...well... maybe you don't have the same sense of humor that I do! :) She's funny, easy to read, but chock full of the scientific info too. What's not to like!?

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

04 Jun 2010 06:06 #2 by JMC
She a lot of fun to read, She cuts through the crap

04 Jun 2010 07:30 #3 by Rockdoc
Thanks SC. I will take look. Nutrition is an area in which I fail, by not paying attention. Metabolism becomes more of an enemy with decreasing activity given the evil twins; age and long work hours at a desk.

Time to create page: 0.144 seconds