School Safety: To Plan, or Not to Plan.........

11 Jan 2014 12:38 #121 by ZHawke
We're seeing what some are calling a marked increase in the media coverage of violence in our country. How refreshing would it be to see more articles and activities like this?

Based on what I see in public schools all across America, I'm happy to report that decency, humanity and goodness are still alive and well among our young people. The perpetrators of violence may have a stranglehold on the national consciousness, but they still represent only a minority. The headlines, thank goodness, are in no way reflective of reality.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/dan-cardinali/shocked-by-violence-try-b_b_4570321.html?utm_hp_ref=shooting

A link to the site mentioned in this article: http://www.communitiesinschools.org/

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

20 Jul 2014 13:48 #122 by ZHawke
Haven't posted in quite awhile in this forum because of some negative feedback I've been getting (not here, but elsewhere). Decided this subject is really too important to just let it slide. In that vein, here's an article on school safety that I found incorporates both the "people" aspect of school safety planning and the "hardware" aspect of same:

http://www.elkharttruth.com/news/schools/2014/07/18/Elkhart-closes-exposed-student-spaces-installs-new-locks-with-referendum-money.html

The technology for inhibiting access to classrooms by an active shooter has actually been around since the tragedy at Columbine High School. After 15 years out, it seems a bit odd to me there haven't been more schools documented taking advantage of this very simple, safe, effective means of helping to address active shooter situations.

12 Sep 2014 09:05 #123 by ZHawke
This article goes to what I tried to state previously about sticking one's head in the sand regarding school safety and emergency management programs:

http://www.campussafetymagazine.com/article/there_is_no_such_thing_as_plausible_deniability_in_school_safety1

Plausible deniability has been used as an excuse to do virtually nothing except meet minimum standards for far too long. If your kids' school is using this as their excuse, perhaps it's time to ask them why they're doing it.

18 Sep 2014 09:21 #124 by ZHawke
Here's an article that illustrates pretty well how communication and collaboration can have a positive benefit for everyone in the ongoing efforts to address the gun violence epidemic:

www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2014/...n-violence/15771767/

Not only does this have the potential to be effective in the more "common" areas needing to be addressed, but also in the area of school safety. Now, if only we could get a higher level of communication and collaboration between and among schools around the country perhaps significant progress could be made there, too.

18 Sep 2014 09:27 - 18 Sep 2014 09:28 #125 by ZHawke
Another one in the communication and collaboration category: bringing economics into the equation: www.wkyc.com/story/news/local/cuyahoga-c...n-violence/15753945/
In business, the bottom line (profit) is, undeniably, the primary motivation. The focus of the group in this article is to bring economic pressure to bear on manufacturers to take a more active role in helping to reduce gun violence through means in which they (manufacturers) can have a very positive influence.

23 Sep 2014 17:15 - 23 Sep 2014 17:16 #126 by ZHawke
Personally, I admire Sue Klebold for doing this, and I wish her and the rest of her family continued healing: www.9news.com/story/news/local/2014/09/2...san-memoir/16107963/

24 Sep 2014 19:00 #127 by ZHawke
This really is a very long overdue report. If nothing else, please consider reading the conclusion of this report from the FBI. Some very interesting stats in the body of the report, as well.

As our friend, Mary Kay Mace states, "I agree that it's an important report. I can't help questioning one aspect, though: In Appendix A, they list the names of the shooters for each and every incident (except for the three in which the shooter was not identified/caught). There was one and only one of the victims named: Gabrielle Giffords. I understand that there were far too many victims to list all their names. But why is it that we continue to make sure the murderers' names are remembered? How is that a disincentive to the next nutcase who wants to go out in a blaze of glory?"

www.fbi.gov/news/stories/2014/september/...etween-2000-and-2013

25 Sep 2014 09:01 #128 by ComputerBreath

ZHawke wrote: Personally, I admire Sue Klebold for doing this, and I wish her and the rest of her family continued healing: www.9news.com/story/news/local/2014/09/2...san-memoir/16107963/

When I heard this on the news, I thought of you and wondered what your reaction would be.

Your shining strength was very evident in the words above. :like:
The following user(s) said Thank You: ZHawke

27 Sep 2014 11:43 #129 by ZHawke
Surprise, surprise.

Even the school safety expert I got this link from was pretty appalled by the lack of transparency from this school district: www.wowktv.com/story/26640625/number-of-...-schools?config=H264

27 Sep 2014 17:08 - 27 Sep 2014 17:08 #130 by ScienceChic

ComputerBreath wrote:

ZHawke wrote: Personally, I admire Sue Klebold for doing this, and I wish her and the rest of her family continued healing: www.9news.com/story/news/local/2014/09/2...san-memoir/16107963/

When I heard this on the news, I thought of you and wondered what your reaction would be.

Your shining strength was very evident in the words above. :like:

:like: As well. I greatly respect the Klebold's and the Harris's for having borne their pain in silence all these years, though I wouldn't have condemned them had they spoken out either for they are not responsible for their sons' choices, and I would hope that time has lessened the pain. I would buy her book merely to support her and her family, if nothing else.

The greater tragedy is that we still have a long way to go to improve school safety, and adequate plans by school districts for emergencies. What the Keyes have done to help move that along has been nothing short of miraculous, and I look forward to more that they, and others, continue to do.

Thanks for the information that you post ZHawke! It is much appreciated, even if not commented on immediately.

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill
The following user(s) said Thank You: ZHawke

Time to create page: 0.370 seconds