Concerning and Serious TikTok Challenges Targeted at Our Students

11 Oct 2021 14:42 #1 by ScienceChic
Please have a talk with your children about this. From Green Mountain High School, but not specific to that school only.

I am writing today to be proactive in asking for your support in addressing some concerns that have come to my attention. It is my hope that you are able to have open conversations with your children about the ongoing concerns of social media trends that are leading to negative impacts at school. For you as a parent, I know it can be a challenge to monitor your children’s online presence but now more than ever it is crucial to ensure that they do not become involved in a fad that will lead to disciplinary actions. Please have a conversation with your students about these topics:
●Profanity at Faculty
●Tik Tok Challenge - The Tik Tok challenge for the month of October is to hit a staff
member. There are two versions of this challenge that we are aware of:
1. To hit a school staff member on the backside (the bum).
2. To hit a school staff member on the face.

For those of you who would like to plan ahead, here are the “challenges” for the rest of the year.
○ November - Kiss your friend’s girlfriend
○ December - “Deck the Hall” and show your “breasts and balls” in the school halls
○ January - Jab a breast
○ February - Mess up school signs
○ March - Make a mess in the courtyard and cafeteria
○ April - Grab some “eggz”--steal something
○ May - Ditch Day
○ June - Flip off the main office
○ July - Spray paint your neighbour’s fence

If you look closely at the list, you will see a misogynistic trend and what in the threat assessment world is called “boundary probing behaviors.” This is a set of behaviors which build on one another and becomes increasingly more dangerous. The consequences for these behaviors can be very serious, and I am asking for your help with having a preventative conversation with your students.

file:///Users/sharontrilk/Downloads/Letter%20of%20Concern%20To%20Parents_Guardians.pdf

Grand Blanc Township Police warn: some Tik Tok challenges can lead to criminal charges

Some students face charges for the 'slap a teacher' challenge. Now schools are issuing warnings.

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

11 Oct 2021 17:30 #2 by homeagain
www.wired.com/story/tiktok-year-trump-ba...-change-new-threats/

OVERVIEW of the problem.....who runs/owns it,what SHOULD be done to correct the caustic issue and
why we r where we are NOW.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.163 seconds