Day Trip: Breckenridge to Fairplay to Conifer

01 Jun 2014 20:46 #1 by ScienceChic
We were fortunate to spend the weekend in Breckenridge where L'il Science Dude and L'il'er Science Chickette had a Colorado Taekwondo Institute Expo (their 30th year of doing them!). More on that later though.

While they were in class, EM and I got the bikes out and went for a ride. Awesome bike paths, well maintained and beautiful scenery.

When the Expo finished today, we decided to come back via Hoosier Pass through Alma and into Fairplay. The rivers are running nice and swift (there were more than a few waterfalls on the drive up to Breck along I-70, didn't see any on the way back though).

Starting the climb up Hoosier Pass:

The top:

The valley on the other side:

Before Kenosha Pass - I haven't seen it that green in a while! The aspens are still filling out though.

Meyer Ranch Open Space - couldn't get over how green that was either!

Along the way we stopped at Mason's High Country BBQ for lunch - yum, definitely a recommend - and, of course, Aspen Peak Cellars. It would be a crime to pass it by. :biggrin:

It was a perfect day trip - if you haven't gone for a drive up and gotten a hike or bike ride in, definitely go!

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

01 Jun 2014 21:13 #2 by otisptoadwater
Great pictures, thanks for sharing! Looks like the weather was perfect too, it's hard to beat a nice day in the high country and even when the weather isn't great the high country is always a wonderful place to be!

I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." - Henry Ford

Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges; When the Republic is at its most corrupt the laws are most numerous. - Publius Cornelius Tacitus

01 Jun 2014 21:29 #3 by ScienceChic
It was chilly on the bike ride this morning, but yes otherwise perfect weather. The students had their annual run/obstacle course/scavenger hunt this morning, the Black Belts starting at 7am (my munchkins went at 7:30 and 9am, the older kids get to run into town, the younger ones they keep around the hotel), and the early runners claim that they started in a 32 degree rain. Been there, done that in my high school running days and that was no fun - I didn't envy them. Glad it cleared up before we headed out! :)

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

02 Jun 2014 09:12 #4 by ComputerBreath
:wink: I see the Hoosier drive on average five days a week...but, seeing it from your POV was heartening...thanks for reminding me of the beauty I get to experience every day!

05 Jun 2016 16:12 #5 by ScienceChic
Had our annual Colorado Taekwondo Institute Expo weekend in Breckenridge again this weekend and came back via 285. It was gorgeous weather up there! We ate dinner at a place called Czech It Out Saturday night - 100% recommended (the waitress was a hoot, she was the icing on the cake of delicious fare). EM had the goulash, I, the Mixed Greens Salad with Smoked Salmon and a Creamy Tarragon dressing. :drool: They've got the best upper deck and views along Main St!

Did some research at the Ridge Street Wine/Breckenridge Cheese & Chocolate Shop while the kids were in class on Saturday afternoon. It was a tough job, someone had to volunteer. :P

If you get a chance to wander up that way, definitely do. The biking/hiking trails are awesome, downtown is adorable and fun, and the people are very friendly. We had a minivan cut us off and proceed to go reaaaaalllly slow down Main St. Seeing my hubby toss up his hands in frustration when we got cut off, a guy in the car next to us who saw what happened yelled out the window "Just sightseeing!" reminding us to slow down and enjoy the journey. People joked in elevators, it was just fun and relaxing.

Here's some pics:

Hope you all had a great weekend too!

Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.217 seconds