Why I'm a Centrist Who Is Turning Liberal

29 Jul 2014 15:59 #11 by RenegadeCJ
Agree to a point PS, but there are a lot of "middle class" jobs out there. People just aren't willing to do them. Hundreds of thousands of jobs in the "construction" arena. We don't have a jobs gap, we have a skills gap. People that want to work hard, can make a fine living. They just can't sit at a desk all day.

Too bad future generations aren't here to see all the great things we are spending their $$ on!!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

29 Jul 2014 16:16 #12 by PrintSmith
Those jobs, then and now, are primarily filled by first generation immigrants to gain a foothold on the American Dream for the future generations of their family. A skilled tradesman can earn enough to provide for their families, but you aren't going to be compiling the necessary retirement fund unless you spend the majority of your working years living very frugally, something that is pretty much a foreign concept to a people with the high standard of living this Union is blessed with. The average family of the 1950's was a lot closer to today's "poor" than they ever were to what today is considered "middle class". Go look at one of the homes built in the 1950's. The master bedrooms in those homes, and the closets, would be considered too small for the room a toddler occupies today.

29 Jul 2014 16:51 #13 by ramage
What should tax rate should I pay? I made $10,000/yr in 2009 and $550,000. in 2012. What is fair?

30 Jul 2014 10:00 - 30 Jul 2014 10:01 #14 by Blazer Bob

30 Jul 2014 15:02 #15 by PrintSmith
Turning back, sortakinda, to the topic, I heard something today that had a ring of truth to it, at least to my ears. The people inside the Party of Democrats today are the same ones that were outside of it during the 1968 convention in Chicago. Thoughts?

30 Jul 2014 15:25 #16 by homeagain

PrintSmith wrote: Turning back, sortakinda, to the topic, I heard something today that had a ring of truth to it, at least to my ears. The people inside the Party of Democrats today are the same ones that were outside of it during the 1968 convention in Chicago. Thoughts?

Which brings to mind the quote by KURT VONNEGUT."True terror is to wake up one morning and discover
that your high school class is running the country." :whistle:

30 Jul 2014 15:29 #17 by Rick
Are you talking about the people who were against the government but now see a big central government as the answer? Those people?

It was always the women, and above all the young ones, who were the most bigoted adherents of the Party, the swallowers of slogans, the amateur spies and nosers−out of unorthodoxy

George Orwell

30 Jul 2014 15:32 #18 by homeagain

RenegadeCJ wrote: Agree to a point PS, but there are a lot of "middle class" jobs out there. People just aren't willing to do them. Hundreds of thousands of jobs in the "construction" arena. We don't have a jobs gap, we have a skills gap. People that want to work hard, can make a fine living. They just can't sit at a desk all day.

THIS (bolded) is the TRUE problem....WSJ reports time and time again that jobs are actually available in
many fields, the skill sets to acquire those jobs are lacking and altho resumes are plentiful, the candidate selection is NOT.

30 Jul 2014 15:40 #19 by RenegadeCJ

homeagain wrote:

RenegadeCJ wrote: Agree to a point PS, but there are a lot of "middle class" jobs out there. People just aren't willing to do them. Hundreds of thousands of jobs in the "construction" arena. We don't have a jobs gap, we have a skills gap. People that want to work hard, can make a fine living. They just can't sit at a desk all day.

THIS (bolded) is the TRUE problem....WSJ reports time and time again that jobs are actually available in
many fields, the skill sets to acquire those jobs are lacking and altho resumes are plentiful, the candidate selection is NOT.

So true homeagain. I typically agree with PS, but in this case he is wrong. You may not get fabulously wealthy using your skills with your hands, but you can easily make $60-80k without any problem in construction. We have a massive shortage of skilled people in welding, plumbing, masonry, and other construction trades. Not only that, but people are retiring a lot faster than new people are starting in the skilled trades. Wages will only be going up, AND you will never be without a job if you are a hard worker. You can't outsource these types of jobs, and the likelihood of a machine taking your job is also very slim.

Too bad future generations aren't here to see all the great things we are spending their $$ on!!

30 Jul 2014 16:29 #20 by PrintSmith
You might not be able to offshore the jobs, but you can sure open up the floodgates of immigration to supply workers for those jobs to keep the wages down . . .

Time to create page: 0.163 seconds