Why I'm a Centrist Who Is Turning Liberal

30 Jul 2014 17:22 #21 by LOL

RenegadeCJ wrote:

homeagain wrote:

RenegadeCJ wrote: Agree to a point PS, but there are a lot of "middle class" jobs out there. People just aren't willing to do them. Hundreds of thousands of jobs in the "construction" arena. We don't have a jobs gap, we have a skills gap. People that want to work hard, can make a fine living. They just can't sit at a desk all day.

THIS (bolded) is the TRUE problem....WSJ reports time and time again that jobs are actually available in
many fields, the skill sets to acquire those jobs are lacking and altho resumes are plentiful, the candidate selection is NOT.

So true homeagain. I typically agree with PS, but in this case he is wrong. You may not get fabulously wealthy using your skills with your hands, but you can easily make $60-80k without any problem in construction. We have a massive shortage of skilled people in welding, plumbing, masonry, and other construction trades. Not only that, but people are retiring a lot faster than new people are starting in the skilled trades. Wages will only be going up, AND you will never be without a job if you are a hard worker. You can't outsource these types of jobs, and the likelihood of a machine taking your job is also very slim.

Agree the skills are not there. Electronic Techs and Car Mechanic Techs can make good wages too, and with only a 2-yr degree. But the candidates I have interviewed and worked with are poorly skilled, unmotivated and inexperienced. And those jobs are there for the taking for go-getters. And I have mentored good elec techs when I find them, but have trouble motivating them to continue their education and go into engineering. They want to stay in the rut they are in. Going back to school is "too hard". OK, enjoy your mediocrity. And complain about class warfare. Good luck!

If you want to be, press one. If you want not to be, press 2

Republicans are red, democrats are blue, neither of them, gives a flip about you.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

30 Jul 2014 18:28 #22 by Blazer Bob

RenegadeCJ wrote:

homeagain wrote:

RenegadeCJ wrote: Agree to a point PS, but there are a lot of "middle class" jobs out there. People just aren't willing to do them. Hundreds of thousands of jobs in the "construction" arena. We don't have a jobs gap, we have a skills gap. People that want to work hard, can make a fine living. They just can't sit at a desk all day.

THIS (bolded) is the TRUE problem....WSJ reports time and time again that jobs are actually available in
many fields, the skill sets to acquire those jobs are lacking and altho resumes are plentiful, the candidate selection is NOT.

So true homeagain. I typically agree with PS, but in this case he is wrong. You may not get fabulously wealthy using your skills with your hands, but you can easily make $60-80k without any problem in construction....

Fabulously wealthy as well as living frugally are somewhat relative terms. Some people making millions of dollars per year are living hand to mouth and end up bankrupt. Someone making 60-80k a year can have a comfortable life and retire a multimillionaire.

There is a simple yet profound book that I recommend.

The Richest Man in Babylon Mass Market Paperback – January 1, 2002
by George S. Clason (Author)
1,107 customer reviews
#1 Best Seller in Business Ethics
The following user(s) said Thank You: Venturer

30 Jul 2014 19:19 #23 by homeagain
I think the trick is to ALWAYS live below your means....regardless of the disposable income bracket you
claim.(OFF topic a bit, but none the less STILL important.)

31 Jul 2014 06:02 #24 by RenegadeCJ

BlazerBob wrote: Fabulously wealthy as well as living frugally are somewhat relative terms. Some people making millions of dollars per year are living hand to mouth and end up bankrupt. Someone making 60-80k a year can have a comfortable life and retire a multimillionaire.

There is a simple yet profound book that I recommend.

The Richest Man in Babylon Mass Market Paperback – January 1, 2002
by George S. Clason (Author)
1,107 customer reviews
#1 Best Seller in Business Ethics

Totally agree, but I've had kids, when I tell them they can make $60-80k, and live quite nicely, tell me they were expecting to make well over $100k after they go to college. Of course they aren't actually in degrees that will pay that, but that doesn't matter. They then graduate and wonder why they are working fast food.

Totally off topic, but our schools should be teaching money management and teach kids how money works. We fail the generations in the future by not doing this. I've asked a lot of kids what the rule of 72 is....they don't even know that basic fact.

Too bad future generations aren't here to see all the great things we are spending their $$ on!!

31 Jul 2014 07:22 #25 by OmniScience
On a somewhat related note, some of you may find this interesting, especially if you have kids in college or even high school..........

http://kdvr.com/2014/07/30/brutally-honest-cover-letter-leads-to-job/

31 Jul 2014 19:59 #26 by Venturer
Kudos to Matthew Ross. His willingness to do whatever menial jobs were required and work hard clearly set him apart from many others.

31 Jul 2014 20:01 #27 by Venturer
Why rely on schools. Every parent should be teaching money management then we don't fail any of them.

RenegadeCJ wrote: .

Totally off topic, but our schools should be teaching money management and teach kids how money works. We fail the generations in the future by not doing this. I've asked a lot of kids what the rule of 72 is....they don't even know that basic fact.

01 Aug 2014 05:59 #28 by RenegadeCJ

Venturer wrote: Why rely on schools. Every parent should be teaching money management then we don't fail any of them.

RenegadeCJ wrote: .

Totally agree, although in my daily dealings with adults with kids....they don't know the information either. They were never taught it.

Too bad future generations aren't here to see all the great things we are spending their $$ on!!

01 Aug 2014 06:50 #29 by FredHayek
I didn't learn the rule of 72 until a college finance course.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

01 Aug 2014 08:17 #30 by Blazer Bob

ScienceChic wrote: ....... We don't want more useless legislation or bigger government, we just want it to work efficiently, provide for its citizens, and create fair and equitable economic opportunity for all - not an opportunistic environment for those with money and power to tip things in their favor........

Who's R&D gets more bang for the buck, industry or government? Which creates more economic opportunity? What zip codes never saw a recession?

Time to create page: 0.178 seconds