Individual perceptions

28 Oct 2014 10:55 - 28 Oct 2014 10:55 #121 by homeagain
Replied by homeagain on topic Individual perceptions

PrintSmith wrote: Wholly lost, at least thus far, is this part of the article homeagain provided:

The higher wages and the higher menu prices help explain why there are 16 McDonald’s per million inhabitants in Denmark, but 45 McDonald’s per million in the United States, Mr. Jurajda said.

So much for the meme that a higher minimum wage will have no noticeable effect on the number of people employed, eh?

A non-main stream take on that. WHY is it necessary to have HUNDREDS of shampoo products on
the shelf,or a Starbuck's on almost every corner OR a McDonald's with THAT much exposure? We are over-loaded, MAXXED out on choices/options in this society (America)....more does NOT equate to better.JMO

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

28 Oct 2014 11:06 #122 by Blazer Bob
Replied by Blazer Bob on topic Individual perceptions

homeagain wrote: Think I related this story previously, but it IS worth telling again. We lived in Conyers, Ga. for awhile
(couple of years)....had a fav restaurant that we continued to frequent BECAUSE of the wait person they
employed and they had a LIGHTER and healthier menu available.

The wait person was the ULTIMATE in a server. Knew us by name (along with many others) and knew
what and how we liked our dinner/lunch. Would continually make "rounds" of her stations and stop for a
moment to chat with each of her patrons...this was NOT a high end dining establishment,but just a comfortable atmosphere to dine at.

She was such an adroit employee, I asked her about her "chosen career" and this is what she said...I can make OVER $50,000 a year in tips just pretending to be "on stage" as a actor portraying a waitress. I"m GOOD at what I do and it makes me content.

That is not fair. Why should she make more just because she is better at her job than someone else. If I were a lousy waiter I would demand that the government pass a law that I get equal pay.

"By law, restaurant industry employers may estimate that each waiter or waitress receives at least 8 percent of their total sales receipts as tips and gratuities.

Read more : www.ehow.com/info_12021486_tip-claiming-waitresses-taxes.html

28 Oct 2014 11:52 #123 by PrintSmith
Replied by PrintSmith on topic Individual perceptions

Wicked wrote: Why is it that fast-food, and even waitressing, jobs are regarded as "temporary" or "stepping stones" and not ones that people could aspire to for a longer career? Someone always has to work them, why should it always be "someone who should be moving on to something better?" I know people at my first job working in a popular, inexpensive sit-down restaurant who planned on being there the rest of their working career - they didn't want to do anything else.

What a paradigm shift if those jobs could actually sustain folks who aren't suited to go to college, or even vocational school, to actually earn a living. I mean, if they are gainfully employed, and happy working there, why shouldn't they be able to make enough to support a family rather than forcing themselves to go become an electrician or hairdresser because that's supposedly "better"? It's still good, honest work, not welfare. Stop being so judgmental about the type of work and pay them decent wages where they don't have to also get food stamp assistance, or live paycheck to paycheck. Maybe then businesses wouldn't have to deal with so much turnover and could be more stable? I don't disagree that more of that burden should fall on the business owners themselves to reward long-term employees and pay them more for the benefit they get in return of having experienced employees, rather than constantly hiring cheap temporary labor, but I see this as a societal attitude shift that needs to take place as well.

This, to me, is a classic case of trying to conflate the value of the person with the value of their labor. There is only so much value to an employer that any given job has. Sure, it would be nice if we would pay someone $50K a year to fry potatoes so that they could do that job for the rest of their lives and raise a family doing it, but the reality of the situation is that the value of that labor is far less than $50K a year. The other reality is that if you force the employer to pay someone $50K a year to fry potatoes, because it's good honest work that they enjoy doing, there aren't going to be a lot of places for that person to work. Think of how many more people would be unemployed, and receiving far more in benefits than they do now, if there were only a third the number of business employing people to fry potatoes than there are right now.

A fast food restaurant can be automated to the point of requiring a fraction of the staff necessary at the moment, and that is precisely what will happen when the cost of labor exceeds the cost of the technology necessary to do the same job.

20 years ago a pressman operating a two-color, 2-up press commanded in excess of $20/hr. That was when there were quick prints in every strip mall in the city. Today, thanks to advances in technology, we don't have quick prints in every strip mall and there are a fraction of the number of presses running that there used to be. Today that pressman commands a wage that is around $15/hr, not $20/hr. Not because they are less skilled than they used to be, not because they are less valuable as a person than they used to be, but because the value of their labor is significantly less than it was 20 years ago.

You simply can't assign the value of a person to the value of the labor they are performing. It doesn't work that way. Never has, never will.

28 Oct 2014 12:01 #124 by homeagain

PrintSmith wrote:

Wicked wrote: Why is it that fast-food, and even waitressing, jobs are regarded as "temporary" or "stepping stones" and not ones that people could aspire to for a longer career? Someone always has to work them, why should it always be "someone who should be moving on to something better?" I know people at my first job working in a popular, inexpensive sit-down restaurant who planned on being there the rest of their working career - they didn't want to do anything else.

What a paradigm shift if those jobs could actually sustain folks who aren't suited to go to college, or even vocational school, to actually earn a living. I mean, if they are gainfully employed, and happy working there, why shouldn't they be able to make enough to support a family rather than forcing themselves to go become an electrician or hairdresser because that's supposedly "better"? It's still good, honest work, not welfare. Stop being so judgmental about the type of work and pay them decent wages where they don't have to also get food stamp assistance, or live paycheck to paycheck. Maybe then businesses wouldn't have to deal with so much turnover and could be more stable? I don't disagree that more of that burden should fall on the business owners themselves to reward long-term employees and pay them more for the benefit they get in return of having experienced employees, rather than constantly hiring cheap temporary labor, but I see this as a societal attitude shift that needs to take place as well.

This, to me, is a classic case of trying to conflate the value of the person with the value of their labor. There is only so much value to an employer that any given job has. Sure, it would be nice if we would pay someone $50K a year to fry potatoes so that they could do that job for the rest of their lives and raise a family doing it, but the reality of the situation is that the value of that labor is far less than $50K a year. The other reality is that if you force the employer to pay someone $50K a year to fry potatoes, because it's good honest work that they enjoy doing, there aren't going to be a lot of places for that person to work. Think of how many more people would be unemployed, and receiving far more in benefits than they do now, if there were only a third the number of business employing people to fry potatoes than there are right now.

A fast food restaurant can be automated to the point of requiring a fraction of the staff necessary at the moment, and that is precisely what will happen when the cost of labor exceeds the cost of the technology necessary to do the same job.

20 years ago a pressman operating a two-color, 2-up press commanded in excess of $20/hr. That was when there were quick prints in every strip mall in the city. Today, thanks to advances in technology, we don't have quick prints in every strip mall and there are a fraction of the number of presses running that there used to be. Today that pressman commands a wage that is around $15/hr, not $20/hr. Not because they are less skilled than they used to be, not because they are less valuable as a person than they used to be, but because the value of their labor is significantly less than it was 20 years ago.

You simply can't assign the value of a person to the value of the labor they are performing. It doesn't work that way. Never has, never will.

[/b]

REALLY,guess you have CONVENIENTLY FORGOTTEN about the obscene salaries in sports and other hi profile occupations,huh?

28 Oct 2014 12:33 - 28 Oct 2014 12:33 #125 by RenegadeCJ
Replied by RenegadeCJ on topic Individual perceptions

homeagain wrote:

PrintSmith wrote:

[/b]

REALLY,guess you have CONVENIENTLY FORGOTTEN about the obscene salaries in sports and other hi profile occupations,huh?

The reason these people make obscene (in your opinion) $$ is because they have obscene skills. The vast majority of people can't do what they can do. Actors-same thing. While I believe many make way more than their worth, their employers make a lot of money having them there. I guarantee if they could find someone who could do the same job for less $$, they would.

Too bad future generations aren't here to see all the great things we are spending their $$ on!!

28 Oct 2014 12:44 #126 by PrintSmith
As evidenced recently when the Denver Broncos cut loose one of the best kickers in the game, a kicker who held the record for the longest field goal in NFL history, in favor for someone who, arguably at this point, isn't as good, but cost the team far less in salary.

28 Oct 2014 12:53 - 28 Oct 2014 12:54 #127 by PrintSmith

homeagain wrote:

"PrintSmith wrote: You simply can't assign the value of a person to the value of the labor they are performing. It doesn't work that way. Never has, never will.

[/b]

Not at all. The value of the labor they are performing is what matters, even in the NFL and Hollywood. Those that draw top dollar in salary also draw top performance numbers on the field or at the box office. Thus their compensation is still derived from the value of their labor and not their value as a person. If value as a person were the controlling factor, then Tim Tebow would still be a starting quaterback . . .

28 Oct 2014 13:14 #128 by homeagain
AGAIN, another NON-main stream thought....the "obscene" salaries the sports figures command does NOT equate to the service provided. NURSES, the lifeline of YOUR healthcare in a hospital,TEACHERS that educate YOUR children to think for themselves and hopefully become innovative adults....THOSE individuals provide services that SHOULD be highly rewarded but are NOT. The Inequity within the paradigm is glaring, it is just one of the reasons America is fubared. JMO

28 Oct 2014 13:34 #129 by PrintSmith
And, really, how often is one dependent upon that lifeline in the hospital over the course of their entire life home? I say without fear of contradiction that I have spent far more days enjoying a football game than I have spent recovering from illness in a hospital. Now, the nurse may be more vital if/when I do land in the hospital than a football player ever will be, but for the average person the nurse is far less of a factor in their everyday life.

And really, compared to what I have learned on my own, my teachers taught me very little while I was in school and nothing that I couldn't have learned on my own at the library if I desired to learn it. Abraham Lincoln taught himself to read and write. He taught himself the law, he taught himself surveying. We no longer ask whether or not a person wishes to be educated, we have decided for them that they will be, at least to a certain extent, with what we wish them to be educated in.

28 Oct 2014 14:43 #130 by ScienceChic
Replied by ScienceChic on topic Individual perceptions
Perhaps you have been blessed to not have spent the majority of your life in a hospital, but there are others not so lucky. I would guess that they would place a far greater value on quality of nursing care than a football players' talent and worth.

If asked, do you believe that more people would, if faced with the reality of having to go to the hospital for an urgent or even chronic condition, claim that they would prefer an experienced nurse taking care of them or better football players playing in the game they get to watch once a week for a few weeks of the year?

I'm with homeagain in that we have a very warped, and problematic, system of what's truly important and what it has been deemed to be worth. Perhaps if we paid teachers more, recruited and retained better talent, fostered their continuing education more vigorously, and rewarded those who excel so they stay, then individuals such as yourself wouldn't feel that your teachers "taught you very little", or we wouldn't hear so much about how our school systems suck and our children are lagging behind other nations. Imagine how many people would choose to become teachers if they were compensated what even a rookie base NFL salary was? What an expanded pool of talent we'd have, and what a great investment in our future we'd be making!

Rather than rewarding a minority of the population, we'd be investing in millions more, and propelling them toward successful careers where they earn their own way so we could lessen dependence on government assistance.

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

Time to create page: 0.330 seconds